JOH Regimen Questions

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by GLA, Jan 26, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. MelODY756

MelODY756 New Member

Are some brands of Lysine better than others? I purchased mine from Walgreens....and then another bottle at Walmart. Is this wise? or is potency better by going to a Vitamin/supplement specialty store?

2. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

L-lysine is a standard, no-differences commodity molecule. All the same. 500 mg of one brand exactly the same as 500 mg of any other.

--John of Ohio

3. RUfan

RUfan New Member

I am new to this....unfortunately and have never posted on a site. I am under the care of an ENT and took the Lysine today (trying something new). Should I start with the Lysine? This is all so confusing.

4. GLA

GLA New Member

As JOH has said, he believes lysine to be the most important component of the regimen. He'll probably eventually chime in and suggest you begin with the lysine, then incorporate the lemon bioflavonoids and so on.

I'm actually going to make an appointment with a naturopath here in Houston to discuss the regimen (not that I don't believe JOH, just think it's a good idea). I'll report back and let everyone know what I find out.

5. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Of all the elements in my regimen (posted here: http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf), lysine is a good one to start with (but I unfortunately did not list it first in the list---I should have).

Be sure to take 3000 mgs per day, with attetntion to food avoidance as mentioned in the write-up,

The regimen has the best success when all the other components are also used.

And ask your ENT to also prescribe acyclovir or another prescription antiherpetic drug. When used in combination with the regimen's lysine and other elements, you have the highest chance of symptomatic relief.

Keep us posted on your progress.

--John of Ohio

6. GLA

GLA New Member

John:

Should we be taking the C-2000 or C-1000 sustained release vitamin C?

I've incorporated the Lemon Bios, Gingko and Lysine. I'll be adding the vinpocetine on Friday and the sustained release vitamin c next week.

Thanks!

7. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

I find it best to take one 1000 mg (1 g) of any of the several sustained-release vitamin C products twice a day, about 13 hr apart (Well, I take one when going to bed, the other, after breakfast.)

It doesn't hurt to take more, if you have a 2000 mg product. But that could be physically split in half, and take a split half twice a day.

The goal is to keep some vitamin C circulating in the blood stream. The kidney quickly excretes vitamin C, so taking a sustained 1000 mg dose is far more effective than simply popping a 1000 mg capsule.

Keep us posted on your progress. Welcome results usually take some time to take effect, so be patient

--John of Ohio

8. GLA

GLA New Member

Thanks, John. I'm not expecting any overnight success as I've been dealing with MM for a long time.

I just ordered the sustained release c-1000 from vitamin shoppe. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

9. Nancyr

Nancyr New Member

GLA, please give this a try , I found relief in 2 weeks and i am slowly but steadily improving, once in awhile, I will have some smaller scale vertigo but this is mainly due to things I cannot wholly control....stress at the office, sinus infections, allergies, etc.
    but it works for me....I printed off the JOH regimen and gave it to my doctor for her to look at and study, I would recommend this to all and she could find mouthing harmful and she is a scholar, used to teach at a local college, found the paperwork interesting as she is
    seeing more like me. I STILL still have tinnitus but it is getting gradually better. And, John, I would like to ask a dumb question....the 2 hour waiting period without food before taking the lysine......is it ok to have liquids? Water, tea, or milk? I thank you and bless you for your regimen as it has given me my life back..last year I missed several weeks from the extreme dizziness, have not missed ANY work since starting it.

10. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

And, John, I would like to ask a dumb question....the 2 hour waiting period without food before taking the lysine......is it ok to have liquids? Water, tea, or milk?

Nancy,

It's a 20-min interval between lysine and a meal. After a meal, wait 2 hrs to take the lysine. Water certainly would be Ok during either of those intervals. Tea, too, would probably be Ok, as they have no proteins. Milk, does -- so, no, don't drink that.

If lysine is consumed with food (which has protein, which always includes lysine in the protein), the body digests it all and sends all the amino acids (lysine is an amino acid) off into the circulatory system where the amino acids are then used to synthesize new proteins (as with growing hair, finger nails, skin, etc.).

But if the lysine amino acid is consumed alone, with no others (hence, the minimum 20 min before a meal, or 2 hrs after one), the lysine is not so quickly taken up by body tissues for protein synthesis. Instead, the lysine molecules are more likelly to be taken up by a replicating herpes virus, which then complicates the replication and the virus becomes diabled.

It's not a quick, one-time, right-now process. It can take weeks or in some cases months to get enough herpes viruses disabled by the lysine to stop whatever disease the herpes virus is causing, whether cold sores or Meniere's symptoms.

--John of Ohio

11. upgrader

upgrader New Member

Hi i have tried your protocol and believe it easied my symptoms unfortunately i had to stop becuase the lysine was making me short on breath and would turn my lips white, have you heard of anyone else that has had this type of reaction to lysine

Unfortunately my GP here in the uk will not prescribe me antivirals

12. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

I have no reports of lysine causing any side effects. But clearly, you had some sort of reaction to it and was wise to terminate the lysine ingestion.

The best alternative, as you know, is antiviral drugs such as acyclovir.

There are reports that olive leaf extract can effectively suppress herpes virus infections (http://www.oliveleafextract.com/herpes.html). You might want to try substituting an olive leaf extract product. Let us know your results, if so.

It is known that the vitamins C and E of the regimen support the immune system and facilitate its suppression of herpes viruses (but not as effectively as lysine).
    --John of Ohio

13. upgrader

upgrader New Member

Thanks John, i will look to get some olive leaf extract and report back

I also noticed the below item on ebay that claims to have natural anti viral properties, would this be genuine and worth considering?

Pure Planet Red Marine Algae PLUS 90 caps Anti-Viral VIRUS SUPPORTPure Planet Red Marine Algae PLUS 90 caps Anti-Viral VIRUS SUPPORT

Aloe and garlic are two well-known herbal antivirals. The healing power behind both herbs is in their chemical compositions; aloe contains polysaccharides, while garlic contains sulfates. These two chemical components are potent antiviral agents.

In nature, only red marine algae brings them together where their power is multiplied into a sulfated polysaccharide that acts as a “super antiviral.” The real hero to many sufferers might not be a drug at all but a natural whole food supplement.

Red marine algae is a natural source of sulfated polysaccharides that works by supporting the immune system and halting the spread of viruses.In a clinical study published in the Journal of Clinical Virology, researchers analyzed the antiviral properties of several natural compounds. According to their report, “Among the 15 natural compounds tested, only ‘red marine algae’ (an extract rich in sulfated polysaccharides) exhibited strong activity when added during virus [collection].” Sulfated polysaccharides are thought to help activate the production of lymphocytes, stimulating the formation of antibodies and inhibiting the replication of viruses.

Clinical studies have found that the dumontiaceae strain of red marine algae helps to control and lessen the population of the herpes simplex virus, reducing the frequency and severity of outbreaks. Additional clinical studies have produced two patents clearly stating the efficacy of dumontiaceae in reducing the symptoms and outbreaks of herpes I and herpes II—all of this without any of the side effects frequently associated with prescription medications

14. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Give that algal product a try, if you will. Worth investigating.

But be aware, results are not likely to happen quickly, as the herpes virus in the inner ear responds to all anti-virals rather slowly, with a few exception.

--John of Ohio

15. Nancyr

Nancyr New Member

Thank you, John, for explaining to me. I have been very careful for the 2 hours after,normally all I do is just sip water. I cannot thank you enough for your past studies re this disease, I cannot imagine what you went thru to reach the results of your regimen. You along with some wonderful other well informed members of this forum give me and others hope....I am actually planning a garden this spring and there is no way I could have done this in the past 2 years....I wouldnt have been able to bend over and plant! That is why I am keeping members of this forum in my daily prayers that they too can find joy and some relief from this disease.

16. GLA

GLA New Member

John:

I recently read that drinking a glass of hot lemon water immediately upon awakening in the morning is a good cleanse for the liver/kidneys. Is it safe to assume that I can take the lysine with the lemon water? I'm assuming so, since you said iced tea is alright, but I figured I'd ask just in case.

I just started incorporating vinpocetine today. So now, I'm currently taking the Lemon Bios, Lysine, Gingko and vincpocetine. I'll be adding the sustained release vitamin c during the early part of next week.

Thanks in advance.

17. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Lysine is not affected by a drink of "lemon water."

The lemon water, however, probably has a slight bit of erioctrin, the lemon bioflavonoid that helps facilitate inner ear circulation; and is the main active ingredient in the lemon bioflavonoid (which is made from lemon rinds).

--John of Ohio

18. GLA

GLA New Member

I figured it was probably a silly question, but I want to be meticulous as possible. Thanks for the quick replies and putting up with my non-stop questions!

19. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

The only dumb or bad question ever asked here is the one never asked. That's why this board, this compendium of Meniere's info and knowledgeable people, is so helpful.

All of us are here to help. Most of us have endured the diseases's debilitations and have searched for new answers that didn't come from conventional therapies.

--John of Ohio

20. RUfan

RUfan New Member

Thanks for the information.....I am going to add the Lemon Bioflavanoid next.....for some reason the vertigo has not been that bad lately (Luckily!)...just trying to get rid of the tinnitus....