Help I need venision recipe

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by imtickledpink, Nov 13, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. imtickledpink

imtickledpink New Member

I have a freezer full of deer hamburger and back straps. I don't even know where to begin. I need recipes, how to take the wild taste / smell out. ???

2. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

soak in milk
    use as you would beef in recipes
    I have made venison chili and venison mexican stew the same way I would have if I used beef
    if you want specific recipes I use that are low so, let me know

3. jrw

jrw New Member

I don't bother to soak venison in milk since our deer tend to feed on the local corn crops anyway. It's not like getting an antelope in Wyoming that has fed on sage!

I use it just like hamburger. Or you can blend it with hamburger, say about 50/50 or whatever ratio you like. I use it in meatloaf, hamburger patties, tacos, chili. The backstrap seems awkward since it's a long skinny piece, so either filet it down the length, or do like butchers do with loins. Cut a pice about a 1.5 " wide, then slice that piece about 3/4 thru down the middle so you have 2 sections 3/4" wide but still connected. Then split them open and pound them a bit flat. Filet Mignon! You don't want to cook the filets a lot. Venison gets tough if you overcook it. I like it medium well or just barely well done.

4. imtickledpink

imtickledpink New Member

Thanks! What does the milk do? How long do I soak? I live in Indiana so they eat plenty of corn. I'm assuming what they eat effects the taste? For me the less wild taste the better. I do need to know some low so seasonings. I would love some recipes. Both the chili and mexican stew sounds great. My chili recipe is Chili-O so I've been wanting a chili recipe.
    I think I will start off mixing half ground beef and half deer to start with.

Also what do I fry the backstaps in? I fry chicken in olive oil but olive oil does'nt sound right for deer. If I pan fry steaks I use butter. It's also good to know not to over cook because they get tough. I like my meat well done so I tend to over cook

5. jrw

jrw New Member

I use olive oil to fry venison. Works just fine. Butter tends to burn too easily. For seasonings in the chili, just whatever you normally use. Any cookbook has their version of seasonings. Just don't get the prepackaged ones. Use chili powder, worcestshire sauce, onions, etc. and leave out the salt.

6. Cath

Cath New Member

We use a lot of kangaroo meat, which I imagine would be similar.

I often make chilli with ground 'roo, a couple of stalks of celery, soaked kidney beans (or canned salt free), tomatoes, garlic and a great brand of chilli paste that is the only one I've found that is low in sodium.

I also serve it in lo sodium taco shells with salad, sour cream, avocado, etc.

7. imtickledpink

imtickledpink New Member

Interesting! I've never heard of eating Kangaro. Is it hunted as a sport and have a wild taste? Or is it raised for meat?

8. Cath

Cath New Member

Kangaroo is becoming increasingly popular here and is widely available in supermarkets. It is not commercially farmed so what we are able to buy is hunted.

It used to be very cheap - it still is a great deal cheaper than beef, but it's becoming more popular and the price is creeping up correspondingly.

It has a very gamey taste - minced kangaroo doesn't smell very good as it's cooking. it is exceptionally low in fat and if it's being BBQd or seared it needs to be medium rare at the most otherwise it's like shoe leather. Lucky I like rare meat!

9. imtickledpink

imtickledpink New Member

Sounds like deer meat. I have a hard time getting past the smell of deer cooking. Do you marinate the meat in any thing to take out the wild taste? A hunter told me to soak the meat in orange soda pop for two days before cooking to draw the wild taste out???? I havent tried this yet.

10. amberini

amberini New Member

Venison Stroganoff
    Ingredients

* 1 1/2 lbs venison, cut into thin strips
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    * 1/4 cup minced onion
    * 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    * 3-5 tablespoons butter
    * 2 tablespoons flour
    * 2 cups beef broth
    * 3-4 tablespoons sherry wine
    * 2 tablespoons tomato paste
    * 1 teaspoon dry mustard
    * 2/3 cup sour cream
    * cooked noodles or cooked rice or cooked potato

Directions

Season venison with salt and pepper, refrigerate for 2 hours.

In a large skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in butter until tender.

Remove from skillet and set aside.

In the same skillet, brown venison, adding more butter if necessary.

Remove meat and stir in flour.

Gradually add broth, stirring constantly.

Stir in sherry, tomato paste and mustard to make a smooth gravy.

Add meat, onions and mushrooms and simmer over low heat 20-30 minutes.

Just before serving, stir in sour cream and heat until bubbly.

Serve over hot noodles, rice or potatoes

11. imtickledpink

imtickledpink New Member

amberini- Sounds soooo good. I am going to try it Friday night! My son had all his deer made in to back straps, hamburger and jerky. This is the first recipe that I've seen that I'm willing to try. 2 yrs ago my son cooked venison hamburger and it smelled so bad I've been afraid to try myself. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thankyou! Leah

12. amberini

amberini New Member

I wish you all the best and let me know how you like it. Just watch the addition of flour. If you are familiar with making a roux, browning the flour, you will understand that step. Making a roux should take as long as it takes to drink 1 beer, so Emeril says. Suffice to say, go slow, medium heat, don't take your eyes off the skillet (so don't look at your beer) and always keeping stirring. Supposedly, the sherry will remove the game taste/or add a different flavor, depending on your point of view.

13. imtickledpink

imtickledpink New Member

Thanks for the tip. I can't wait to try it. My Husband and son have been waiting since October for me to fix my 1st venison meal. I'm finally ready to try it!

14. Cath

Cath New Member

YUM! I am definitely going to try that stroganoff recipe with 'roo!

Thanks amberini

"don't take your eyes off the skillet (so don't look at your beer)..." thanks for the hearty laugh too!

15. amberini

amberini New Member

OMG, Kangaroo??

I did make a stroganoff recipe from the original Russian Tea room. It was really good and the family didn't leave enough for leftovers. It had wine, sorry, no beer and I used a London Broil so no gamey taste.

16. pocus

pocus New Member

Here's my favorite recipe to use wild meat (I use deer or moose, whatever I have)

7 lbs ground pork
    3 lbs ground wild meat
    1 cup water
    very little salt (I use less. If someone wants more they can salt it at the table)
    1 oz sage (30 grams)
    3/4 oz ground pepper (25 grams)
    1 teasppon ground ginger

Mix well, make into patties and freeze. I made this this past weekend and ended up with about 100 sausage patties.

17. Huck

Huck New Member

We eat venison 2-3 days a week. To tenderize steaks I pour a small amount of olive oil on the meat and stir it around until it completely covered. I also season it with prime rib rub. Leave it in the fridge for the day to marinade. You will have very tender steaks that are better than beef. I dont understand the "wild flavor" or smell while cooking. I was brought up eating venison and small game. The best is bear meat, beats venison any day.

Note: 1/4 tsp of prime rib rub seasoning is 330mg sodium. So if you ate 1/3 of the meat 110mgs. Just one thing to consider. I am new to the loso cooking, I may need to look into new seasonings myself.

18. imtickledpink

imtickledpink New Member

I gotta try it. Where do you find the prime rib rub? Is there a name brand for it?

19. Huck

Huck New Member

Sorry I did see your post ITPink! I get the Prime Rib Rub from the meat dept at bigger grocery stores and at my local butcher shop. I have never seen it at the seasoning area in stores like WalMart. It is made by Excalibur.
    Try www.excaliburseasoning.com for more info.
    I just found another seasoning I really like I picked up at Walmart. Weber Grill Creations Gourmet Burger Seasoning. 1/4 tsp 115mg sodium. Thats is why I picked it up, it is lower in sodium. I have tried it twice and so far really like it. Hope this helps.

20. imtickledpink

imtickledpink New Member

Thankyou, I bought a primerib rub yesterday at Walmart by McCormick. The sodium content is 250mg . More than yours but I'll try it and look for the Weber burger seasoning when I go back. I plan on trying the recipe out Saturday!