How did you quit smoking?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by rondrums, Apr 24, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Sorry, brain fog.....

2. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

That's the same way Miles Davis kicked heroin. Might be worth a try.....

3. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

Thought for today and good luck with kicking the habit:

Good things come to those who believe, Better thing come to those who are patient and the best things come to those who don't give up.

Believe that you can kick the habit, be patient with yourself, and never give up......

4. kevinb003

kevinb003 New Member

Wow, apparently I'm full of bullshit. Thanks for pointing out that you know more about me than I do. Hopefully someday I can reach such a state of enlightenment.

5. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Kevin, you're not full of bullshit at all. If you found it hard you found it hard. I just don't think it's helpful for the message that goes out to smokers who want to quit that it's going to be the hardest thing on earth. For many of us, it wasn't, it was easy. And I'm not lying when I say it was easy for me to quit.

Truth be told, for no good reason at all (other than hanging out in cafes in Europe and everyone else was doing it) I took up smoking again about five years ago, after ten years smoke-free. Sure enough I was soon back into it with gusto and found myself one evening chain smoking (not realising it until a disgusted friend pointed it out) and the next day I almost missed a crucial work meeting as I was outside puffing away. So - I went out and bought a copy of the Alan Carr book again, read a couple of pages to refresh my memory and stopped smoking again. Just like that. Easy. No pangs, no withdrawal, no agony, nothing. Easy as pie.

Hand on heart, not a word of a lie for me and thousands of others who have read that book, quitting smoking really IS easy - when you change your mindset about it.

I have nothing but respect for those of you who give up the old fashioned way, with will power and determination and through gritted teeth, feeling like you are giving up something you love. Because that IS hard. I tried it that way (a few times) and failed.

The point of my evangelical tale is that it honestly doesn't have to be that way. And I think there's enough suffering in the world already without adding to the misery by making giving up smoking a difficult task when really, it's lovely :)

6. Nathan

Nathan New Member

To anyone feeling the blues due to accusations of bullshit containment, fear not.

Physics allows us to calculate that we all inevitably harbour atoms evaporated from even the sloppiest steaming piles of excrement. Science also tells us that upon drinking water we consume the perspiration secreted by our parents during their coupling, but this isn't SLAA & I'm not Richard Feynman.

7. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

What have you been smoking? :D

8. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

I'd like some.......

9. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

LOL Intrepid...I was like...say what????

10. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Nathan, I'm tempted to repeat Karl Stefanovich's dreadful joke to HH the Dalai Lama regarding the type of pizza he orders...one with everything ;)

11. kevinb003

kevinb003 New Member

Thanks for the clarification and for sharing, Imnoscientist. For me the physical addiction was indeed easily overcome. It's the psychological addiction that was more challenging for me; however, with the proper mindset and strong resolve the goal of being an ex-smoker is achievable. Breaking addiction is easy for some, hard for some, and impossible for others. I just want Ron to know that if he doesn't find it as easy as you did to quit, that it doesn't mean he is failing or can't do it. It just may take a little more resolve.

Best of luck all,

Kevin

12. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Dam,

If all you people stop smoking Altria won't be able to raise their dividend next quarter and my portfolio may take a hit.

I have never smoked a cigarette in my life but I must admit, every now and then I will spend a day at a cemetery and one of the groundskeepers will offer me dip (usually Mark) and every so often I will take one, put my feet up and catch a buzz with Mark. I just wish he would take advantage of the dental plan we have at the company because his teeth are f$&@ed up.

13. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Bulldogs, you kick ass! I'm very sorry if my stopping smoking reduces your dividends!

Ron

14. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Ron,

I am on your team with this one. You know I'm pulling for you my friend.

15. Donamo

Donamo Guest

I think Bulldogs should sell all his stock in companies that produce or distribute tobacco products. This will then give him piles of cash. He should then take that cash to a travel agency and arrange a charter flight for all of us MDers to a beautiful tropical island where they serve colored drinks with umbrellas in them. At that location, we can all give Rondrums the help he needs in quitting smoking and we can tell each other war stories about Menieres. I dibs a window seat! :)

16. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Don,
    Sounds like a plan, your responsible for the ice cream my friend.

17. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

Count me in!

18. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Ron, how are you travelling?

19. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

D Day is this Wednesday, as soon as get my semester grades turned in at the university. One last cig, then the agony of withdrawal! Wish me luck.

Ron

20. Nathan

Nathan New Member

You can do it! You can do it!