Issues with electrolytes and diuretic/low sodium diet

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by dizzybee, Apr 13, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. zotjen

zotjen New Member

Yes, for now I plan on continuing the diuretic. As to whether or not it's safe in the long run, I've read conflicting things. Basically though, it should be safe as long as you take it as directed. A routine blood test would probably show if there are any ill effects. Regarding my symptons, fullness was never really a problem for me. It was only something I occasionally had. In the past couple of weeks though, my hearing has improved and I no longer have hearing distortion. I still have tinnitus but the volume is greatly reduced, but I've suffered from low-level tinnitus for many years which at this point I'm guessing is permanent.

2. dizzybee

dizzybee New Member

Well, yesterday I had my neurologist appointment where he says I'm having migraines - daily. The pressure and lightheadedness he says are the "aura" of my migraines and he put me on a migraine preventative medicine - Cymbalta. It's actually an antidepressant but he says this works for migraines as well (and might take care of my anxiety). We'll see how this goes. My blood pressure was fine at the appointment - it always is. My bloodwork from a couple of months ago was all fine. I drink about 80-90 ounces of water a day. So, time will tell. :) He was also looking through my ENT paperwork - was confused by all the tests having different results. Whatever...they really don't know, do they? ;)

3. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

I am trying to drink more water too..I think it should alleviate some of the sodium effect on Meniere's. 80 ounces a day is 8 glasses of water right?

I think in the past I do like 4-5 per day max...really need to force myself to drink more.

4. ring

ring New Member

One side effect not mentioned in this thread....

Getting up to pee. I always drank a lot of water because I thought it was good for me, but made it through the night. Now I wake up between 1AM and 2AM every night and have to go badly. Its not just a vague sense to go, but desperate. The GP said that should eventually stop, but I don't know. (Yes, I take the diuretic first thing in the morning.) Rest is important in this MM thing, and I am getting less. When I wake up, I start worrying about things etc.

I gave up alcohol when this started, but if I had a couple of beers at night I would be getting up more.

5. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

This is the great tragedy of Meniere's disease...........!

Ron

6. dizzybee

dizzybee New Member

Oh my God....that made me laugh so hard!!! Yes...tragic!!! ;)

7. dizzybee

dizzybee New Member

I read somewhere that you're supposed to drink half your weight in ounces.

8. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Damn right.

9. zotjen

zotjen New Member

When I first started taking the diuretic and had cramps, drinking more water did help. Now that I no longer have side effects I'm not drinking extra water. I probably should though, especially with the warmer months approaching.

As far as alcohol, I don't drink that much to begin with as I have issues with it elevating my liver enzymes. Right now though I don't plan on giving it up but we'll see what happens when I do actually imbibe since I haven't really drank since I've been on the low salt/diuretic regimen. I don't ever recall noticing any corellation between alcohol and my symptoms.

10. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

I don't think there is a way to know due to the fluctuating nature of our symptoms. I went lo so, was on a diuretic, no caffeine, no dairy for ten years and my vertigo came and went with no pattern. I stopped all meds and diet restrictions and haven't had vertigo for almost 6 years.

I still eat relatively lo so for other health reasons but have reintroduced dairy, limited caffeine and I feel better than I did when I was on a diuretic.

My neurotologist told me that trying lo so was something they came up with in the 70's as a hail Mary type remedy and she does not think it is the answer.

11. ring

ring New Member

Uhhhh. I thought LO SO was the "Gold Standard"

12. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

Could be where you are. I am in Canada and Serc is usually the first thing to try. My first doc suggested lo so as well, but no doctor I have seen for MM was ever very enthusiastic about lo so working. I tried it for 10 years and it made no difference to my frequency or strength of vertigo attacks.

Ironically I have felt the best when I was doing nothing about diet restrictions or taking any medication at all.

13. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

very interesting..yeah i also heard the lo-so / diuretic link to Meniere's theory is extremely weak. Have they ever even done a study or anything about it?

it probably all comes down to eating healthy in general, and improving your immune system.

14. dizzybee

dizzybee New Member

That's what I'm thinking, too. I just don't understand why the doctors don't know for sure. It just seems ridiculous to me :/

15. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Doctors are medical students. All they know is what they learned in medical school, which is to prescribe drugs.

I'm not knocking doctors. Most are good people who care about their patients. But they have a very limited knowledge of holistic medicine and the inter-relationships of all the different bodily functions.

I read somewhere that in all their years of training, medical students get like one or two days of instruction about nutrition and diet. This is insane to me!

I just copped a new juicer and I'm going to slam down tons of carrot juice with spinach, beets, etc. This is like mega vitamin stuff. I did this back in the old days, and it made me feel so energetic and healthy. But I kind of got away from it in subsequent years because it's a bit of work.

Stephen Spring told me that a plant-based diet is the best for your overall health and immunity.

16. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

When you juice you don't get the benefits you would get from eating the whole fruit or vegetable. All you get is the sugar. Better to blend in a Vitamix, for example, so you are also consuming the fiber which helps offset the effects of all that sugar.

I am not sure than a plant based diet is best. It is good to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, as well as various forms of protein, but maybe Spring is now also a nutritionist so no point arguing his perspective.

The key thing that boosts the immune system is exercise. Not too much or that debilitates you but you need plenty of daily exercise.

17. ring

ring New Member

Doesn't the phrase idiopathic disease make you feel so comfortable?

18. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

is it possible to reboot your immune system through hardcore diet / cleansing plus exercise?

like do a gluten-free vegan diet (i heard its possible to do and still get enough nutrients), drink nothing but 8 glasses of water per day or fresh fruit/veggie juices, no stimulants (alcohol, smoking, caffeine), controlled sugar and salt, no processed foods. intense cardio exercise or sauna every day alternating days, 9 hours of sleep at least per day.

doesn't have to be permanent, but do this for 6 months and it's gotta help with the immune systems right?

19. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Vitamix is a bit too expensive for me.

I'm not going on a juice fast; I'll eat the stuff, too, for the fiber. Yeah, carrot juice is sweet, but you mix in spinach or kale, etc. to tone it down and add calcium and B vitamins. You can't possibly eat enough veggies to get the vitamins in juice.
    Like all things: moderation is key.

I agree about exercise. But it's a bit difficult when you're falling-down dizzy.

The FDA came out with a statement in the 90's that plant-based diet is optimal. I've always wondered about that, because I don't trust the FDA.....

20. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

No I doubt it. "Rebooting the immune system" makes as little sense as saying cleansing the body of toxins or juicing to repair the body, etc. These are terms clever book authors come up with to make higher sales.

I just think that with this SS immune system stuff, there is a general confusion on the forum as to what exactly immune system breakdown really is. If your immune system were truly in that bad of a shape, you'd be getting sick with diseases and conditions that are far worse than MM and much more life threatening.

Yes eating well (for your specific body) is definitely a plus but you still see cancer, psoriasis, deafness, autism, etc. in individuals whose diets are impeccable.

I know it is just me but this whole Spring and his immune system thing just comes across as a brilliantly packaged gimmick. Of course I could be eating crow some day but for now that's just how it seems to me.