JOH Regimen Questions

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by GLA, Jan 26, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. GLA

GLA New Member

I appreciate any advice anyone can provide.

1. I'm considering asking my ENT for a prescription to an antiviral. If I'm taking a prescription dosage of an antiviral, can I still begin the JOH Regimen?
    2. If so, can I still take L-Lysine while taking the prescription meds?
    3. I've actually been taking Gingko Biloba for the last month or so. Should I discontinue usage and add it to the regimen as recommended, or would it be alright to continue its usage and add the lemon bioflavanoids?

I'm sure I'll come up with a couple more questions, but this is a start. Thanks for the help!

2. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

First, be sure to be following the most recent, most successful version of the regimen, here:
    http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf

Nothing in the regimen conflicts or interferes with prescription antiherpetic drugs, such as acyclovir. To the contrarary, they complement each other. It is advantageous to take both at the same time.

Continue with the ginkgo; then add the other regimen components incrementally.

The most important (should have put at the begining of the regimen document) is the 3000 mg of lysine.

Keep us posted on your progress. Feel free to post other questions.

--John of Ohio

3. GLA

GLA New Member

Thanks, John. I really appreciate the feedback.

4. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

Hi John I am about to start with the regimen as well, first with 3 components: Lysine, Gingko, and Lemon Bioflavinoids.

I just want to ask if it's okay to use a lighter dosage during times when I feel better, or should I always keep the same dosage as in the doc?

Also, do you think there are any conflicts with any other supplements or drugs people usually take? I just want to be safe in the future.

Thanks!

5. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

Just realized the lysine dosage can be reduced when symptoms subside. Let me know if you have other comments on the dosage.

Thanks.

6. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Yes, lysine intake can be reduced to a lower maintenance dose; but too many do this too soon, and symptoms come right back. Stay at 3000 mg for several months without symptoms. Then, drop to 2000 mgs for two or three months. Then, another two months at 1500.

If no symptoms then, go on a permanent 500 mg dose. At the first hint of resumed symptoms, shoot right back to 3000 mg.

Remember, the virus will always be in your inner ear, awaiting a period of reduced immunity or stress, when it can resume replicating and making problems. Nothing kills or removes the herpes virus. It's always present, waiting to become active. The lysine (and antiherpetic drugs) suppress the activity.

Herpes-caused Meniere's is like diabetes. No cure, just continual suppressive treatment.

--John of Ohio

7. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

If the old regime was 87% cure rate this new one surely is pushing the cure rate to well over 90% cure rate.

Thanks for posting the last and greatest regime John. I can't wait to get started on it.

8. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Interesting question, the actual success rate of the new regimen version compared to the older versions.

Don't know that. I have now 169 personal accounts of regimen successes and failures. 146 regimen users claim that the regimen was a success, that they are happy that they went with it, and elect to continue to stay on it. 23 people claim the opposite, that the regimen did not give them adequate or any relief and they elect not to continue with it. That's an 86.39% success rate.

But I have no way of determining which regimen version the users were or are using. I can't break out and quantify the separate results of those using the improved 3000 mg of lysine, over the previous 1500 mg. There is no doubt that the 3000 mg work better than the former 1500 mg, as those using lysine to combat cold sores discovered (that's where I learned that my recommendation was too low regarding the lysine).

--John of Ohio

9. GLA

GLA New Member

John:

I just started the regimen yesterday. I had already been taking ginkgo biloba, so I added the lemon bioflavonoid to begin with. I noticed that you said earlier that lysine should've been moved up your list. Would you recommend starting on the lysine before the vinpocetine, or should I stick to the method you've laid out.

I really appreciate the feedback.

-Grant

10. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Lysine is the most important element of the regimen. It's the only one that directly suppresses the activity of the herpes viruses in the inner ear that cause most Meniere's symptoms. The other elements of the regimen facilitate circulation (helping to drain hydrops fluids) and help turn down inflammation.

The order in which you take the regimen elements does not, in the end, affect the efficacy of the regimen. But if I were to re-write the regimen (current one is here: http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf), I'd start the whole thing with the lysine.

Begin the regimen in any order you wish. But you may wish to start with or get on with the lysine as soon as possible.

Keep us posted on your progress.

--John of Ohio

11. GLA

GLA New Member

Thanks, John. I think I'm going to incorporate the Lysine later this week, then follow with the vinpocetine the next week.

Thanks again.

12. GLA

GLA New Member

Okay, I think I've come up with my final question.

I also take a milk thistle supplement and have for years (for reasons unrelated to MM). Is this okay to take with the regimen?

Thanks, John, and I'll update my progress as I go along.

13. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Milk thistle has no connection or complications with the regimen.

--John of Ohio

14. m.k.

m.k. hello

Guys, please remember to consult your physician before starting any of this

15. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Of course, not one in a hundred physicians have ever heard of or knows anything about the safety or efficacy of eriocitrin, the active ingredient in lemon bioflavonoids, nor vinpocetine. Most know little or nothing about the allergy-suppressing affects (and other health benefits) of methylsulfonylmethane (MSM).

I'm posting this not to dissuade anyone from running the regimen past their physician before trying it ---- I specifically recommend that in the regimen write-up.

But don't be surprised if your physician claims it's all placebo, or "we can't be sure any of this is safe or effective."

Most physicians simpy have little or no training or expertise in less common supplements.

You can also consult with a pharmacist, who most likely will do what a physician would do: do an online supplement safety search, perhaps on Google. All the world's knowledge is there.

By asking the physician about the regimen, you will likely have three questions: a) is this stuff safe, b) is this stuff effective, and c) will any of it interfere with all the other drugs I take.

Let us know what the physicians say. Always interesting to learn their responses to alternative therapies.

And of course, don't just put a copy of the regimen (http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf) in the doctor's hands when you walk into the examining room. He hasn't the time right then to read and consider all the information. Get it to his secretary a week or more before the appointment, to give him time to scrutinize and consider all the relevant information. (Same when consulting a pharmacist.)

--John of Ohio

16. m.k.

m.k. hello

JOH, it's never right to advise people to go against their doctors' advice. In your regimen's PDF, you say you are a biologist by training, right? Not a doctor.

Sometimes supplements can be harmful to certain patients. Some herbs can interact with other medicines. It's all about context and it can be downright harmful to tell people to go ahead without consulting their doctor!

I'm sorry, but I find this attitude irresponsible.

The world's knowledge may well be available through Google, but it takes training to know which information is meaningful, and which can be harmful, as well as to know about interactions.

I appreciate that you want to help other sufferers but please not by demeaning physicians/making people distrustful of their doctors.

17. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

What?! He didn't advise people to go against their dr's advice-in fact, he explicitly says in the last post and in the regimen to ck with their doctors.

He is just saying that most dr's pooh-pooh supplements and are not trained in them anyway, so don't necessarily expect a knowledgeable answer when you *do* ask your doctor.

And may of us on here are here because we *haven't* been able to get help from doctors, so we are seeking knowledge on our own. Unfortunately, Meniere's is such an elusive disease that you really need to be able to advocate for yourself when you need to. Many doctors have told us-sorry, can't help you, you'll just have to live with it. So we're not super confident in the medical profession when it comes to helping Meniere's (in general-of course there are great doctors who really try to help)

18. m.k.

m.k. hello

HappyGrace, I've had this disease for 12 years myself and I know the frustrations that go with having it. Yes, doctors don't know everything, but that's partly because nobody knows for sure what causes this yet.

If your doctor "pooh poohs" (aka advises) you not to take a supplement, you should listen. They might be telling you because it interacts with a medicine you're taking.

I agree with you, it's hard to self-advocate with this condition. But it's also dangerous to take advice from the internet more seriously than advice from one's doctor. People could actually get hurt.

As an example: When taking Gingko Biloba, you can't take Ibuprofen. The combination can cause spontaneous internal bleeding, because both slow blood clotting.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-333-GINKGO.aspx?activeIngredientId=333&activeIngredientName=GINKGO

I'm sorry if I came across as harsh. All I am saying is please be careful with supplements, and definitely listen to your doctor. They ARE trained in these things!

19. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

You are right, of course we need to be careful with supplements! I wasn't being harsh either-sometimes "tone of voice" doesn't come across online.

What I meant by "pooh poohs" is a doctor saying it's not going to help, don't bother, etc, without really having knowledge about it (and many, if not most doctors are NOT trained to understand or see any redeeming use to supplements, etc). If they know that it interacts with something, that's different!

20. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Then consult a naturopath, who is supposedly trained in alternative medicine. However way you slice this pie, green-leaves is correct in his assessment.