John of Ohio

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Sholly, Jun 6, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Ha! I love chocolate!

Thanks for the info...I'm interested in all ideas regarding MD. The problem is, no proper protocols have been applied to any of the popular 'treatments' with regard to efficacy, or even data capture at the most basic levels. This makes most non surgical approaches a gamble at best.
    As always, I'd take advice from your doctor, though taking vitamins and supplements may go some way towards boosting your body's natural systems.
    Your remission was a long one...look forward to the next, and maybe by then, some clever team will have more answers.

Stay well (dark chocolate is my fave)

Chris

2. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Rose, what caused your remissions?

3. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I hope I get another remission. My doctor doesn't think I will. I realize that I'm one of the "lucky" ones. I've been blessed with long periods between episodes and do not have vertigo. But, because I'm already deaf in my left ear, this profound drop in hearing in the right with no apparent answers is debilitating. I don't hear music anymore and it's difficult to hear my baby. I feel like such a whiner in the face of what others are going through on this board, but the only experience I have is my own.

And, dark chocolate is my fave too! Maybe I'll have some tonight with a glass of wine and see if I can't rule that out as well! Wouldn't that be a relief? ;D

4. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Henry:

She indicated nothing at all, they were spontaneous, she indicated she ate regular diet, just the natural course of the disease.

5. chrisj

chrisj Guest

My doctor told me that my hearing was gone for good, that the hair cells were permanently damaged. He told me to live with it.

But, after nine months, my hearing returned, by and large. The low freqs came back, though I still have a couple of gaps. The point is that doctors, particularly GPs, only practice what they've been taught. They tend to take the pessimistic stance.

Interestingly, my hearing started coming back in 24 hour windows, followed by a week, a month, a relapse, and now a compromise, with reasonable hearing, but nasty tinnitus and still that bloody fullness!

[sigh]...... Ah well, things are worse at sea.

Red wine and chocolate are fine with me, though Chinese food (I guess the MSG) sends me deaf for days...

For me, exercise helps a lot. I know that many people are unable to exercise, with the vertigo, but in my case, a trot on the treadmill leaves me feeling on top of the world!

Cheers,

Chris

6. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

7. chrisj

chrisj Guest

The fact is, Shartsoe, that for an MD sufferer, it's a bit like the Wild West. There are good guys, and snake oil merchants on every dusty street corner. Up to this point, lack of research into the disease has left a gulf. It's a rich breeding ground for 'cures'

Do they work? Who knows, because most of the purveyors haven't done their homework sufficient to present you with a case that is anything but anecdotal.

When your health is on the line, demand facts, demand proof, not testimonials!

8. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Well said Chris

Chris if running makes you feel on top of the world, keep running my friend

9. chrisj

chrisj Guest

I'm always on the run, Joe!

10. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Me too Chris, the law is hard to elude!!!!!

11. chrisj

chrisj Guest

They are coming for you....is that the IRS at your door?

12. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

13. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Ok, here is an example of what I am talking about. Your doctor does not think that you will have have another remission. So you will be 'unlucky.' What I am trying feebly to convey is that there is no 'luck' to it. There is a reason for remission just like there is a reason for the symptoms to begin with. But the way your doctor is teaching you to think about these things, you are lucky or unlucky, and because it is luck at work, there is nothing that either of you can do about it. Well, that might be right, but it also might be wrong. But if you are conditioned to believe that luck controls remission, then you will not be looking for the reasons your symptoms remit, which if known, would also yield the reasons for your symptoms to begin with. And no one who has successfully treated their Meniere's symptoms has thought of these things in terms of 'luck.' Had they, they would not have discovered the cause of their symptoms. Discovering the cause may take a lot of work. But know that others have done this and it is not beyond possibility that you can discover these reasons as well. I hope this is starting to sink in.

14. chrisj

chrisj Guest

As a rule, people who have discovered the cause of their symptoms do not have MD. They have a condition which produces MD like symptoms. There is a firm distinction.

And yes, luck is not the major factor, it's more probably the individual's immune system fighting back with varying degrees of success.

15. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Henry:

What is a person to do if joh and nucca did not work for them?

16. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Henry:

is it safe to say you do not have mm but upper cervical vertio since spine manipulation worked for you?

17. chrisj

chrisj Guest

= MD like symptoms.

18. Kee

Kee Guest

It always work. Haven't you been paying attention? ;)

19. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

Well, isn't that the point with MD itself? It, in and of itself is not a disease all on it's own .. if it were they could just pin it down and treat it .. right? I mean, if you find that your symptoms seem to be viral in nature are you saying you don't have MD then? Because my understanding is because there are so many variables with it and because there is no one single root cause yet found, it remains elusive.

20. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member