How in the heck do you eat a kiwi?

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by shartsoe, Jun 12, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Yes your Honour, I am reasonable for this man's condition.

Don't worry Nathan, it tastes just as good on the way up as it does on the way down. :D

2. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Fondue rocks! I had the best kilo of cheese in my life (in one sitting) in a fondue environment in Switzerland a couple of years back. I have a feeling that the Swiss don't actually do it that often and that my friends were dusting off the fondue setting for my benefit. God love 'em.

Pavolova rocks also and MUST be topped with strawberries, passionfruit and kiwi fruit. NO BANANAS.

What are Dutch babies???

3. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Dutch babies are similar to a puff pancake. Very easy. My husband and I had it at a Bed and Breakfast here some years back and I asked for the recipe. It's fairly plain, so it must be "dressed up" with fruit and maple syrup, but my family loves it. Eggs, a little flour, butter baked for about 10 minutes.

4. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Is a puff pancake the same as a pikelet?

5. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I've never heard of a pikelet, so I don't know. It's akin to a popover I guess. It does call for a pinch of salt to help it rise a bit, so when I'm watching my sodium intake, I try to remember to go easy on something else later in the day. It's really great with bacon, but alas, no more bacon for me!

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup milk
    1 pinch salt
    3 eggs, beaten
    2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9 inch pie or cake pan.
    In a large bowl, mix together flour, milk, eggs butter and salt. Stir until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
    Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees cooking for additional 5 minutes. Serve immediately.

6. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Sometimes I wonder what language You People speak ;) :)

cookie = biscuit
    biscuit= scone
    fortnight=two weeks
    cantaloupe= rockmelon
    aubergine=eggplant

and now pikelets and popovers! I have no idea what a popover is.

A pikelet is a small, fluffy pancake. They are yummy. I think your recipe is for pikelets. We eat them with jam and cream, in the same way we do with scones.

7. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Well, then, it's a pikelet! Good to know. ;D

8. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Nope, definitely not a biscuit -- it's much flatter, denser and richer than a biscuit. And, I do live in the South. Not dirty though -- beautiful, green NC. Love it. :) ;) :D ;D

9. chrisj

chrisj Guest

From the description, Dutch babies sound like pofferjties (sic).

They are a roundish kind of pancakey thing, you do them in a special pan, and have them with bananas and cream. Luvly! ;D

10. alibell

alibell New Member

Everyone loves us Kiwis ;D ;D ;D

11. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Choice, bro. ;D

12. alibell

alibell New Member

Eh you speak the good England Bro. Where you fella from? :D :D :D ;D ;D

13. alibell

alibell New Member

Well not quite everyone, there are a few Afghans that are quite piss off with our special forces at the moment.

14. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Well, I know about walking to the dairy, in your flip flops, carrying your chully bun..

I'm from Melbourne, bro. Bonus!

15. alibell

alibell New Member

Hey Chris
    We do call them jandles here. :D :D
    We have Fush and Chup Shops here too. There is actually a shop called the Fush and Chup Shop not far from here. My friends for the UK cracked up when they saw it. ;D ;D
    Melbourne.... A Magic City, Formula 1™ Grand Prix., Great food and drink and home to the Moomba festival what more could you want.

hoary for now

16. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Chully buns.

Chuckle.

Chilled as.

17. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Chrisj and Intrepid, did this thread just make a jump from the "Do opposites attract?" thread? Too funny, I guess we can't deny it -- everyone loves an Aussie -- er kiwi! ;)

18. chrisj

chrisj Guest

No.

19. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Beats the heck out of what's going on in the Meniere's Research Fund thread right now! ::)

20. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

That's actually why my friend originally gave them to me. Had read up on MM and wanted to help me in any way she could! Wish we all had that kind of support!