In God We Trust

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Center' started by daBronx, Mar 29, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. daBronx

daBronx New Member

I recently read somewhere that the State of Georgia wants to put "In God We Trust"on vehicle license plates.I think it's a good idea.

2. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

What re your reasons for this support?

3. daBronx

daBronx New Member

It's on our currency and we are a predominantly Christian country.

4. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

People can personalize their license plates. Have you looked into doing that for your vehicle?

5. daBronx

daBronx New Member

I no longer drive or own a car.

6. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I have a car. I don't want any type of writing (religious or non) on my license plate.

7. daBronx

daBronx New Member

If it's mandated by your state's motor vehicle dept.there's not much you can do about it.Anyways I don't see anything wrong with it.

8. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

What about 'In God I trust, because I certainly don't trust most of the other drivers on the roads'?

9. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

What? You mean we need license plates, I just put the cardboard sign in the back window that reads "Tag Applied For" never been pulled over in my life!

10. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

It's not a matter of wrong or right. I don't want my license plate to peddle other people's beliefs or advertising for that matter. It's a violation of civil rights. I have no idea what the great need to put in God we trust is all about, even on money. Isn't it enough for those who believe to know it in their hearts? I'm from Europe. We don't advertise God over there like He were some product for sale nor do we impose our beliefs on others via billboards, money, license plates, T-Shirts, travel mugs, mouse pads or jewelry. Belief is much more discrete and intimate.

No mandate anywhere, not even Georgia. It's a choice.

11. Nathan

Nathan New Member

It would seem to be a contradictive statement on cars with higher safety ratings though, wouldn't it?

12. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

I guess you haven't been to Italy then. Fairly big on religious paraphernalia over there... Not to worry, you can buy lots of Italian made religous products on line - http://shopping.religiousmerchandise.com/

Europe's a big place though, the religiosity of say, Italy is not the same as Finland. And in France (which we all know is European) they've banned the Burqa. On the other hand in Lourdes you can barely move for religious trinkets. Perhaps sweeping statements about 'Europe' aren't so helpful?

13. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I've lived in several European countries and religion was never in my face in any of those places. Buying things online is not the same as having it on your money, on your T-shirts, on your billboards or on your license plates. What people do in the privacy of their homes is their business.

In your uncontrollable excitement to pounce on my posts, you completely missed my point. But hey, if commenting on most everything I post makes your day, go for it :D

Back to the exchange with daBronx.

14. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

:D

If that were even remotely true I'd have at least 7000 posts :D :D :D :D

Clearly we have different memories of Italy. Rome in particular, could barely move for crucifixes and rosaries :D

15. rogerh

rogerh New Member

Florida has it now but you have to ask for it.

16. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

;)David,
    Whatever will be,
    Will be,
    Why stress over it.....

17. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I've always wondered whose idea it was to put 'in god we trust' on money. Jesus had a real negative thing about money, didn't he? I mean for the christains out there. Having a mandate for a license plate is a good way for the state to make money on the new ones we'd need to pay for - don't cha think?

18. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

That is such an intelligent observation!

19. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I guess everybody has their own definition of who their God is.
    If the govt. wants to do it, who can stop them, anyway.

20. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I'd say the people if they get pissed off enough and let the government know it.