How much?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by June-, Oct 28, 2013.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. June-

June- New Member

Suppose you were asked to look in on a temporarily vacant house belonging to a relative, once a week. It would take two hours of your time weekly, mostly commuting and about $10 worth of gas. Do a few things to make the house look occupied but no real work, no pets etc.

Assume you were inclined to do it because you are a nice person. What amount of $ would make this worth your while beyond just doing someone a favor?

2. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I wouldn't but I'm not a nice person :D

It's a relative; do it for free.

3. June-

June- New Member

We are the payers, not the payees. Trying to find a number that would be a treat to the nice people doing this. We are not utd on such things anymore.

4. BumbleBea

BumbleBea New Member

$10 for gas and maybe $20 per visit? Sounds reasonable without being overly costly.

5. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Maybe a monthly gas card to reimburse for the gas expense along with a nice restaurant/coffee shop gift card.

6. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

find out what the going rate is from a property management company is first and then make your decision. for some people, time is money.

7. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

I HAD A FRIEND COME TO MY APARTMENT DAILY TO CARE FOR MY PETS WHILE I WAS HOSPITALIZED. AT THAT TIME, 18 YEARS AGO, I HAD THREE PET PARROTS AND A CAT. I PAID HER $30 PER DAY AND A GIFT CERTIFICATE TO HER FAVORITE PET STORE.

8. Titus

Titus New Member

That's such a hard question. If the person is working, I'd pay them what they earn, reimburse for gas and add a nice gift certificate at the end. That said, I never pay anyone less than $15 an hour for any job. I hire students to do various things for me and I pay them $15 an hour. That's a real bargain for me for things like yard work and painting.

9. cc635

cc635 New Member

$30 per week for the two hours and that would help cover gas expenses.

10. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

when do I start? :D

11. Titus

Titus New Member

If you do windows, you can start tomorrow ;D

12. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

What did you end up paying/doing?