intense pain?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by abra, Oct 1, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. abra

abra New Member

I have had several moments today of intense ear pain...they only last a few seconds but it feels like someone is sticking an icepick in my ear. It's also a very bad day for tinnitus and pressure.

Is this normal, to have pain like this, this intense? I haven't had it before.

2. Leon

Leon New Member

Occasionally I have an ear ache, but nothing severe. Mostly the ear ache is annoying. I've been having them for the last few weeks. I'll now have something new to tell my ENT doc when I see him in November.
    Leon

3. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Maybe stress of the muscles? TMJ?

4. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

I've never had intense ear pain from my MM. I would be concerned if I did.

Since you are having increased tinnitus and ear fullness, it sounds like something is happening in your inner or middle ear. If it keeps bothering you, make sure you mention it to your doctor. Also, take your temeprature to see if you are running a fever. You might have an infection.

Also, sometimes people get wax buildup or a yeast infection in outer ear canal. Those should be looked at by a trained professional.

Joe

5. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

I have had pain from the ear pressure. It sucks.

Tylenol and heating pads help. Before I got my Meniett, I was ready to hook the dustbuster ot blowdryer up to my ear to relieve the pressure!

6. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

Hi Abra-

I have had pressure that was quite intense that could be considered painful, but nothing that acute or severe as that "ice pick" feeling. The only time that I had anything remotely that painful was when I developed a severe ear infection in the ear that I had the tube in (at that time).
    If it continues, it might be a wise choice to see the doctor and have him just take a look inside of the ear.

Hope things improve quickly for you!
    Dianna

7. Robyn

Robyn Russell the Wombat

I have had that same pain that you are talking about in my ear. For some reason it just went away and has never returned.

Mentioning it to your doctor is probably a good idea.

8. abra

abra New Member

Thanks...I haven't had any "icepick" feelings today although there have been some minor twinges. Fortunately I see the neurotologist for the first time on Wednesday.

I had the loudest tinnitus I've ever had right after going to bed...nearly drove me mad...but it's a little better today. Still loud but not feeling like my ear is going to take off and explode.

9. DenverJay

DenverJay New Member

Greetings:
    I'm new here, but not to Meniere's. I had it for 22 years. I get these severe, stop-you-in-your-tracks pains several times a month. They are excruciating; very, very sharp (like an icepick or large needle) and I must stop whatever I am doing when it happens and just ride it out. It lasts for 10-15 seconds, and there may be 2 or 3 within a few minutes of each other, and then none for a couple of weeks. No one has ever been able to tell me what causes this. I am fortunate this has never happened while I am driving, because I would have to hit the brakes and/or pull over immediately. It is not frequent enough that I have to stop driving, and I hope it never worsens or becomes more frequent, that would be completely intolerable.
    DenverJay

10. rek83

rek83 VanGogh had menieres. Maybe he painted what he saw

I've actually checked my ear before to see if I somehow accidently shoved something in there when in hurts like that. :) I figured it was from MM because it normally is associated with slight vertigo or tinnitis.... fortunately, it happens rarely for me... It's not fun.

11. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Hi Abra,

I get something similar often - mine feels like someone is jabbing a knitting needle in my ear. I think it very well may have to do with the pressure build-up (since you and I both share that common symptom in an intense way). Finally I had a chance to mention it last week to my ENT and he said it's fairly common with mm. He didn't have any ideas though - Andrea's sound good: Tylenol and heating pad. My ENT asked me what I've tried and I said not a heck of a lot, it comes on suddenly and doesn't last long (like a headache would). I get many of these jabbing pains per day though.

Good to hear you see a neurotologist this week. I hope he/she gets you some real answers. Please let us know how it goes.

Amethyst

12. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

I don't have mm but get that same feeling in my ear and it has to do with my tmj. Its awful feels like a hot knife.

13. america57

america57 New Member

I just recently got that for the first time. I was on antibiotics for bronchitis, I don't think there was anything wrong with my ear, but man it hurt!

14. dlbach1

dlbach1 New Member

"Knitting needles and Ice picks" OCHY!! :'( :'( I know these feelings all too well. I had one doctor told me that there is no pain assiciated with Meniere's. He errs in his thoughts. I sometimes wake up crying because the pain is so bad. I was perscribed Mobic for the pain. It has helped and kicks in faster then Tylenol. During the day when it starts up I stretch my jaw muscles (could be connected to my TMJ). My GP suggested chewing gum a couple times a day, but I hate gum since I gave up the habit (used to be a chain chewer). Have a frank chat with your doc. BOL

15. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

The only time I get that "knitting needles and ice-pick" pain is if my TMJ is acting up...I always have the pressure/fullness feeling and its uncomfortable but not really what I would describe as pain.

Like Andrea I use Panadol and a hot pack...that helps it heaps

Another thought....someone once mentioned in here that you can get severe ear pain from muscle spasms in the middle ear...the muscles that attach the 3 small bones in there?

I would get the doc to look at it just to make sure there isn't an infection