How to get properly diagnosed for Meniere's Disease?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by markgoldin, Oct 12, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Hi Mark and thanks for checking back in with the results of her doc visit. It sounds like he does think the problem is in the inner ear.

I'm glad she is feeling better. Please keep us posted!

2. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update. It sounds like your daughter is in good hands now - I hope relief is around the corner for her.

Amethyst

3. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

Mark, glad your daughter is feeling better. I hope she gets a proper diagnosis soon. I too go to Northwestern for my care. Dr. Alan Micco takes care of everyday hearing needs like audiology testing, hearing aid needs, ear cleaning and emergency infection care, etc. Dr. Tim Hain is my Otoneurologist and gets into the act when the Menieres symptoms get out of control for me. I have had severe bilateral Menieres since I was 10 but was not properly diagnosed or treated until I came to Chicago and I was then in my early 20s. I have severe bilateral hearing loss and have a severely damaged balance system. Because I've had Menieres for so long, not too much can be done to solve any of my problems associated with it.

However, on the positive side, I have managed to live a normal life with a great career and an active social life. Oh, there were problems along the way but my supportive family, friends, and employers all helped to create a wonderful, safe world for me.

Tell your daughter not to let these problems frighten her. She is in the hands of one of the best otology and neurology centers in the world.

4. markgoldin

markgoldin New Member

Thanks everyone for help, it's nice to have people around who understand.
    BTW, the doctor also said that salt diet is a must. He did not offer any treatment for now though but had advised to visit him again in 4 months making these 4 mo. visits regular. So, will he come up with any treatment?

5. TracyInIndy

TracyInIndy Guest

Mark,

There is no way to know if he will come up with a treatment at this point. It's going to depend on the diagnosis. It does sound like he thinks it's inner ear.

Hope the low sodium diet helps.

Good luck, Tracy

6. DenverJay

DenverJay New Member

Re: Tinnitus

Hello everyone:
    I'm new to this list, but I wanted to comment on the issue of managing tinnitus. I have had Meniere's for 22 years, and that entire time I've had a high-pitched hissing sound in my right ear. It sounds like a teakettle, and there are many overtones to the sound. It took me several months to get used to the tinnitus, but I eventually did. It does take time to adjust. Also, over the years I've learned to "mask " the sound. In order to sleep, I have to have white noise which covers the sound. True, it's more noise, but the fact that it is a _different_ noise helps me alot. And about 9 months ago, I became bilateral. I now have a total of 3 non-stop noises that never leave me, and I'm having to go through an adjustment process all over again. But, my message is that there is hope, and that these symptoms are manageable.
    Best wishes,
    DenverJay

7. markgoldin

markgoldin New Member

Before my daugther has gottten a problem with her ear I have never heard anything about the MM or any other disorder related to ears. Now, when I am reading all these stories from you guys I am simply astonished by them. What I mean is you guys have so much of fortitude and courage just to live normal life. My parents had gone thru World War II. I am from Russia. They had told us many different stories about how people were living at that time and everything. It was a time when heroism was a normal thing. Just to survive, just to wake up next day. Today, here is States people live a thousand, a million times better, we can't even compare. So, the heroism is not a part of our live anymore and that's good. But you guys have to be the ones because you live a special life and you need to be heros for yourself to get there and ... I can't say anything more. I wish all of you the best, I wish they will find something that will help.

8. cowcollector

cowcollector Don't hug a tree, hug a cow!!

mark
    best of luck with you and your daughter. tinnitus can be annoying but
    i try to always have a positive mental attitude. sure we all get down
    me included but i have survived over a year of the constant ringing, sometimes
    it changes pitch, sometimes it sounds like morse code and sometimes i hear lots
    of sounds all at once. i am just a regular person who now never takes anything
    for granted and cherishes all the friendships i have created here. your daughter
    is so blessed to have a dad like you :)

9. daisycow

daisycow Moo to you, too.

Hi Mark.
    Just to echo what Cowcollector said about you being a great dad. Truly, there is nothing heroic about fighting MM; like everyone else in life, we have the 'sink or swim' option. All we're trying to do is rise above something we don't want to defeat us. The support on this site makes that a whole lot easier.

Good to have you with us.

Liz.