It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by CarolineJ., Nov 17, 2013.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

2. Titus

Titus New Member

I put up my two trees the weekend after Thanksgiving. They come down on December 26. They are both real trees because I have very limited storage space. The small one is a table top and goes on the glass porch. The larger one is in front of the ceiling to floor windows in the living room. When I walk in the front door, the reflection in the glass, at night, looks like I have 20 trees. It's beautiful. With the advent of LED lights, I leave them lit all the time, day and night.

For years I had artificial trees because I'm chemically sensitive. A couple of years ago I decided to try a small real one. It didn't bother me at all. It brought back all the memories of my mother and I going through the woods in upstate NY looking for the perfect tree. My father would sit in the car and my mom would chop it down and drag it back. We would always decorate it the weekend after Thanksgiving, after setting up our nativity. We also had a huge outdoor nativity and candles in every window of our large, Victorian-style home. We made gingerbread houses, and lots of other fun things. All my aunts would come on Christmas eve and that's when we'd open presents. Then, we'd go to midnight mass.

I have my nativity ready to set up on Thanksgiving night. It just seems right to do it then. The next day I'll get my small tree from home depot, then probably Sunday, the big one.

3. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

You must post pics once you have put all this out :)

4. chrisk

chrisk New Member

Lovely tree Caroline, way to early, but lovely!

5. June-

June- New Member

Kind of like daylight savings time, lol. Or my setting my clock ahead so i wont be late.

6. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Thank you ... I think :D

7. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

I'm busy wrapping gifts right now Chris :D

8. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

My work for this evening is done. Too early? :D

[​IMG]

9. Titus

Titus New Member

[​IMG]
    Last year's trees. The gifts were all blue/silver. This year they are red/gold

10. Titus

Titus New Member

[​IMG]
    Last year's "Bingo" gifts. I invite a dozen friends, mostly older people to my place before Christmas. I wrap a gift card along with a small gift in each box and they play bingo for the prizes. They have a blast playing and we have a huge buffet before the games begin.

I have all my gifts wrapped for this year and today I went to Home Depot because they were selling out of the table top trees. So I guess I'll be decorating my table top before Thanksgiving. It looks pretty from the lake and the houses across the lake can see it.

11. Titus

Titus New Member

[​IMG]
    I have no idea why the link for the gifts didn't copy. I also don't like that we cannot edit or delete our posts.

12. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

I can see the gifts Kim. It worked :)

Beautiful job with the wrappings and the trees are beautiful!!

Thanks for sharing. xx

13. chrisk

chrisk New Member

Cool what did you get me?

14. Aliza

Aliza I'm still standing, alone but upright

Beautiful trees/wrapping guys. Hey Caroline, doesn't matter what you get me. It's the thought that counts. ;)

15. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

:D

Went to a large Christmas show today. It was fun. Tried to support the independent crafters and small entrepreneurs. :)

We also took part in a cheese tasting seminar put on by the Dairy Farmers of Canada. Kind of how you would taste wine. It was quite an eye opener to slowly taste the different cheeses versus pairing it with a cracker and popping it in your mouth.

16. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Cheese and wine do a number on my vestibular system. Can't go near either one. Do you tolerate both? I'm not a drinker. I can't stand the smell of any type of alcohol but being dairy-free has helped me tremendously in the last couple of years. Try it, it might help you with your migraines also (I think you have them, right?)

17. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

I drink rarely, but I don't like wine. And no, not a Migraineur fortunately :)

I was likening the cheese tasting to wine tasting but there was no wine, only cheese. :) I can tolerate dairy with no problem.

18. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Wow ... really cold and windy here today! -4 Celsius feeling like -13 with the windchill. Snowsqualls but too windy to stay on the ground. Unseasonably cold for us but gets the shoppers into the malls and keeps me out of them :D

Enjoying a night in with my little man :) He loved Grandma's tree and decorations. I think he still likes the dog and cat better though :D

[​IMG]

19. Titus

Titus New Member

I could never tolerate any kind of alcohol. Even when I was running and totally healthy, one drink would make me feel bad so I never drank. I miss cheese. I can tolerate a small amount. Since menopause, I can tolerate Greek Yogurt and that is the only dairy I do these days.

I put up the small tree yesterday, watered it and decorated it. Tonight I started putting up the nativity. We decided to do Thanksgiving at the Chart House so no cooking for me! It's been a long time since I've eaten out on a holiday but I'm looking forward to it.

20. Titus

Titus New Member

Oh.....it was 84 and sunny today 8)