How did you quit smoking?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by rondrums, Apr 24, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

FWIW, I saw some testimonial online from some guys who had meniere's...he claims to be cured after he quite smoking...so...

2. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Good Luck! Ron we are in your corner :)

3. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

I suppose it's possible, Bubba. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, so quitting would help to some extent.
    But circulation is only one aspect of Meniere's. I know people who never smoked in their lives, and they have godawful Meniere's.

Anyway, smoking is stupid, as we all know.

Bless all, and curse the freaking kid who turned me on to cigs when I was 16,
    Ron

4. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Thanks, Vicki. I have my E cig all charged up and ready to go. It's pretty cool. It gives you a hell of a big vapor hit and it tastes like my brand. You can also decrease the nicotine dosage as you go along. I suppose it's "cheating," but I know a lot of folks who have used it to get off cigarettes.

One of my fellow professors at work quit cigs, and he's been vaping for a year, decreasing the nicotine doasge as he went along. At this point, he's down to "no nicotine" vaping. He sucks on the things in his office all the time. It's just water vapor, so nobody bitches.

5. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Uh oh, Altria (MO) is down lately, Ron quit smoking and the stock is going to hell.

Ron my man if it means you getting better I can go broke for all I care, stay strong my friend.

BD

6. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

That's not nice. You have free will and started smoking because you chose to.

7. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Ron,

Hang in there, I feel the same way about the kid showed me my first playboy. It has destroyed many relationships for me.

8. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

"And curse Sir Walter Raleigh he was such a stupid get." There ya go. Can't remember my own name most days, but obscure song lyrics? I'm all over it! :D

9. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

there are other much more toxic stuff than nicotine in cigarettes......we need to be responsible for our actions, i used to be a smoker and since meniere's there's not a single waking moment that I am not regretting it. it's too late to look into the science now but i'm sure there is a strong correlation between meniere's and smoking.

anyway, good luck with the quitting, no matter what you will be much healthier and feel better.

10. BEANZMEANZ

BEANZMEANZ New Member

I used to smoke a lot for decades and couldn't imagine my life "smoke free". Eventually because of a pokey bronchitis I got over the worst of the Cold Tuirkey before I could even think of facing a cigarette, then just took it one day at a time. But I just wanted to say to those that think the withdrawal is never ending, it's not. I can't stand cigarettes now and nothing would get me to smoke one now even if you paid me. So hang in there if it gets tough.

11. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

That's encouraging. Thanks

12. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Ron,

I'm getting a sense that the Alan Carr book didn't do the trick for you...? Agony of withdrawal, D Day, vapor cigarettes etc? Regardless - you can do it and there's a thread-load of us behind you!

13. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

It's like the Bible. I have to re-read it....

14. jimmykicker

jimmykicker New Member

Ron, I quit with the e cigarettes myself. What I liked about them is how "clean" they were compared to regular cigarettes, and I don't think I will ever go back to smoking as a habit although I may indulge in one from time to time. Good luck to you and I really hope the SS protocol works for you bro...I'd love to hear you were back behind the skins soon.

15. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Yeah, e cigs don't stink up your clothes and your house, and they don't have all the nasty tar and stuff.
    They're also kind of boring, so I don't think I'll stay with them for a long time. You can taper down the nicotine dose, so hopefully, I'll eventually be off nicotine for good.

16. mrdizzy

mrdizzy New Member

I decided I was done and picked a quit date about 2 weeks out and I quit.

17. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Yeah, I'm realizing that's the only way to go. The e gigs are just making me miss the real thing. Final decision and cold turkey is the answer.

18. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Good luck Ron! You've got this!

19. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I tried e cigs, several different brands and they make me nauseous and nothing close to a real cigarette IMO or close to the taste of my brand. Plus the FDA did a study that the ones they tested have carcinogenetics as well, so might as well smoke the real thing til ya quit. You can step down in nicotine and tar content as well with cigarettes.

It boggles my mind how the Surgeon General sends out all these warnings about cigarettes and states claim they want you to stop smoking so they tax you through the nose on them and like in NY make it illegal to smoke most any place but yet they have not been able to come up with a good safe alternative or an easy way to stop.

20. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

States make millions in cigarette taxes. Fed, too.