Illithid

Discussion in 'Your Writer's Den' started by Prima Donna, Dec 24, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

Illithid

Before my time she came
    The naïve soul to claim
    Her every thought, her every feat
    Her every word filled with deceit
    Honey dripping from her tongue
    Her breath is putrid Illithid dung
    With ancient guile she does ensnare
    The innocent victim unaware
    The depths of evil she has plumbed
    The countless ones who have succumbed
    Arrogant is the one alone
    Seated on her fiery throne.
    She will never bow the knee
    To love, to truth, to integrity.
    She cannot, will not, comprehend
    The broken heart that God can mend
    But do not pity this ancient one
    She chooses the ancient fiery throne.
    She craves the power that hell doth bring
    Though it is a fleeting thing
    Turn from her and then ascend
    And do not plumb the depths again
    For she is clever; she will ensnare
    The curious one who is unaware.
    Leave her perched on her ephemeral throne
    Amidst the dancing flames, alone.

2. burd

burd New Member

Excellent!

3. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Amazing!!! BRAVO! :)

4. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

Excellent piece Yaya!

5. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

Wow! Nice compliment coming from you, my Yaya sister.
    I like your new signature phrase. Words to live by. :)

Thanks to all of you for reading this cautionary tale. :)

6. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

Well written, but I can't help wondering who/what are we being cautioned about?

7. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

The Illithid is a mind-flaying creature of Dungeons and Dragons fame.

In my poem, I thought Illithid was the perfect depiction of paralyzing fear, that controls the mind, imprisoning it in a self-made hell.

Fear will always be there; but we don’t have to allow it to control us. We can rise above it; and leave it to rule over the empty depths alone.

8. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I knew that. :D

9. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

Thanks for the explanation. You wrote it so you would know what you intended.
    It made more sense to me when I thought of "she" as a person rather than fear.

It is a very well crafted poem, Prima Donna.

10. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

So my explanation isn't plausible, huh Rosie? Sounds like I pulled that one out of my ass?
    Well good. I'm glad you could see through that lame explanation, because it detracts from
    the power of the poem's original intent.

Illithid does make more sense when it refers to a specific person.

11. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

I didn't say any of that, Prima Donna. I merely said what made sense to me. often people will interpret a poem differently.

I don't understand your hostility toward me. Oh well.

Rose

12. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

no,
    Oh I can easily see how you would think that I'm being hostile to you, but not at all. I should have chosen my words more carefully. Read my words again, with the understanding that I am acknowledging that you are right in your observation about the poem. Illithid is a poem about a specific horrible manipulative, deceitful person. Her behavior does have an impact on people much like the mind-flaying Illithid. I just wanted to write the poem; cathartic and all, and hoped others would feel that sense of catharsis in relation to the "Illithid" in their lives. I assumed they'd understand and not need to probe further; as I choose not to identify the Illithid of which I write.

I should have been honest about the poem's meaning, though. My apologies, FadedRose.

Good observation. I mean that sincerely. I'm not being hostile.

13. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

I probed further because this is a public message board and you mentioned that this was a cautionary tale. That made me start to think that there was more to your poem than bringing out catharsis in our lives.

Given the recent poem wars here in the Writers' Den it's not rocket surgery.

Rose

14. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Illithid is a wonderful character! :)

Amazing piece of poetry! Thanx for sharing it with us. :)

15. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

16. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

17. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

Wow I need to get over here more often. Good writings my dear Prima!!! I actually,believe it or not know someone with these exact same -self qualities. Scary this person thinks that world is normal. Sometimes though I have to remember God made us all different and I do THank Him for that daily. Some people have no hope and want no help thinking spreading pain and hurt and is self satisfying for them. It's really sad when you think about it.

18. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

Powerful - how did I miss this before? The imagery is so real - makes me get the bad goose bumps - but good writing.

I will have to re - read later and comment again. So many mental pictures and words to digest that I need time to reflect.

19. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I must admit that not knowing the dungens and dragons game except for the name I kinda thought it was about an individual not a being. It is very well written and now that I've read it more than once, I see the connection to the imaginairy (plus I looked up Illithid :) )

20. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I've sais this before, " someone, sometimes,mis anexcellant writer.

Keep writing!