Hi I'm new

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by julie321, Oct 11, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. julie321

julie321 New Member

Hello my name is Julie i am new here and new to menieres too, my doctor suspects this is what wrong with me but i have to undergo various test for them to be sure.
    Have'nt felt myself since this all began about 5 weeks ago. There was no warning i just woke up one morning with the whole world spinning. I must say it was very scarey. I feel rubbish most of all of the time. When will it go away???

2. FreshFaith

FreshFaith Ride to live. Live to ride.

hi julie and welcome!!! this place is awesome and you'll find lots of help... you can search the database or just ask lots of questions... we may not hear so good, but that doesnt keep us from talking our heads off!!! LOL

loved the pic of your horse on the porch... anyways, you're in the right place...and if we knew when it would stop, we'd tell you but maybe not, cuz we wouldnt be here!! :)

take care
    becks
    xxxx

3. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

Welcome Julie!

Glad you found us, but sorry you had to go looking for us.

I am sure you have lots of questions, concerns, and frustrations, just let them out here.

As far as when will it end......that is the big question, there is "burnout", you can do a search for postings.

anyway...welcome aboard
    Tuck
    aka Danny

4. Stacey3048

Stacey3048 New Member

Julie, welcome to the Meniere's family!

First of all, no matter what it is you are facing, you are not alone!! It is important that you get all of the various tests done to rule out other problems. I know waking up to a spinning world is very scary.

Feel free to share you experiences here or if you need to vent...please keep us posted!

Here is a website with various things that minic Meniere's Disease

http://www.menieres.org/jacki/jackis70.htm

5. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Hi Julie and welcome -

Yes, it's pretty scary at first, but there are ways to cope and manage. Check out the Database. There's a lot of good info there.

6. Gwendelyn

Gwendelyn New Member

Welcome Julie.

Gwen

7. cowcollector

cowcollector Don't hug a tree, hug a cow!!

hi julie,

welcome

8. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Hi Julie, Sorry you HAD to find us...but GLAD you did. Keep posting and reading and find comfort in having a community that is understanding and understands what you are going through.

-Yvonne

9. julie321

julie321 New Member

oh wow thank you for the quick and helpful replies.
    I had never even heard of meniere's before the doctor said it to me, initially i thought oh great i now know why i feel so bad and soon i will be better..... ummm now ive worked out it really doesnt work like that does it!
    The doctor said people have attacks and long periods of being completly well in between, after having a quick browse through here this really doesnt seem to be the case does it. I really thought i would feel rough for a week or so and then be all ok again for maybe months or years before it might happen again, in truth i have not felt well for the past 5 weeks just sometimes better than others but never what i would call back to normal self, i am to aware of everything going on in my head i have noises and my ears feel like i am on an airplane, the floor refuses to stay still and i am often reaching places (eg the door) before i thought i would get there.
    How can your life change so dramatically over night???
    Wow i havent let this all out before, feels good though i know i have only been this was for a short time but i did feel quite alone and my family are great but dont really understand any better than i do except the kids have learnt not to be too noisey around mum because it hurts her head.
    I have a question if the hearing is affected and in the long run damaged why do i seem so sensative to noise?? It seems to drive into my brain??

Sorry to go on i've only been here 5 mins and i seem to be on a roll :)

10. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Here's more on noise sensitivity:

http://www.hyperacusis.net/hyperacusis/what+is+hyperacusis/default.asp

http://www.sinuswars.com/tinnitus/recruitment.asp

11. FreshFaith

FreshFaith Ride to live. Live to ride.

julie...some days noise doesnt bother me at all..in fact, those here that have met me will tell you, i'm a big fat loud mouth!! :) but when i feel bad..........SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh no noises allowed.... teeheehee...

i've had this for about 6 years or so... and sometimes i feel completely normal.. and sometimes i feel weird and sometimes i feel plain ol' like garbage!

you'll get the hang of it.. and you'll figure out what works for you and what doesnt...

12. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Hi Julie,

Hang in there - it can get better from here.
    When this whole thing hit me earlier this year I was surprised by my noise sensitivity as well - but then again I was surprised by every part of this illness. Posting my questions and reading on this forum has given me a good decent perspective on the future.....everyone is different, anything can happen. Many many people have a strong onset and then after recovering, they can go years in remission. It never follows one particular path.

Please stick around, asks lots of questions - and know that we are all here for you.

Welcome!!!!

Amethyst

13. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Hi Julie, there are so many ways to alleviate symptoms.....sometimes I have to change what I am doing to treat it, but I have gone years in between treatment options with no symptoms. I have a neighbor with Menieres who talks so casually about it I can't believe she really has it....so there are so many different degrees. Hopefully you'll be one who faces an easier road. Good luck with your treatment, Lisa

14. GinaMc

GinaMc Me and my friend Sally :)

Welcome Julie.. you have come to the right place. I was dx with MM (Menieres) shortly after taking a line drive to the side of the head playing baseball... yeah no helmet.. not good. anyway... ask all the questions you want, even if you think they are stupid! never never a dumb question... remember that, you are just learning about this and the more you ask the more you will learn. There are SO many wonderful ppl on this board that are so willing to help... it is truly amazing.

Make sure to be seen by an ENT and write down all your questions before you go to the appt. take care and come here whenever you need, there is always someone lurking willing to help!

Welcome and hang in there.
    GinaMc

15. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

Hi Julie and welcome to the family :)

I have had this mongrel for 35 years now...started in the right, reached the burnout stage early and went into a long, long remisssion until Dx bilateral 10 years ago :mad:

It wasn't until recently that I became noise sensitive and believe me I would like to go back to the time I wasn't :mad: but as Amethyst said we are all different and you try not to worry about the "what ifs" until they happen, who knows, maybe after all your tests it will turn out to be something different and you would have worried yourself silly for no reason :)

Maggie

16. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

Hi Julie
    I have terrible problems with noise--door bells, church services, brakes squeeking etc. My physical therapist suggested custom ear plugs. They have been a life saver! I was at the point that I couldn't go out to eat without being a basket case by the time the meal was over. The plugs work great for me. I had tried the regular ones like people use who work in noisy places--but they blocked everything--these allow you to still hear but really muffles the noise.

Anyway, welcome--this is a great place to learn.

Willie Marie

17. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

Welcome Julie. Another member, TracyInIndy, has a great post on a Symptom Journal. Being new to this I think it might help you figure a few things out. My 1st attack was very sudden too. Happened just before lunch the 1st week of a new job! Great huh? Anyway here is TracyInIndy's post:

Symptom journal

Welcome to the forum. You need to find what triggers your symptoms. Start a symptom journal.

Record:
    When you eat
    What you eat
    What meds you take
    When you take the meds
    Your MM symptoms and changes thru the day (times)
    Stress levels
    Menstruation

Food allergies are a fairly common trigger for MM especially gluten (wheat & other grains) and dairy. If your symptoms usually get worse after eating the same type of meal then you can try eliminating that food from your diet. If you eliminate an allergen it should give you some relief with in a week or two at the most.

Common triggers:
    Sodium
    MSG
    Stress
    Fatigue
    Wheat
    Dairy

Less common but reported triggers:
    Nicotine
    Seasonal allergies
    Hormones
    Alcohol
    Caffeine
    Other inhalant allergies
    Other food allergies
    Weather

TracyInIndy

18. Robyn

Robyn Russell the Wombat

Hi Julie

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. :)

19. rev

rev New Member

Hi Julie,
    I want to welcome you to our dizzy world. The early stages are the most frightening, because you don't know where this is going. Everyone diagnosed with MM doesn't have to stop working altogether. The principal at my wife's school had a severe time for almost 6 months, since then she has returned to work and is doing well. Her quality of life is much the same as before the attacks began. Don't assume the worst case scenario. We are all different.

rev

20. Dixie Chick

Dixie Chick New Member

Just wanted to welcome you to the family