Is There a Missing New Factor in Meniere's Treatment? Something to Consider.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by John of Ohio, Dec 27, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Carole,

A single beta 1,3 glucans tablet is sufficient.

Keep us posted on your progress.

--John of Ohio

2. sunnycowtown

sunnycowtown New Member

John,

I have been on your Regimine now for over 6 months. I began last August when I had a full blown attack while I was on vacation. I have recently uped my dosage of Vitamin D and will now make sure I am getting 4000MG daily. I almost never have fullness in the ear now or tinnitus or dizziness. I have also eliminated gluten. My question is, can I now scale back on any of the vitamins in your Regiman? Are there any concerns about using any of these vitamins and supplements long term? I am thinking about taking all of my vitamins to a pharmacist locally to have him review all of my supplements and possible contradictions. :)

Thank you,

Stacy in Northern CA

3. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Very interesting John and Rick, thank you so much for all your work.

I've been using a Northern Lights SAD Sun Lamp for about 15 years now during the winter to increase my Vitamin D level (Light Therapy). Something to consider instead of supplements?

http://www.ehow.com/about_5566769_sun-lamp-healing-uses.html

4. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Stacy,

First, you are taking 400o IU of vitmain D, not 4000 mgs. That would be 4 grams, way too much. No concern with 4000 IU, which will bring good health in a number of areas. Keep it up.

You ask if you can scale back any parts of the regimen. Only one part, the lysine --- IF you haven't had any major dizzy or vertigo attacks for a few months. Right now, things seem to be good, as you mentioned, with little fullness, tinnitus, or dizzies. It does sound like the regimen has really worked for you. At this point, you can cut back the lysine to a single maintenance dose. I take my 500 mg lysine maintenance dose just before going to bed.

But I'd recommend that you continue with everything else (except Vertigoheel or Cocculus Compositum, which serve no purpose when you have no vertigo). Cutting back on any of the other parts of the regimen is to invite symptoms to come back. The hard truth is that you (and everyone else here) will have Meniere's Disease for the rest of your life. You will need to take measures against it for the rest of your days.

Fortunately, when you've gotten relief, as you've described, this can continue as long as you continue with the regimen. I've been free of MM symptoms for at least 8 years now, staying on the regimen.

Yes, there are concerns about taking all this stuff long term. If you stop, symptoms are likely to come back. Simple as that. Conversely, none of this stuff has any longterm side effects or undesireable results. Very much the opposite. All of the elements of the regimen will provide other longterm health benefits, not just for Meniere's.

The only concerns would be if you go in for surgery, when you should go off the vitamin E and ginkgo, as these are anticoagulant, as your pharmacist should indicate.

But don't expect the pharmacist to know anything about lemon bioflavonoid, vinpocetine, MSM, Vertigoheel, or beta glucans. And he or she may not know anything about lysine and its suppression of herpes viruses. Don't be surprised if the pharmacist says that he'll have to get back to you all of this. He'll then do what everyone here does. He'll go to his computer and will type in a Google search for all of these.

If the pharmacist comes up with any contraindications, please post them. Except for breastfeeding (when a number of the regimen components---and most everything else, too---shouold not be consumed), the regimen is very safe and helpful.

Again, please keep us posted on your progress. Right now, it sounds like the regimen is providing welcome relief.

--John of Ohio

5. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Amethyst,

I checked the website, and it raised some concerns.

First, the author claims, "Sun lamps (also called solar lamps) capture the sun's vitamin D and store solar energy for use as electrical power."

This is not so. The sun has no vitamin D that can be captured and used as electical power. Vitamin D is a molecule, not an energy form.

Secondly, sun lamps, as I understand them, provide ample amounts of infra-red radiation, not ultraviolet-B (UV-B), the light frequencies from the sun that cause the photosynthesis of vitamin D in the exposed skin.

In short, I doubt that any sun lamp actually provides enough UV-B to cause the skin to make any appreciable amount of vitamin D. That's not that the a sun lamp can't be healthful. The infra-red can warm the skin and promote healing and increased circulation. But I question how much useful vitamin D is produced.

Large amounts of vitamin D can be produced in a tanning booth or bed, where the lights are made for ample UV-B production.

--Johnf of Ohio

6. egross

egross New Member

John,

I've started ordering the supplements you've listed. I'm having surgery Jan 12th so I'm not going to start until after. I have a question. I get migraines frequently and cannot eat citrus. Would the lemon bioflavaniod be a problem for me?

Elaine

7. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Elaine,

The lemon bioflavonoid most probably will cause no problems, as it has only a small portion of lemon rind in it, not the entire contents of a lemon. But the only way to find out is to take it and see.

This is exactly why I stronglly encourage regimen users to add individual components of the regimen one at a time, for a few days before going on to the next one. This way, you can know exactly which part of the regimen caused any problems, if any do (and for most, they don't).

Please keep us posted on your progress.

--John of Ohio

8. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

John,

Two years ago my Dr. told me I had border line Diabetes and would most likely develop into Diabetes within the next five years. Taking the advice you gave me I have been taking vitamin D 2000 IU a day for the past eight months.
    I went and had a checkup last month and was told everything was normal and nothing showing to indicate any pre Diabetes. Until now after reading this I did not make the connection.

Coincidence? I wonder...

9. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

I can see why you'd be concerned with that quote "Sun lamps (also called solar lamps) capture the sun's vitamin D and store solar energy for use as electrical power." It's a rather ludicrous statement. Sorry, I just grabbed that site quickly to reference Sun Lamps – I obviously could have done much better in my link. Light Therapy is so common up here (Canada) that I’ve read numerous articles on the subject. The lamps are sold at most pharmacies and big box stores at a range of prices, and I’m sure, quality.

Now that I’ve taken some time to look into a better reference, here’s nother one to take a look at – from the Vitamin D council:

(source: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/depression.shtml)

According to all studies, certainly light therapy does not provide as much vitamin D as supplements do however these lights have been used for many years now (approx 20) in the treatment of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). They definitely work for their intended purpose.

Amethyst

10. June-

June- New Member

What?! Did you lose weight or change your diet? Did you start exercising daily? Was your prediabetic state diagnosed by a fasting blood sugar? I am curious as I am in the same state.

11. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

These were the same questions that my Doctor asked me, and my answer was nothing any different!
    My prediabetic state was diagnosed by a fasting of a blood sugar test, that crap you drink and wait two hours.
    I was taking the D to help prevent cancer.

12. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Also I can recall Vitamin C was going to be a health savior as well with Dr. Linus Pauling (however I'M keeping an open mind)

13. 1artsychick

1artsychick New Member

I found out that I have a vitamin D deficiency a couple of months ago. I'm taking a liquid Vitamin D3 supplement by Country Life because they are certified Gluten Free and I have Celiac Disease. I kept complaining to the doctor that my nails were flattening out and splitting and just so thin, and so was my hair. I have hypothyroidism but those test were coming back normal. Finally, she tested my vitamin D levels and found them to be low. I haven't noticed a marked improvement yet, but I'm hoping.

I did get seriously glutened which I believe was what caused my latest major MM attack. I was being sold bread as gluten free bread and it wasn't gluten free bread. I was eating it for over a month. I kept thinking my symptoms were from something else. Then I got Meniere's worse than I've ever had it.

So now I'm gluten free again and uped my dosage of Vitamin D3. Let's see how this works out.

as a side note, I've noticed that most of the people I know who are Celiac have a Vitamin D deficiency.

14. queenmom

queenmom New Member

Thank you for this information.

4 years ago I was diagnosed with Vitamin D and Potassium deficiency. I spent 6 months off and on i the hospital and had a pic line for feeding for the majority of the year. I was very sick.

One thing that helps with the Vitamin D is the tanning salon--I pay for the expensive bed that has "no burn" bulbs. I feel so much better when I come out of the tanning bed.

Now here I am with MM.

15. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

For those diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency, and especially for those who were tested and found to be OK, please understand this. The threshold for deficiency or adequacy is for most labs and many (probably most) physicians entirely too low.

Most medical professionals still believe that the only real function of vitamin D is to modulate or control proper calcium function, to prevent rickets. The amount of vitamin D that assures hard bones (no rickets) is a mere 400 IU per day, which creates a serum vitamin D level of less than 25 ng/ml or so.

Frankly, as mentioned I believe somewhere above, you need to get your serum vitamin D level at the very minimum of 30 ng/ml, with a far better target in the range of 50 to 65 ng/ml.

If you have a vitamin D blood test, ask to find out what the actual number is, in ng/ml. Unless you are at a minimum of 50, you are markedly more susceptable to all sorts of modern diseases. Go for 50.

--John of Ohio

16. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Vitamin D had always been a part of my daily vitamin intake, but last summer I was devastated to hear my PCP tell me that I wasn't on the priority list for receiving the H1N1 vaccine.

I immediately upped my intake - from the measly 400 IU in my chewable vitamin, to 2,000 IUs in softgel capsules. I also get another 1,000 IUs in foods and other supplements.

As it turns out, my PCP had just forgotten about my severe asthma, and I did get the vaccine after all, along with the seasonal flu shot.

I got sick once - precipitated by prolonged exposure to dust and mold, and of course it turned into full-fledged bronchitis. I got a Z-pack and the infection cleared right up. I sounded horrible but felt fine.

It was then I realized that this is the first year I haven't been overwhelmed with various and sundry colds and upper respiratory infections like I usually am in the fall and winter. I even spent more time around my grandkids (the little germ bombs) and didn't succumb to the ickies.

I am a firm believer now. :D