Just a blast from the past.

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by GreatfulTed, Sep 28, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. GreatfulTed

GreatfulTed New Member

Looking back through the older posts on this forum, apparently once upon a time, folks posted verses, well here is a verse/quote for today.

But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive [Gen. 50:20].

Friend, God has a far-off purpose that you and I do not see. I must confess how human I am about this because I can’t see any further than my nose when trouble comes to me, and I ask, “Why does God permit this to happen?” (what good can come of hugging a commode with my world spinning around me).
    We need to remember that He has a good purpose in view. He is not going to let anything happen to you unless it will accomplish a good purpose in your life.
    Verse and quote from J. Vernon McGee
    Will we see that purpose, is the question. I just don't know. I believe it is there, I have to ask myself am I looking?

2. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

thank you for this - i needed to read this today

3. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

Good one.. thanks

4. Titus

Titus New Member

We used to post lots of scripture and even had Bible studies. Last year we did the Gospel of John, The book of Ruth. A few years back Rev used to have a Sunday sermon. It was great because some of us couldn't go to church because of health issues.

Thanks for reminding us :)

5. joy

joy New Member

How 'bout Mark 9:22-24:

21 Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?"
    "From childhood," he answered.
    22 "It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."

23 " 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."

24 Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

I'm 'the boy's father' lately. But I suppose that's a good thing. I'm being led to dig deeper inside myself.

Let's keep this going. Somebody post another favorite verse & explain why it's your favorite. WE NEED MORE OF THIS - at least I do - especially lately. Okay with you Ted?

6. GreatfulTed

GreatfulTed New Member

If you have a favorite and want to talk about why its a favorite, I would be interested in hearing your story.
    If God has touched you in some way I believe it is good for everyone to hear about it.

7. joy

joy New Member

There's undoubtedly another thread titled favorite scriptures or something already ... but ... heck ... I feel like being a hijacking rebel this morning.

Come on people! Bombard me with scriptures & inspirational personal stories!!

8. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Matthew 10:8

New American Standard Bible

"Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give.

This tells me that, as the body of Christ on this earth, Christians are to be as bold as Christ proclaiming the Gospel of the Kingdom of God. One must be bold if one is going to attempt to undertake such a commission as these scriptures urge. Boldness is therefore what brings the Kingdom to earth and anything less, is correspondingly less.

9. nwspin

nwspin New Member

And what good purpose did the 33 innocent children serve in their lives have being murdered by John Wayne Gasey?

Your statement above may relate to your hugging the commode but I don't think you can make such a broad statement about everything that happens to us in our lives. Otherwise we are just puppets with God pulling the strings.

10. joy

joy New Member

But God doesn't WANT puppets - he didn't create us to be puppets - that's why people like Gacey get the choice to do what they do.

I'm not sure about the quote from J. Vernon McGee, but remember McGee said this, not God. The Bible says something similar, but leaves out the "in your life" part.

nwspin, I haven't the foggiest idea why things like that happen. I have a mom who's in miserable, pitiful shape ... she's almost bedridden & in pain most of the time. Dad has to do EVERYTHING for her now. Why won't God just take her home?? I dunno for sure ... but ... maybe ... just maybe there's a nurse she & Dad have encountered ... or a neighbor or a doctor ... or another patient who has seen Christ's love in the love shared between my parents. Maybe their misery & suffering has touched somebody else's life in a spiritual & eternal way. My beautiful absolutely perfect-in-every-way daughter has polycystic kidney disease. She will most likely have to go through dialysis & transplant in her life time. Dialysis is a nice little interesting word ... but it's a hellish experience that makes life pretty miserable. When Em was diagnosed a year ago, of course I said "God, ya know, you COULD have given Em a pass on this stupid disease! Why didn't you??!" Then I thought my own answer: Why should He? Why should my Em be immune to diseases of earthly bodies? And why on earth am I asking God to take away something that might enable Em to witness to countless other people who may not know about faith in God & His love & His power & His GOD-ness!

That's what I lean on - the fact that I don't see the big picture or the WHOLE picture. In the life of a Christian, there's this blip we call a life time & then there's eternity. It has to be enough ... & for me, it is.

Why does some of this garbage happen? Ya know, sometimes I just have to sit back & say doo-doo happens. There is evil in the world. There are bad choices made with horrendous consequences directly or indirectly affecting innocent people. What we DO with the doo-doo & it's aftermath is called our Christian walk/faith/struggle.

11. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Regarding John Wayne Casey:

The Almighty has His own purposes, and they are not of this world. And we are not given to know these purposes. One of those purposes that we are not given to know is the origin of the evil that originated in the heart or mind of John Wayne Casey, or why evil is presently allowed to live in an imperfect world. But what we are given to know is that all things work for good for those who love the Lord, and that in the end the imperfect will be made perfect;that their will be no more tears, no more suffering, no more death. We are given to know that no present suffering can eclipse that already suffered by the living God. And we are given to know that in the end, whatever force of evil that caused John Wayne Casey to do what he did will be eradicated from existence.

12. GreatfulTed

GreatfulTed New Member

Proverbs 3:6 (ESV) In all your ways acknowledge him, and He will make straight your paths.
    I make no bones about it, I have alot to learn and there is alot I do not understand, so I need all the help that I can get to straighten out all the things going in this world.
    When I make a decision I want it to be the right one. Something I believe that everone wants. Wouldn't it be great if every decision we make in life was the right one. You will never get me to believe that someone has never made a wrong decison in their lives. So where do you turn?
    Opinions are like back sides, everybody's got one and most of the time, if you wait around long enough, they will show it to you.
    On this forum there are all kinds of opinions, one of the things I like about this place. Do I agree with all of them, NO.
    Does everyone make a strong argument for there case, YES. So how do I decide.
    First I look to God to help me. I believe in the Bible, the Bible says he will never steer me in the wrong direction(Romans 8:28). Do you have to agree with me, No.
    Here again the Bible says that there are people who will never agree. By the way for those folks who do not agree, i admire your passion and conviction in you discussions. I may disagree with you, I hope that we can agree to disagree on things but I believe we would all be better if we had a little more passion and conviction in our lives. so my hats off to ya.
    HS and some of the others, that have taken a stand for God, shown boldness, you go Glory to God, Someday I hope that I am better in my boldness for God. sorry about getting off topic there just a little.
    In my life, I have made some major bad decisions. So I figured this is not working for me. I need to change the things that I can change. I started looking for a different direction. I found the direction that works for me.
    Does this mean that I do not have bad things going on in my life, NO. As much as I like reading the posts on this forum, if I had my choice, I wish any of us had never heard of Meneire's disease, little long have it. Just the fact that I am here says that I have some not so good things happening in my life.
    Has it stopped me from making stupid mistakes, NO. I am still a man, I can be as stubborn and thick headed as the next one that comes along. My weakness is a sign that says "STOP don't do that", my first thought is always "why not"? I believe my human/subborn nature keeps me from hearing God sometimes. God may tell me do not stick your finger in that fire, I say why not as I am sticking my finger in the flame. Burnt again.
    My wife helps me a great deal also. I love her, trust her without question.
    IN MY EXPERIENCE, (may not have been your experience) in mine EVERYTIME I have followed God's direction, In time it has worked out for me. May not have been what I wanted or what I thought was right, but it worked out best for everyone in the situation. Cannot tell you how many times I have said, WOW, did not see that one coming, thanks God.
    Well, I will get off my soapbox now. Have a great day

13. Butterfly

Butterfly I will learn to fly agian.

Thanks for posting the Bible verses. I really enjoyed them. :)

14. Titus

Titus New Member

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:5,6

Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you to the kingdom. Luke 12:32

Trust God and give the burden of your fear to him :)

15. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:6

This is the second time I have read this today. I'm sitting here watching the Braves and Frisco. And its interesting to contemplate the number of professional athletes who do just that, acknowledge God right there on the field. I never thought about that, but this scripture is likely the origin of that practice. So while I'm at it, praise God for every New day.

16. joy

joy New Member

"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me." Ps. 51:10.

From the time I was 4 or 5 until I left the church of my birth, I sang that verse ... & never really paid much attention to the words or the meaning. I thought the music was pretty though & it was expected at a certain time in the church service for the congregation to respond with it. I'm sorry I did it all strictly in response to the pastor's instruction & not from my heart ... but I'm thankful for the millions of times I sang that because I remember it NOW & I repeat it & I PRAY it now.

Listening to the actual words of hymns & praise songs is something I've finally(!) started doing - regardless of whether or not I like the tune. Christian song lyrics are like mini sermons & I don't have to wait until Sunday morning to hear them!

AND

A dear friend directed me to Psalm 9-1-1, i.e., Ps. 91:1 - "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." How awesome is THAT?!

17. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

I have found in my limited life - that when something bad happens or someone is bad - people point their fingers at Jesus (first and foremost).

When things are good and people are good - no-one gives Jesus the credit.

People cannot have it both ways. Some people are evil and some people just make wrong decisions. I am so very thankful for a God that forgives a true and humbled heart.

18. KTabc

KTabc Cheese Head Dumbass

Free will--God gave us free will to decide what type of life we choose to live and how we choose to live it. The reason for suffering? That is a personal journey with God that we must figure out for ourselves. I believe it is about learning lessons, being an example for people. Suffering has taught me patience, compassion, love of life (which I wasn't digging after my divorce), and letting go..............

I believe God is an energy/spirit that surrounds us and is IN us...........

Isaiah 40:31
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint

And, of course it from Isaiah--that is my grandson's name--who is due in 7 days :)

19. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

keep us updated on Isaiah :)

20. GreatfulTed

GreatfulTed New Member

Like the name and verse
    Congrats on Isaiah -