Hmmmm...Are People Here Suffering From Anxiety's Physical Symptoms or Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by nassman, Jan 9, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Re: Hmmmm...Are People Here Suffering From Anxiety's Physical Symptoms or Menier

HI Shelly, I so wish I had done what you did when I had my thyroid problem, and said, "I'm not leaving until you figure this out." I was hospitalized 3 times for 3 days each one year while they rehydrated me, ran tons of tests, and then let me go, saying they couldn't find anything wrong. (Even though I had lost 25 lbs. and was skeletal). Sadly for me my regular doc was at the CDC at the time for a year, I'm sure he would have diagnosed it. Sadly I almost died on one visit from thyro toxic shock, my hubby said my heart was jumping out of my chest in the emergency room and we read later people over 40 rarely survive this. Lucky I was younger. It didn't help that my husband had a demanding job and was taking care of me and my two children at the same time. At some point you just run out of the wherewithal to sit back and demand help. We wished we would have been more aggressive now but luckily we eventually got them to figure it out. I have been told by docs too many times things were stress induced. Sometimes they sure are but I think docs fall back on this too often if they don't know the answer. At least they are right - It IS stressful to fall apart and not know why!!! :) Lisa

2. Buffy-Again

Buffy-Again New Member

I just wanted to put my two cents in....the only time I feel anxious about MM is from the drop attacks. I am afraid to break anything or seriously injure myself. I am in the process of getting a new ENT doctor. I am excited about this and hopeful they can help track down whatelse maybe going on with me.

Buffy

3. shelly3257

shelly3257 New Member

Lisa, have you heard anything about them changing the guidelines for over active thyroid? I have always tested borderline high and someone told me they lowered the numbers on what is considered high.

And Buffy, good luck with your new doctor. I am also going to see a new doctor and I am going to try allergy testing and seeing a chiropractor. I realize that you have to do your own research, try things that may help you, make your own appointments instead of waiting for the doctors to refer you....it's all up to us!

4. Dizzy Little Piggy

Dizzy Little Piggy OINK OINK

I worked over 30 years in managing computer data centers and at one point was managing 13 managers, 25 data centers and a staff of over 500 people. I was great at my job because I never got stressed or let things worry me. As time went on I even mellowed more. I am retired with no worries. I take the menieres as a grain of salt. I am willing to try different things to help with the symptoms but I have no expectations of a cure or that it will ever go away. I have accepted it and all of it's symptoms as a way of life. I have no anxieties. I am a realist and live my life to the best of my abilities. I have Meniere's Disease which has destroyed my hearing and causes me to get dizzy randomly from 3 to over 40 times a month. It has nothing to do with what I eat, what I do, weather (seasonal), or worrying, which I do not do. I take a diuretic daily and valium or meclizine only when I get the dizzies. For me this theory of yours is far from the truth. Peace be with you.

Piggy

5. fcclimber

fcclimber New Member

Piggy - I love your attitude. I agree - the anxiety thing doesn't fit me either. What I eat doesn't matter - as long as I'm on the diuretic...I hate to admit it, but little piggy is probably one of my favorite meals... :)

6. rainmaker

rainmaker New Member

Re: Hmmmm...Are People Here Suffering From Anxiety's Physical Symptoms or Menier

yeah i think this post is rubbish - i'm as relaxed as they come -i don't let too many things bother me.
    I have fought in full contact cage fights and win because i am so relaxed on the ground, I deal with confrontation everyday and it doesnt annoy me one bit - plus with the amount of physical training required - how could i have anxiety?
    this is a real disease with real causes and symptoms

its not the result of anxiety or taking anxiety meds - I only take a daily diuretic and so far (knock on wood) it is helping a lot!

I was tentatively diagnosed with this in Ireland and now again when I came here

so slide on Patsy with your conspiracy theories

7. fcclimber

fcclimber New Member

Rainmaker - cage fighting? Wow - My husband and I have been avid MMA and UFC fans for years. We're amazed at how popular the sport has become. (and we hope that it doesn't get 'dumbed' down too much) You guys are amazing athletes... Keep at it.

8. Daize

Daize New Member

I was diagnosised in 1996 with anxiety disorder, my primary care doctor made an appt. with physiciatrist (sp) and I saw him for one year, put me on on Xanax, low dose and Zolof. This was way before meniere's dx.

This had nothing at all to do with my meniere's, my hearing was excellent, and no dizziness, vertigo or anything, until I was dx. with ovarian cancer = stage 3 in May 1997. The affects from aggressive chemo. only caused my meniere's, my oncologist confirmed this, most people did not have that affect regarding hearing loss, I am in minority, and my ENT confirmed this too.

When I do get anxious, which is not often, my ringing is really bad, however, this is due to loss of family member, when I go for lab work once a year for CA125 tumor marker, family/friend sickness that is serious, etc.,.

My MM is definetly from chemo., and anxiety disorder doesn't help, but, I continue on my meds that have and continue to work for me.

Interesting post Nassman.

Ruth

9. tm53

tm53 New Member

Think maybe this thread has taken a turn?

Don't think the point was that MM isn't real. It is.

Think the question is: It appears that Anxiety can mimic MM symptoms. Are some of us suffering these symptoms from Anxiety's Physical Symptoms?

10. Alfie

Alfie New Member

OK, I have seen this post for days and resisted. call me a succor today.

HAVEN'T WE BEEN DOWN THIS THREAD BEFORE???????

I haen't been acitve in a while, but this topic just seems to make the rounds, over and over and over again.

I have my opinion on it, but I don't think it is necessary again. (GROWL... GROWL)

11. shelly3257

shelly3257 New Member

I have not been active for awhile, just recently so I find the information useful. For people who have been around for a long time, I'm sure they see the same things over and over. I think when I'm here for any amount of time, if I don't want to reread things, I would just skip it. You can usually tell what the post will be about from the subject line.

Perfectly said tm53.

12. nassman

nassman Guest

Ok mate...whatever you say tough guy....

13. June

June New Member

Even if it were always caused by anxiety, then the same question would remain. How come some people who are anxiety ridden have no hearing and balance issues while others do? There's still an underlying ear issue whether or not anxiety does some times play a role.

Knowing anxiety could be a trigger for some will be helpful for those who have not already figured that out. It gives them one more tool in the toolbox but that's all imo. Calling it the whole problem is more of a way to relieve doctors of stress so they don't get stress related diseases.

14. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

I don't think Nassman is saying that we ALL have anxiety disorder, just that maybe SOME do.

There really are some people with Meniere's.

15. nassman

nassman Guest

^^

Thank You Linda. This is exactly what I am saying. Also, that there seems to be a vestibular connection to anxiety that scientists (just as with meniere's) have not yet pin-pointed.

16. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

I honestly agree with nassman; some people possess symptoms that mimic (sp) MM...tinnitusis, dizziness, brain fog - etc. and those people may be treated with medications causing additional level of symptoms.

Some here truly have MM (like Linda - I mostly try to do without any medications) and it is clearly MM or atypical MM.

Some may have MM and anxiety; some may have vestibular disorder undiagnosed and anxiety.

I know if I take an ativan or whatever for the vomitting - I know the ears will ring louder and can make me dizzier. But sometimes that side affect is much less worse than the continual vomitting and dry heaving.

17. tm53

tm53 New Member

I agree. That's the point I was trying to make a few posts ago. Thread took a bit of a turn.

18. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

having MM or a vestigular disorder can cause or increase anxiety levels

but having anxiety doesn't cause MM
    but if a person has MM or a vestibular disorder the uncertainty and not knowing when an attack will strike can cause anxiety

19. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Or, as in my case, anxiety may have been the trigger that got the ball rolling. There's a fair chance that I have a predisposition to it (2 family members). My neurotologist said that this is certainly possible - turns out he has a friend who also has it and a long period of enormous stress is suspected as being the cause in his case as well. I believe the levels of stress I was going through could have triggered any one of a number of conditions, it just happens that my inner ear was most vulnerable.

20. June

June New Member

I understand that, I wasn't very clear in my response. I was trying to say that even -when- anxiety causes vestibular and/or hearing problems there is still an underlying condition a weakest link that causes the anxiety to play itself out in hearing and balance symptoms. We all know people with anxiety disorders that do not have any hearing and balance issues. Something makes people susceptible to having stressors show up in the area of the ear or 8th nerve.