Is There a Missing New Factor in Meniere's Treatment? Something to Consider.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by John of Ohio, Dec 27, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Formal medicine, for very legitmate reasons, has always stonewalled new, different explanations and procedures. For centuries, western medicine followed only the precepts of ancient Greek and Roman medical writings, most of which were patently wrong.

Then, what happened in the 19th century when Pasteur, Semmelweis, Lister, and others proved consclusively that bacteria cause disease. There were respected physicians working into the early years of the 20th century who still rejected the germ theory.

Same thing happened in the 1920s and 30s, with the discovery of vitamins. It took two or three decades for the entire profession to recognize that these chemicals actually existed and improved human health. Just as with the vitamin D revolution going on today, in the 20th century the doctors finally came around when they could no longer discount the almost miraculous healings vitamins brought against formerly untreatable conditions such as beri-beri, scurvy, and rickets.

It didn't take so long for medicine to embrace the logically redicuous idea that some fungus-derived chemicals might be able to safely and quickly kill bacteria within the human body. The results of antibiotics proved the concept, just as they will with vitamin D, alhtough that may take a full decade before everyone recognizes its profound value in human health and disease prevention.

And should I suggest that modern medicine would be likewise very reluctant to embrace some treatments for Meniere's Disease proposed by a number of medical amateurs on some little-known Internet website, even though they yield results that are equivalent or superior to common medical procedures?

--John of Ohio

2. ajm0623

ajm0623 New Member

john - you say you take 4000 ius of vit d/ day. where do you buy your vit d? vitamin shoppe? i'd love to know as i'd like to begin adding the vitamin as well - but i want to make sure i'm buying the 'right' vit d (retail store and product number and all) like you've provided in your regimen. by the way -- i follow your regimen with GREAT success - just short of three months now. i had almost immediate relief! i will shortly (this month) provide you a testimonial so you can include my successful results with your 86%+ success rate. in the meantime, do please let me know where you buy your vit d and the product number if you have it to hand. cheers.

3. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Ajm,

It's good to learn of your success with the regimen. Please make a detailed posting when you see fit.

Fortunately, vitamin D3, cholecalciferal, is the common over-the-counter "vitamin D." Virtually any brand of vitamin D is this. Virtually all brands are safe, uncontaminated, and worthwhile. My wife and I take two 2000 IU softgels each day, from Vitamin Shoppe, Product Number VS-2463. It's 100 softgels for a bit under 6 bucks, which works out to about 12 cents a day for my 4000 IU dosage.

If you can find a cheaper product, go ahead and use it. This is straightforward stuff. The long-term health benefits will be great.

My best.

--John of Ohio

4. groovemastergreg

groovemastergreg New Member

Good stuff, John. The rheumatologist that Dr Derebery sent me to last August detected my low D level, and I've been taking 2k per day. Think I'll double that immediately and ask my doc to check my D levels next blood draw.

5. missmrs

missmrs New Member

John of Ohio,

I've been taking the Vit d3 for a month or so now after you suggested I add it to the regimen you devised. I'm a little confused though. If we have been told that our Menieres is AIE and Vitamin D boosts the immune system, is that good?

6. iowatriker

iowatriker New Member

I started taking 4000ui a day about 2 weeks ago and my wife started a week ago. I feel better than I have in a long time. My wife called today to say she hasn't felt this good in a long time. Is it a fluke?? Maybe but seasonal disorders run in my family so if D3 makes it just a little bit better I'm all for taking it. I found it at a grocery store, 2000ui each pill / and the cost was 6.95 for 100. Almost a 2 month supply for $6.95.

7. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Missnrs,

No, this is not a problem. Just the opposite. Vitamin D turns down the autoimmunity response. It does not turn it up. Here's the abstract of a scientific article on this subject:

http://www.ebmonline.org/cgi/reprint/223/3/230.pdf

--John of Ohio

8. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

DDB,

Just wait. Feeling good is only the beginning. Check to see how many colds and flues you get for the rest of the winter.

And although it will be hard to measure, your vitamin D will now help stop cancers, heart disease, obesity, diabetes, arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and a host of other modern diseases.

No, this was no fluke, and the good feelings were only a small part of the vitamin's benefits.

Thanks for the update posting.

--John of Ohio

9. moosemong

moosemong New Member

"I continue to take the entire regimen, except because the herpes virus that caused my Meniere's is suppressed, I take only a 500 mgs daily maintenance dose of lysine, and I don't need the Vertigoheel because I no longer have any dizziness."

JOH,
    The comment above from your earlier post is interesting. How do you know that the virus was the cause and how do you know it has been suppressed?
    Thanks,
    Joe

10. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Well, I know that the virus has been suppressed because I have not had any Meniere's symptoms for five or six years. I eat normally, and live a life unfettered by any Meniere's considerations other than to continue to take my regimen each day.

But you ask, rightly so, just how do I know it's a herpes virus? First, there can be no other explanation for the unique conditions of most Meniere's cases. First, in almost all cases the disease starts in one ear, with the other ear free of symptoms. Because of this unilaterality, there must be something in the affected ear, and not the other. It therefore can't be some allergy (except related to a virus in the ear), some genetic malfunction, or any other plausible reason.

Herpes viruses are well-known for embedding themselves in particular nerves and tissues, and also for being dormant for long periods followed by episodes of inflamatory activity. This trait accounts for the often periodic occurance of Meniere's, along with spontaneous periods of remission. Herpes viruses act just in this manner.

Then, a number of medical studies have found herpes viruses in the inner ear tissues of Meniere's patients.

More, is the results of Japanese studies that showed that the administration of antiherpetic drugs, ones that stop herpes viruses, deminish or stop Meniere's symptoms.

Lastly, for me, is the clincher. A year or so after I got relief from my regimen, I mistakenly started to take some daily arginine supplements. BIG mistake. My Meniere's came back big time, even though I was on the entire regimen (except Vertigoheel).

I did a quick check to see what was up, and sure enough, arginine is well-known to prompt and support herpes virus infections. I was feeding the dormant little virions silently embedded in my left inner ear.

I quickly stopped the arginine suppmentation and in a week or so I was back to complete relief.

Others have reported herpes virus growth while taking arginine. Another person on my Meniere's regimen reported that he, too, had the disease come back after taking arginine.

Case closed. Biologically nothing else can so indict a herpes virus. Herpes virus conditions exactly match Meniere's cases. Nothing else does (in the vast majority of cases).

More and more medical profesionals are coming to the the realization that Meniere's, in most cases, is no longer idiopathic, of unknown causes. Even for the cases where an allergy or allergen is clearly involved, the whole thing is first set up by the herpes virus in the inner ear, creating inflamatory conditions upon which the allergen creates its havoc. Stop the herpes and eliminate the allergen.

When I make a posting like this, where I strongly contend that only herpes viruses can account for all of the traits of Meniere's, I ask readers to offer any other plausible explanations. So far, the only responses are that the disease is, "Just idiopathic, and we simply can't know its causes."

That's "last century" thinking, unsupported by modern knowledge of herpes viruses.

--John of Ohio

11. Trish

Trish Guest

John
    So your herpes virus theory is only connected to unilateral menieres?

12. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Of course not. In bilateral Meniere's, the herpes virus has migrated to the second, opposite-side ear.

--John of Ohio

13. rose

rose New Member

Very good information. Thanks! I will be checking into this D3 and kidney stones, as I am prone to them. I am taking OsCal right now, but can't remember at what strength.

14. KellyC

KellyC New Member

I started taking Vitamin D3 earlier this week, I hope it helps... It is too early to notice any changes yet, I am taking 4000IU daily, Sam's Club has a great price on it about .06 for 4000IU.

Going to the doctor tomorrow, I am going to check in to acyclovir since the dizzies have been back for a while, hopefully he will prescribe some.

15. moosemong

moosemong New Member

JOH,
    Absolutely outstanding analysis and I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to present it so well. I have been on the regimen for about 6 weeks (fully for about 3 weeks) and even the increased tinnitus that seems to have coincided with the start of the regimen, appears to be dissipating. I am far from "cured" since most days are still filled with dysequillibrium and nausea (and in dread of the next attack), but at least now I feel like I have a chance.
    Thanks again,
    Joe

16. Chinook

Chinook New Member

I know this thread is more about vitamin D, but since the discussion shifted to herpes virus, I thought this would be a good time for my update. I've finished my course of Acyclovir and continue to take the full JOH regimen, which I've been on for 2 months now (it was my "good ear" that became affected this time). The Acyclovir seems to have knocked out the pressure in my ear and although I had severe imbalance rather than vertigo, this seems to have been eliminated. My problem right now is that the tinnitus, which is pretty loud, and the aural sensation that comes with it I suppose. I don't recall this happening when I was struggling with my "bad ear" several years ago. New ear, new problems I guess. Anyway, I was curious if most of you who have been fortunate enough to find overall relief from the most severe symptoms still experience residual tinnitus, and if the JOH regimen helps to eventually relieve that as well. For the heck of it, I did add vitamin B complex after reading that it helped some. And, I do take vitamin D3 already.

17. June-

June- New Member

I do not/have not had vestibular problems at any time. The antivirals eliminated the distortion, autophony and lowered the tinnitus for me a whole lot. It improved my hearing some but not a whole lot.
    I have had additional help with allergy shots. I don't know what etiology explains that both things help me but they do. My dr is not surprised. She said something like allergies 'up regulate' the immune system so getting rid of the allergic responses calms it down I suppose. Glad you have had a good response. Good luck keep working on it.

18. deadeye

deadeye New Member

how does the D3 relate to taking famvir? started taking the d3 today.

19. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Probably not at all.

--John of Ohio

20. Trinity

Trinity Bilateral Menieres 20 years, 24-7 symptoms,

John I ordered some supplements from the vitamin shop today. I have been on most of the supplements for almost a year. I just added the Glutan 1-3. I am not sure how much of that to take a day. I also have MSM in 1500mgs tablets and I take that once a day in the morning. I started the 4000mgs of vitamin D. I am hoping all this will help with the still miserable tinnitus, pressure, sound sensitivity and fluctuating severe hearing loss. Just want to make sure I am taking the right amounts of these supplements. Sometimes I forget to take the l-lysine and then double it before I go to bed. Hopefully this is ok. Thanks for your continued support Carole