Instant coffee vs brewed coffee

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by jabber, Nov 12, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. jabber

jabber New Member

ok- I'm not the smartest one in the crowd and maybe that's why I'm a member of the dumbass club BUT- does anyone know why there is less caffeine in instant coffee than there is in brewed coffee ? I have a can of Maxwell House half caff here and it says 44mg. of caffeine in 3/4 of a cup. I also have a jar of Maxwell House half caff instant coffee here and it say 28mg of caffeine in 3/4 of a cup. Just wondering about it-- coffee IS one of my vices and I really don't want to give up my caffeine fix in the morning.. I'd never make it through the day. ???

2. burd

burd New Member

Here's my very uneducated opinion: Might it be from the processing? Ground beans are just crushed whole beans, very intense coffee with all it's caffeine, but instant coffee has been alterred so it's not just pure crushed whole beans, so less caffeine content. ???

If it's less caffeine that you want, try buying high quality decaff. coffee and mixing with regular coffee. Try different kinds of beans, esp. the gourmet types you buy bulk or packaged for you in bags. Some are superb, even full decaff., one of my favorite brands is World Market coffees. Just some rambling thoughts. :)