I'm going to try something new...

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by imasteeler, Mar 9, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. imasteeler

imasteeler New Member

Now that I am back on my feet somewhat after my 4th quarter 2013 meltdown, I am going to visit with a new kind of doctor (new for me, anyways).

After feeling almost cured in mid-2013, I've taken a pretty serious setback over the winter. Could have been my lack of attention to diet, could have been elevated stress, but in any case...

The ENT is stumped - he can offer no help but to stick with the diuretic and low sodium. While my hearing is gradually disappearing all together, and now my good ear is starting to ring too... ???

This new doctor is a sports medicine/dietetics doctor. He will measure the nutrient levels in my blood at a cellular level to determine what is out of whack, and then advise supplements and/or nutritional and potentially other changes to bring the nutrient levels back into line.

I was referred to him by my chiropractor. I called and asked specifically about their experience in treating Meniere's, so it should be interesting at least !!

In the meantime, I am back on the JOH fully since January, and back on the no-wheat, no-refined-sugar diet - I am just now starting to feel ok again, not yet good, however.

I'll post a follow-up whenever I get the diagnosis and treatment plan.

Hoping you are well,

Jim Cross
    Houston

2. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

I think this is a good idea, because diet, food sensitivity, food allergy, nutritional deficiencies, and immune system dysfunction can all cause Meniere's flareups due to inflammation.

Have you checked out Dr. Mark Hyman's Ultra Simple Diet? The guy is an immunologist and allergist, and his diet is anti-inflammatory. I think he's onto something, and I'm giving it a shot.

The book is cheap ($5.63 on Kindle) and he's not selling anything.

It's a "no-allergen" diet--lots of veggies and fruit, brown rice, and specific proteins.

Best of luck, and
    bless all,
    Ron

3. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I'm willing to bet the grain free diet is helping you and when you say no sugar, I'm guessing you mean stop to foods like doughnuts and cakes. That will help you too. Some people have a grain sensitivity that triggers their symptoms.

4. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Good Luck Jim!

It sounds like a good idea for anyone.

Please keep us updated :)

5. imasteeler

imasteeler New Member

Hi Rondrums:

I'm checking out Dr. Hyman's book... It looks great - thanks for the tip!

Hi Intrepid:

Yes - absolutely no added sugars of any kind - no donuts, no cake, no cookies, no nothing of the kind. It is very difficult to pass them up.

Thanks all for the encouragement! I am cautiously optimistic...

jmc

6. Juz

Juz New Member

Hi Jim.

I too had a major downturn in the 2nd half of 2013. Tried JOH without much success thus far, but sticking with it.

I thought you may like to know that I have had some very early success with a diet aimed at reducing inflammation.

It's only been a matter of weeks so I'm far from advocating it for everyone with MM, but I will say that my overall health has improved drastically due to the elimination of gluten, dairy, refined sugars, processed good and so on. Vertigo is drastically reduced also. There's nothing to lose and much to potentially gain from trying this sort of diet, so I figure why not?

All the best with reeling better!

7. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I really think that is the key to good health i.e. reducing inflammation as much as possible. An anti-inflammatory diet works for many people. It's not a walk in the park but when you start seeing results it gets motivating.

8. GLA

GLA New Member

Let me know how this works out. I'm also in Houston, and it sounds interesting.

9. imasteeler

imasteeler New Member

While I am waiting for the lab analysis of the blood draw and follow-up, I've taken one tip away from Dr. Hyman's book - this is to soak in a hot bath every night, with epson salts and lavender oil.

If I wasn't already going mad with tinnitus, fatigue, and general anxiety this would be very soothing after a long day, and probably works wonders on "normal" people. For my Meniere's affected ear it will knock down the inflammation and tinnitus within 10-15 minutes every time, then the rest of my system starts to settle down too.

I've had a screaming tinnitus almost constantly for the last few weeks, and a very thick clogged up feeling inside the ear. These will both subside dramatically (but will not go away :() while I am in the lavender bath. Makes me very sleepy and relaxed, I almost always fall asleep right afterwards.

In the meantime, I'm told it will be 2-3 weeks (from last Tuesday) before I know the findings on the blood test.

10. Sobekins647

Sobekins647 New Member

Espon salts, lavender oil and a hot bath every night? Sounds like the best, especially since you said it's helping with your tinnitus! My ear has been loudly ringing for the past two days, with no relief and sleeping is becoming difficult again. I'm excited to try this.

I'll sleep in the bath tub if I have too! (j/k of course).

11. imasteeler

imasteeler New Member

Hi Sobe:

It helps bring my screaming T down to a level I can almost stand, yes. Maybe just by calming the rest of my system down and taking the edge off... but whatever the reason, I am not going to argue.

He calls it the UltraBath in his book.

I've not tried any of the diet stuff yet - but I am already taking many of the same steps already, just not as focused on that yet.

The tinnitus is driving me up the wall - this is the only thing I've done yet that has made any difference whatsoever.

12. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

Howdy, I'm back! (at least for a little while).

13. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Lavender is the one big thing that triggers my migraines and MAV. I can't be around it in any form.

400mg of Magnesium with dinner helps a lot with relaxation and a good night's sleep. I doubt the Epson salts do anything; it's an old wives tale but the hot bath and the fact that you are taking time to just sit and relax is what does the trick.

14. Sobekins647

Sobekins647 New Member

When do you think you're going to try the diet?

I've been doing the low sodium diet a full week starting the second. My ears went right back to hearing loss and insanely ringing as soon as I went off the steroids. So I doubt sodium is the problem. I am curious to see if this diet actually works. I figure either I'll see results or I'm going back to eating my Oreos. Although results would be a bigger win for me than the freedom to eat some cookies again lol.

15. jimmykicker

jimmykicker New Member

Sounds like me coming off the steroids. I got relief from antiviral pills and JOH regimen. There is a huge debate on whether antivirals pills actually work or not...My experience? I was sick off and on for 10 months! Solid for the last 3 with ringing and hearing loss...with the only relief really coming from steroids (until I quit taking them at the end of the round). Low salt? Waste of time...diuretics? Made me pee all the time...no help. JOH regimen and antiviral pills? I have been clear almost a year now with one setback (normal) which was in August of last year. So currently (and it could end tomorrow...but I doubt it) 8 months with only the mildest of symptoms since on those things....If you haven't looked into that path, you probably should since it seems like you are new to this garbage. I am confident it saved my hearing. Doesn't work for everyone mind you...if you a viral case than you certainly might be a candidate. Trust me...I am NO doctor, but I do want to help...Good luck to all of yall.

...and Jim, please keep us updated!

16. imasteeler

imasteeler New Member

no diet or supplement changes until I hear back from the new doc.

But I'm adding a minimum of one weekend every quarter at the beach to my regimen, starting this weekend.

The warmth of the sun, the sound of the waves, and a few days away from work should take a bite out of the anxiety and stress, I would think?

17. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Oh, man, there's nothing better. The white noise of the waves takes your mind off the tinnitus, the salt air opens up your sinuses, and the sun is healing.

I live 15 minutes from the beach, but I'm too frigging dizzy to leave the house!

Bless all,
    Ron

18. imasteeler

imasteeler New Member

Listened to the waves crashing on the shore all night, now I am hearing the gulls screeching as they fly by the condo ... 8)

Going to go drop a line in the water shortly - that will calm the nerves - unless a big ole redfish bites my line!

in Port Aransas, Texas

19. imasteeler

imasteeler New Member

Back from the beach, and back to the screeching Tinnitus... :mad:

The whole weekend it was either masked, or I was sufficiently distracted by other sounds to make it seem almost gone.

So, nothing left to do now but move down there permanently, I guess?

20. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Glad you enjoyed the relief!