John of Ohio Regimen Updated

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by John of Ohio, Mar 7, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

I’ve updated my Meniere’s Treatment Regimen.

No major changes.

I re-ordered the sequence of regimen components, putting the lysine first, as it’s the single most important part of the regimen, the only element that actively suppresses the herpes virus infection that is the root-cause of most Meniere’s cases.

I also increased the maximum lysine dose to 5000 mgs (over the previous 4500). A number of herpes experts have noted that teh previous 1500 or 3000 mg daily doses of lysine simply have not been able to suppress herpes activity in many cases. 5000 or 6000 mgs may be needed. I’ve used the more conservative 5000 mg figure.

I updated all the product numbers and prices, to reflect them currently, as opposed to the 2011 numbers in the previous listing. (And no, I get no commissions or profit in no way from anyone’s use of the regimen.)

I’ve removed most Vitamin Shoppe product listings, as VitaCost has identical or superior products, at lower prices.

I’ve also slightly expanded discussion of other Meniere’s treatments, including prescription antiviral therapies.

Lastly, I updated the current regimen “success” and “failure” tallies — which altogether have the same high rate of “success,” but a lower total number. I’ve tossed a number of accounts (all positive) from many years ago, which don’t apply to any contemporary version of the regimen.

Take the time to read the many pages of the PDF, here:
    http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.PDF

–John of Ohio

2. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

My, Johnni, you read and consider 15 pp of text in a hurry. We're impressed

--John of Ohio

3. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Thanks for the update John.

Is it just me or are there less components than 4 years ago or so? This is the first time that I remember reading that SERC and the Lemon Bioflavonoids were doing the same job :) I've often thought about taking the Lemon Bioflavonoids but I take SERC so I'm good then.

4. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

The version 4 yrs ago had beta-glucans. I've deleted that because from multiple reports it offered no benefit. It supports the innate immune system; but didn't help much with MM.

SERC, lemon bioflavonoids, vinpocetine, and ginkgo extract all increase inner ear circulation, helping to facilitate the removal of excess fluids accumulated in the inner ear (the hydrops factor). But each of those substances accomplish the drainage by different biochemical and bio-mechanical methods.

I think lemon bioflavonoid is better than SERC. It's cheaper. and can be used with SERC.

--John of Ohio

5. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Ok ... thanks. :)

SERC is free for me but I might try the lemon bioflavonoids to deal with my constant tinnitus.

6. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Vinpocetine is better against the tinnitus --- but still not likely to provide any immediate relief. Tinnitus is the longest-lasting, most difficult MM symptom.

--John of Ohio

7. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

Thanks, John! I notice that I seem to do better on more lysine. Do you know the max amount at a time to take so the body can absorb it best? I've been doing 1500 mg per dose a few times per day-wondering if the body still absorbs it well if I'd up it to 2000 3x per day or if it's better to spread it out more. Any idea on that?

8. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Lysine dosage size and frequency --- to suppress the activity of a herpes infection (in our case, in the inner ear) --- is still not a settled matter.

I just upped the maximum lysine dose in my new regimen posting, to 5000 mgs; as a bunch of data, mostly from the lysine-against-cold-sores crowd indicated that my previous 4500 mgs was not enough in some cases. Some lysine/herpes sources said it might take up to 6000 mgs per day to gain control.

Then, how often and when should all of this be taken? One thing is clear. If the lysine gets mixed with food, it is digested and used with other dietary amino acids and not much gets into the blood in pure form, where it can attach to herpes viruses and disrupt or stop their replication.

I think it's better to take smaller doses spread out through the day, as opposed to two or three big doses. For the 4000 mg dose level, you could take eight 500 mg capsules spread out across the day. (But no one has the patience or time to do that.)

So, instead, take 1000 mgs (two 500 mg capsules) four times a day; away from food or meals.

Aside from the confounding tedium of all of this lysine dosing, the lysine takes its good time to nail the herpes viruses --- sometimes many weeks.

As always, keep us posted on your progress.

--John of Ohio

9. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

John, what's the reason that vinpocetine is best for tinnitus? Is it safe to take long term? if tinnitus is my main concern, should I consider adding it to my regimen?

10. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

BG,

Vinpocetine has quieted or stopped tinnitus for a good number of people --- but only after a lengthy dosing period, often months. For some, it doesn't work against tinnitus (nor does anything else).

Is it safe? Very much, at 10 to 30 mg per day. It has been shown in a study to suppress rheumatoid arthritis, and it really increases blood flow through the brain, wiping out typical brain fog. College students pop 10 or 20 mgs before an exam, to enhance thinking and recall.

A very few have tachycardia, rapid hearbeat, with vinpoceine ---- but so few it's not listed as a side effect on most vinpocetine internet info sites, nor on the product label.

Don't take it in the evening, as it can keep you alert and awake when you go to bed.

My dear mother had a stroke, but was taking 10 mgs of vinpocetine each morning, and the physician was quite astounded at how little brain function she lost during and after the stroke. In Russia, vinpocetine is a drug of choice for stroke, as it dramatically increases blood flow in ischemic parts of the brain, without diverting blood flow from elsewhere.

If vinpocetine were a prescription drug, it would be heavily advertised and frequently prescribed by doctors.

Russian cosmonauts on the International Space Station take vinpocetine before and after launch. NASA doesn't use it. American astronauts almost always have a few-day period of space sickness (vertigo) on the ISS. Cosmonauts seldom or never do. Vinpocetine is the controlling factor.

--John of Ohio

11. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

How vinpocetine suppresses tinnitus is unknown. But it does markedly increase blood flow through the inner ear, so it may help bring nutrients to inner ear, or carry away wastes.

--John of Ohio

12. June-

June- New Member

Thanks for keeping this up to date and in the public domain.

13. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

I addressed this in another thread in regard to L-Lysine and all I got for my concern was a sarcastic reply. It says on my bottle of L-Lysine not to take on a regular basis for more than 6 months. I checked different brands and it said it on each one. I asked my doctor about it, he didn't know right away, got back to me and suggested that after some looking in to it, he would not recommend taking the large dose of L-Lysine longer than the six months.

I did some googling and found some studies that indicate long term use of L-Lysine could be harmful.

I understand that JOH is not a medical professional, yet no one seems to get all jiggety about him recommending the L-Lysine , but Stephen Spring is getting criticized ad nauseum because he is not a medical professional and his protocol may be causing harm? Mind boggling.

How do any of us know that by taking JOH over a period of years we are not causing ourselves harm? We don't but we risk it ( or not) based on information from a non medical person who also purports that autism is caused by a lack of Vitamin D which brings credibility into question.

14. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Very true. That's why I don't support, or advocate, mega dosing on VMS on a short or long term basis. I respect JOH's intelligence and how he put together his regimen, including the constant tweaking, but the truth is that he has no idea how people are going to react to it after years of ingestion. His regimen stems from a theory; there are no facts involved.

15. June-

June- New Member

Rose, with JOH, that is the point, you CAN take it to your doctor and say 'what do you think?' just as you did. With Spring's program you cannot do that because he will not say what it is without signing a non disclosure agreement and even then I do not know how transparent he is about the ingredients. In addition to that, JOH charges $0 payable at your convenience where with Spring it is $5000 or perhaps more payable right now. Even when you do sign the nondisclosure agreement, you dont get any written material, you just get to listen to spring bla bla and you can take notes if you wish. Those are very big differences to me.

16. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

JOH targets the herpes virus while SS targets the immune system. Two different approaches with different costs and investigation.

17. June-

June- New Member

I dont think they are in fact different approaches really. The virus is probably just one more thing like allergies, autoimmune response etc that jack up the immune system. That is the theory with allergy treatment. After all, if it were just virus or just allergy etc, everyone would have it.

But my point is, JOH spits it all out, every last component, ingredient and theory so it can be studied, debated intelligently etc. You can like his program or not like it but at least you know what it is.

18. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

You would with the other stuff too if you signed up for it. It's his private material and I've come to terms with the fact that he has every right to charge for his services. He isn't running a charity.

19. June-

June- New Member

I dont think that is the case. I dont think anyone has said they have all the details in writing on ingredients etc evenafter they paid their money. They said Stephen sits down and talks to them, That is a completely different thing and frankly legal dodge 101.

20. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

The "study" that showed that long-term, hi-dose lysine is "harmful," (caused kidney stones) was done in lab rats, at doses many times (per kg) those of my dose --- or of the tens of thousands who take 3000 to 5000 mgs (or more) to combat cold and genital sores, for years.

You simply can't find one case of any human having any problems from chronic doses of 5000 mg or less.

The physician didn't know, so he had to look it up --- just as laymen do, on the Internet.

The product label "warnings" are because of lawyers, not lysine science.

For those who have misgivings, don't go anywhere near lysine, or anything else in my regimen. Stick with other Meniere's treatments that you will feel safer with.

I've been on my regimen, symptom free, since about 2002, without problems.

Do some Googling with "cold sores, lysine." (No, don't. If you have concerns about lysine safety, nothing other than some replicated double-blind clinical study will assure you. Stay away from lysine. You'll sleep better [when MM symptoms aren't a problem]).

(What about chronic ingestion of protein foods, which can have several grams of lysine?)

--John of Ohio

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.