Holidays coming up....recipe swap

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by DizzYoli, Oct 21, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. joy

joy New Member

Yoli - when you say "equal parts water", do you mean one can evap. milk, one CAN water?

And what size chocolate 'tablet' are we talkin about?

(Can you tell I'm definitely gonna try this one? ;))

2. joy

joy New Member

Prima Donna - RE the meringue kisses: Could you skip the fudge filling & serve/eat the meringue kisses "unfilled"? I saw a similar recipe & was wonderin that then, too. I know they wouldn't be as rich, but I'm thinkin they'd be this little light bit of sweet to add to a table full of heavy flavor-rich stuff.

3. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Joy...Oooo, that sounds yummy that way. I say go for it! :)

4. newflady

newflady New Member

Turkey suggestion, cook your Turkey as directed but cook breast side down, only need to baste two times and with 3 TBP. butter. flip 45 minutes before it is due to be done. Breast is tender and not dry everytime because the brown meat contains all the fat of the bird and it basically self marinates. Works for me every time!!!!!!

5. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

Yes, I have done that. I have also added a cup of chocolate bits to the batter, then shape them into little kisses before baking, and skip the fudge filling. The original recipe is made that way, but I liked the fudge filling better. They are tricky to bake. If you make them too large, and don't bake them long enough, the centers will come out gooey.
    -Donna

6. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

I was given this recipe by a friend. Haven't tried it yet, but sounds interesting. Good way to work out holiday stress. This might be one that the husbands will enjoy helping with.

Chocolate Peppermint Kisses

2 egg whites
    1/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp. vanilla or peppermint extract
    1/2 cup chocolate bits
    2 T. peppermint candy - finely chopped (use a hammer)

Beat egg whites & salt at high speed with electric mixer until stiff but not dry. Add sugar gradually, then beat 5 minutes or until very stiff. Fold in extract, chocolate bits & peppermint candy & drop from teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet. Top each cookie with a chocolate chip. Bake at 250 degrees F. for 45 minutes. Makes about 5 1/2 dozen cookies.

7. DizzYoli

DizzYoli New Member

Joy,

Yes on the one can evaporate milk to one can water.

On the tablet note, the chocolate comes out of the pakage in rounds. The rounds are scored into wedges. I have found if you like your chocolate, use the whole round. My hubby loves his chocolate and this amount of chocolate soothes the chocolate monster.

Yoli

8. DizzYoli

DizzYoli New Member

Chocolate peppermint......(Homerlike drool)

9. newflady

newflady New Member

Peppermint kisses......gonna have to add that to the christmas cookies.....if I make 'em.

10. joy

joy New Member

Okay great! We're gonna try this during the Thanksgiving break for sure.

11. June-

June- New Member

I love the cranberry orange relish.

1 bag cranberries
    1 orange
    1 cup sugar

Cut the orange in 8ths, unpeeled. Cut off the stem end or any very thick parts of the rind.

Put have the cranberries in a food processor with have the orange. Pulse till chopped up well. Remove and process the other half. Put mixture in bowl and add the sugar mixing well. Store in a mason jar in fridge for a week or more until Tday or Christmas.

I thought this was an old family recipe but it is on the back of most cranberry bags. I love it with any meat. And it has NO SALT!