Is anyone else positive for HLA B27 (human leukocyte antigen)?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by KennedyLane, Apr 25, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. KennedyLane

KennedyLane New Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20229477

Research shows that some cases of Meniere's is associated with individuals who carry HLA B27, related to the immune system. I was tested and found to be HLA B27 positive. Just wondering if anyone else has been checked?

2. KennedyLane

KennedyLane New Member

"are associated" not "is associated..." Sheesh!

3. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

interesting I never heard of that so I looked it up:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003551.htm

HLA-B27 antigen

HLA-B27 is a blood test to look for a protein that is found on the surface of white blood cells. The protein is called human leukocyte antigen B27 (HLA-B27).

Human leukocyte antigens (HLAs) are proteins that help the body's immune system tell the difference between its own cells and foreign, harmful substances.

See also: Histocompatibility antigen test

How the Test is Performed

A blood sample is needed. For information on how this is done, see: Venipuncture

How to Prepare for the Test

No special preparation is usually needed.

How the Test Will Feel

When the needle is inserted to draw blood, you may feel moderate pain, or only a prick or stinging sensation. Afterward, there may be some throbbing.

Why the Test is Performed

Your doctor may order this test if you have joint pain, stiffness, or swelling. HLA type B27 is associated with autoimmune diseases such as ankylosing spondylitis and Reiter syndrome. The test may be done along with other tests, including:
    •C-reactive protein
    •Erythrocyte sedimentation rate ( ESR)
    •Rheumatoid factor
    •X-rays

HLA antigen testing is also used to match donated tissue in a person who is getting an organ transplant. For example, it may be done when a person needs a kidney transplant or bone marrow transplant.

Normal Results

A normal (negative) result means HLA-B27 is absent.

What Abnormal Results Mean

A positive test means HLA-B27 is present. It suggests a greater-than-average risk for developing or having certain autoimmune disorders. An autoimmune disorder is a condition that occurs when the immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys healthy body tissue.

An abnormal result may be caused by:
    •Ankylosing spondylitis
    •Arthritis related to Crohn's disease
    •Reactive arthritis
    •Sacroiliitis (inflammation of the sacroiliac joint)
    •Uveitis

If there are symptoms or signs of an autoimmune disease, a positive HLA-B27 test may confirm the diagnosis. However, HLA-B27 is normally found in a small number of Caucasians and does not always mean you have a disease.

4. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Does anyone else get that feeling that maybe, just maybe, there is going to be a big breakthrough for us all?

I sure do :)

5. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I have gad that feeing for a little while now Caroline, how wonderful that would be!

6. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

ooops....gad=had

7. msprygada

msprygada New Member

Ok, so you test positive.......then what?

8. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

What made you get tested? What does your physician recommend you do at this point?