He's Baaaaaaack! And mostly cured...

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Papajoe, Apr 19, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

So glad you have found relief. I'm wondering if a person has to have any other symptoms besides the MM to have this problem? I don't have any outward signs of yeast and don't have stomach issues either, which is why I always question then if I could have a wheat/gluten problem since I have no intestinal issues and never have. It just seems that when these things are discussed then they have other ongoing symptoms in the gut/intestines.

My chiropractor recently suggested I do a liver cleanse sometime and I know some people do colon cleanses - does this help anything concerning yeast buildup? All this sometimes just goes right over my head!:)

2. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

Yes, this sounds like a definite possibility. Yeast is hard to kill, and acidophilus is part of the treatment, but ask your doc to humor you and put you on anti-fungal med, and consider the candida diet. The three pronged attack - attack it: anti-fungal, starve it: candida diet, and replace it: probiotics.

Then a little JOH never hurts, and anti-virals can help with the MM part of it.

Good luck!

3. Papajoe

I think the liver and colon cleanse are a little bit voodoo, but not completely.

The symptoms of MM are tinnitus, fullness, hearing loss that changes, and rotational vertigo. Period.

If you have other symptoms such as the oft-reported brain fog, fatigue, rashes, or allergies, then that is caused by something else, and that something else is likely to be causing the vestibular symptoms too. Yeast infection can do that.

I didn't used to think I had GI symptoms either, but I used to find that after a big meal in a restaurant, that I had to hit the john before I left for home. Turns out that was a form of IBS.

4. burd

burd New Member

Don't forget chronic or frequent dizziness and sensitivity to motion.

5. So Cal Cyclist

So Cal Cyclist View Askew

PPJ-
    I am so glad to read that you've found the right combination of things to help you with your symptoms. Congratulations!
    -SCC

6. Papajoe

Yes, thanks - non-rotational dizziness. I did forget that.

7. Papajoe

One nit to pick. This isn't just helping the symptoms, this is treating the cause. (but thanks!)

8. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

The only thing out of the things you mentioned is that I've had some rashes but not all the time. I break out when my skin touches - carpet & cardboard mainly and for awhile I had rashes under my arms until I changed deodorant.

So do I understand you are saying that getting rid of the yeast does not help with tinnitus, fullness, hearing loss that changes, and rotational vertigo? Just those other symptoms?

9. Papajoe

No, the anti-fungal treatment has helped the tinnitus, fullness, etc dramatically. It's now at the level of mere annoyance. I expect that after I've been on the med/diet/supplements for a few months that they will be a bad memory (except for perhaps a bit of tinnitus). The anti-virals help too, but even without them the MM has mostly gone away.

The reason I make a distinction is that the MM symptoms are not necessarily caused by the yeast infection. I believe that anything that weakens the immune system can allow the virus to reactivate and cause the MM symptoms. Physical damage, chemical damage, due to neck and head injuries can also cause them without any help from a virus.

So there are things other than yeast that can cause them. But if you've got the "atypical" symptoms I talk about, it's likely that yeast could be the problem. I'd say that the rash you talk about is reason enough to investigate it.

10. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

Thank you :)

11. Jordan

Jordan New Member

I'm not so sure about that, Papajoe. That is what we often hear/read, but it is obvious that people with Meniere's also have other symptoms in common, especially brain fog and visual disturbances. In my husband's case, these ALL cleared up with antiviral treatment. Also, if any doctor says that these are the only four symptoms of Meniere's, you have to consider the fact that not much research has been done into this condition over the past century. What you have provided is a "textbook" definition of Meniere's, which does not take into account what most people here say they experience.

12. Papajoe

Actually, that's the "textbook" definition. But we know how accurate the "textbook" is sometime.

If the anti-virals helped the brain fog & other stuff then they are certainly related, but it could be a result of a challenged immune system rather than a direct result of the virus. And the anti-virals fight the virus by boosting the immune system. But if the anti-virals solve it all, then it's all good!

13. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

Thanks for clarifying that for me Papajoe. I wonder how many Drs. I would have to go to to find one that would consider giving me this treatment? I think that's the hardest part of these new discoveries is getting a Dr. that will work with us.

14. utalledo

utalledo Paradise

Congratulations on your success!! I wish I could find a cure for myself....

15. Papajoe

In my case, I had the name of several allergy doctors. I posted a message on my company's internal bulletin board asking for feedback. Dr Taylor was recommended as someone who thought outside the box. Perhaps you can ask friends or family, or even post to Craig's list asking for recommendation. There is another list (Angie's?) list that give reviews for doctors. Perhaps some of those could help you find a doctor willing to try some non-standard treatments.

16. Papajoe

Have you tried anti-virals, elimination diet, JOH or NUCCA? You can't find it if you don't look...

17. Papajoe

BTW - I found this web site - apparently this guy was one of the first to figure out yeast infections way back in 1982. He has quiz that tells you how likely you are to have a yeast infection. I can't comment on the accuracy. I scored 9 where 7 means you likely have a yeast infection, and 10 is that you almost certainly have one (for males). For women, 9 means you probably have yeast issues and 12 means you almost certainly do.

Try it out and see what it says about you:
    http://www.yeastconnection.com/yeast.html#questionaire

It doesn't save your answers. You just count the points on the questions you answer "yes" to.

18. Chipmunk

Chipmunk New Member

Hi Papajoe,

I read this post a few days ago and have checked some web sites on candida before I responded.

I don't know what to think of the possible yeast connection, but I'm thinking more and more that both diet and what our bodies actually absorb are both important factors. Last fall, when I started taking acyclovir, I also tried to follow the glycemic index as per Rick's recommendation. I wanted to eat healthy while on the acyclovir, and I also needed to lose some weight.

I cut out sweets (didn't eat many anyway), cut back on other carbs, and stopped drinking wine which I normally had with dinner every night. I had been taking medication for acid reflux for years--first Rolaids, then Zantac plus Rolaids, then the stronger prescription, Pariet, which prevents the stomach from producing acid. After about a month I had lost 7 lbs and found that I no longer needed the Pariet. When I look back, I see that ALL my problems started after I began taking Pariet in August, 2007. I first noticed some hearing loss in Nov., 2007, and then had my first vertigo attack in April, 2008. In Dec., 2008, my B12 level was found to be extremely low (134) so I have been using the sublingual supplements since.

So my body PH was probably off for years, and I guess that can affect yeast levels.

I took the candida test, but I found that some of the questions included too many things so I wasn't sure how to answer, but, yes, I could fit the mould.

I'm very interested to hear your progress on this.

19. Titus

Titus New Member

Best wishes....thanks for reporting what's working.

20. Papajoe

If the question included multiple things, you only need to match one of them to answer yes, which indicates to me that, for those questions you weren't sure how to answer, the answer should probably be yes.

"Leaky Gut", which the yeast infection causes, is a very controversial subject, but I know from my own experience over the last six months that is it real. Maybe not for everyone. My GI doc says he doesn't believe in it in general, unless there is a specific cause for it. I believe the yeast is the cause.

I found one study that demonstrated how the yeast can damage the mucous between cells in the intestines, which is supposed to keep things out of the bloodstream. That damage is, I believe, "leaky gut".

I go see my GI doc for a follow up next week. At the time I last saw him, I had not figured out the yeast connection. I knew I had leaky gut, but not why. My GI tests came back normal, so there was not a "specific" cause for the GI Doc to point to. I'll ask him what he thinks of the yeast as a cause.

Even though I'm not cured yet, the effectiveness of my strict diet in reducing my MM symptoms (both standard and atypical), plus the return to a pretty normal life now that I've been on Nystatin for three weeks, let's me know that I have it nailed.

It will take a long time to kill off the yeast. I'll have to keep on a careful diet until it does. Once I'm "cured", I'll have to maintain a healthy lifestyle, forever. That doesn't mean I won't be able to have pizza, just that I'll have to pace myself and not eat junk every day. I'll have to exercise and keep my weight down. I'll keep taking diet supplements.

I may not live to be 100, but at least I'm enjoying life again.

For the rest of you, if you haven't taken the yeast quiz yet, try it.

http://www.yeastconnection.com/yeast.html#questionaire