Help wanted for a Meniere's cookbook project

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by HeadNoise, May 12, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Meniere’s Resources wants to put together a cookbook helpful to those who are on low sodium diets and also gluten free diets. We have a volunteer to help coordinate the project, but she
    needs helpers! We also need submissions of recipes that fit these categories.

All kinds of recipes are needed, from appetizers and beverages to desserts and snacks. Vegetables, salads, main dishes, side dishes, breads, rolls, candy, pickles, jellies, fruit dishes and vegetarian main dishes are to be included.

If possible, include the sodium content per serving. Be sure to note if you are using low sodium
    canned goods, or if they are to be drained and rinsed.

If you can help out by doing some contact work by email or researching the internet for cookbook publishing information, or if you can proofread recipes, retype if necessary, verify ingredients and help set up the layout of the book, let us know.

If you have recipes that you love and are tasty in spite of low sodium or being gluten free, please email us at

[email protected].

2. connordr

connordr Me with grandkids

Include me in. I have been working on such a cookbook for several years nw with recipes and some general info besides.
    INTRODUCTION:
    The overall goal is to provide stable body fluid/blood levels so that secondary fluctuations in inner ear fluid can be avoided. The following steps will help you achieve this goal.
    Distribute your food and fluid intake evenly throughout the day and from day to day.
    Eat approximately the same amount of food at each meal, and do not skip meals.
    If you eat snacks, have them at regular times.
    Avoid taking in foods or fluids that have a high salt or sugar content. High salt or sugar levels in the diet result in fluctuations in the inner ear fluid pressure and may increase your symptoms. Aim for a diet high in fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and low in canned, frozen, or processed foods.
    Drink adequate amounts of fluid daily. This should include water, milk, and low-sugar fruit juices (for example, cranberry). Coffee, tea, and soft drinks should not be counted as a part of this intake. Try to anticipate fluid loss that will occur with exercise or heat, and replace these fluids before they are lost.
    Avoid caffeine-containing fluids and foods (such as coffee, tea, and chocolate). Caffeine is a diuretic that causes excessive urinary loss of fluids. Caffeine also has stimulant properties that may make your symptoms worse.
    Limit or eliminate your alcohol intake. Alcohol can affect the inner ear directly, changing the volume and concentration of the inner ear fluid and increasing symptoms.
    Avoid foods containing MSG (monosodium glutamate). This is often present in pre-packaged food products and in Chinese food. It may increase symptoms in some patients. This may be listed by glutamate, yeast extract, yeast food ,autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed protein or other names.
    Avoid aspirin and medications that contain aspirin. These can increase tinnitus and dizziness.
    Plan on spending more time and more money for meals.
    You want healthy, cheap and quick, but you cannot have all three. If you pick healthy and cheap, you will spend a lot more time in the kitchen. If you want healthy and quick, it will cost you. A can of beans costs four times the standard store brand. Read labels: some “low salt bacon” contains more sodium that another brand’s regular.
    The challenge is maintaining , low sugar, low glycemic load and low fat at the same time.
    Processed food is generally a bad choice. They generally contain excess sodium. Prepare meals from fresh ingredients so additives can be controlled.
    Remember: "Natural" doesn't mean "safe." "Natural" only means that the ingredient started out in nature.
    Use “No Salt” –potassium chloride rather than sodium chloride (Yes, it is a salt, and the label should be “no sodium.” Ah well, scientific ignorance sells!)
    Use baking powder available in health food stores.
    Use Splenda, better than other non-sugar sweeteners.
    Avoid the low-fat and fat free dairy products; yogurt, cream cheese, cottage cheese. They are loaded with salt. Neufchatel cheese in place of cream cheese, ricotta in place of cottage cheese, have less salt. Yogurt is out unless you make it yourself.
    Use olive oil, sesame oil, soybean oil (usually labeled vegetable oil) and peanut oil or butter. Margerine is hydrogenated oil, and should be avoided in any form.
    Non-dairy coffee creamer, e.g. Nestle’s unflavored Coffee Mate has no salt. Skim and powdered milk have 105 mg salt per cup.

3. rose

rose New Member

Great info Connor! I would also like to volunteer. I can proofread/retype if necessary. That is primarily what I do for a living (proofread). I can't even read a book/newspaper without finding typos ;D. Who do we submit recipes to?

4. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

5. fignewton

fignewton New Member

Does anyone have a recipe for low salt baked bean? The canned beans at the store are all loaded with sodium.
    I'm also needing a low sodium salad dressing recipe.

6. connordr

connordr Me with grandkids

This is my recipe for Yankee baked beans. It takes a while, but it's worth it.
    1 lb fresh pork (boneless neck bones, ribs, a cheap cut)
    1 lb navy beans (Navy beans give that ideal brown color. Avoid great Northern beans.)
    1 medium apple cut in chunks, cored, skin on
    1 medium onion, peeled, cut in chunks
    1/2 cup molasses
    1 Tsp prepared mustard or 1 tsp dried mustard
    2 Tsp maple syrup or honey
    2 Tsp salsa (here in NC peach salsa is readily available)
    cumin, bay leaf, red pepper

soak beans overnight,
    In the morning, simmer beans with bay leaf and one dried red pepper for about an hour until tender but not mushy. Drain, but save bean water
    Cover fresh pork with water, add cumin, and boil dry. Pork will be fork tender.
    In bean pot place apple and onion chunks, cover with drained beans and pork
    Blend molasses, syrup, mustard, salsa, honey and about half a cup of the bean water
    Pour over the contents of the bean pot
    Cover and bake in a 250 degree oven for seven (That's right! SEVEN hours.) Check after about five hours to stir and add water if needed. You may uncover for the last hour or so to bring out the color.

Tell B&M to take a hike.

For a salad dressing, try your own honey mustard sauce. Just honey, mustard and lemon juice, or for a raspberry walnut vinaigrette, use raspberry preserves, chopped walnuts and lemon juice. For a thicker dressing for cole slaw, etc. I cut the mayonnaise with sour cream, add no salt added salad cubes or relish, lemon juice, mustard and chopped herbs. I grow my own herbs, but the Italian dried herb mix works well. Use enough lemon juice so it flows rather than spreads like mayonnaise.
    DC

7. fignewton

fignewton New Member

Thanks! These sound yummy. I'm looking forward to eating baked beans again and dressing on my salad.

8. Titus

Titus New Member

Our grocery store carries all kinds of canned beans without sodium added. They are organic. If you don't want to soak your beans and you can't find them in your local grocery store, check your health food store. I use them in all kinds of dishes.

9. Uncle Buck

Uncle Buck New Member

Define organic. Do you mean no added sodium and/or preservatives, or grown without herbicides/pesticides/fertilizers, etc.?

10. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

sent you a message; let me know if you got it

heres two recipes

11. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

[​IMG]
    carrots, with skin, potatoes with skin, onions, and beets with skin (skin will fall off after cooking)
    cut rather large chunks of vegetables and place in baking pan
    sprinkle 1/2 cup water to 1 cup water over vegetables
    add basil, fresh or dried, 1/4 cup brown sugar or molasses (if wanted), pepper, cumin (to taste) and any other fresh or dried herb
    cook at 375 covered with foil for an hour uncover baste vegetables with juice in pan - sprinkle olive oil over vegatbles lightly uncover pan and cook for another 15 minutes and then serve

12. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

[​IMG]
    sprinkle frying pan with olive oil
    add potatoes and skin (rather large cuts) to pan and fry at low heat
    when potates are tender add cut up onions, peppers, any other vegetable
    sprinkle with pepper, red, basil, oregano, any herb to flavor
    turn up heat and stir until onions are nice and brown
    enjoy

13. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

this morning I remembered that after the 1st vertigo attack I went to the books: studying herbs for many years, I adapted a receipe for they said a dizziness cure, 4oz of hawthorne berries, crushed wiyh a hammer, soaked in water overnight, then heated to boiling, strained Y drunk. very very refreshing & helped lots until the berries ran out.

14. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

The berry juice makes a great thing to use for Tie-dyed T-shirts

Do you remember how to make a tie-died t-
    Shirt with rubber bands???

15. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

i never did, gina, my friend bill heine actually invented it, and i've watched him. he used a hypodermic needle in the very early days, i never saw that, and he'd tie the cloth after folding it a number of times with string. when i watched him he used a srynge without the needle and i photographed the process extensively; the result as well