Heaven & Hell and the afterlife through my eyes...

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Chris0515, Aug 14, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. June-

June- New Member

I can see that. You're a thoughtful person. I think what works probably depends on the kid and the parents both and the culture as well. Some kids themselves are so hyper that it is tough for a parent or caregiver to remain calm. I've been in that situation. I still maintain there is a lot of mileage out of a calm firm demeaner. Sometimes it takes the patience of Job but I would always try to start there myself. Then again, put me in a school bus full of kids and I'd probably go off the deep end! I never understood how a person could do that job.

2. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Sometimes it took the patience and calmness of a Saint in dealing with me June. :eek:

3. corona

corona New Member

What brought about the change? I always say I have nothing but admiration for those who overcome their addictions. It's hard, hard, work.

4. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Well my parents laid down a strong foundation for me to fall back on for one thing, and then I didn't just do it alone and it was a friend of mine's church that helped me completely go clean, because I joined their support group and began attending services twice a week and meetings once a week and prayed hard about it. So it took me about 2 years, but by 1994 I was totally sober and beginning to pick up the pieces of my life that I'd smashed all over the ground.

5. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Overcoming an addiction is one of the most difficult things one can do, Chris. I didn't know about that and I admire that.

6. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Trust me they are two different worlds where I used to be and where I am today, and I can assure everyone that I am NEVER going back there and haven't for 16 years now.

7. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

Kindness begins with self and learning to appreciate, validate , and respect others even if they don't belive the same way we/I do.

Thank you Steve.

Bravo - Chris - coke is a very hard drug to overcome and I am very proud of you. I think writing/journaling - expressing your feelings in a journal or book even would be beneficial to you.

8. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

corona-If I die I know I will go to heaven. Does that make my life here on earth any less important - no. Jesus instructs that our life here on this earth is a job that we must take seriously and that although I am promised eternal life when I confess Him Lord and take Him into my heart - my life here on this earth will not be simple and sometimes hard and complicated but He will be with me and see me thru my struggles and give me a peace and love that surpasses most people's understanding. My job here on earth is to love each other and treat each other with respect. If someone has the heart to hear or ears to hear about Him then to tell them the Good News about Him. If not, than to demonstrate His love and to help others regadless of their belief system or race. Just because someone does not want to hear about Him does not make me turn my back to them - no - just the opposite. So being good stewards and helping - truly helping- our fellow man is what Jesus calls me to do. I can write here on the forum and spend countless hours and energy writing/debating/negating about Jesus and what he/she/ you said...but what is the point. There are people in my community and the world that need my help. There are homeless shelters, food banks, shut-ins, widows, orphans, etc...to preach or lecture on this forum is really null. Actions - is more important to me than well thought out responses and such.

Corona, your belief system is what makes you Sarita. My belief system is what makes me T. You live in this wonderful free country where you have the right to believe whatever you wish and the freedom to write about it. That is a real blessing. You speak about doing good and believing in the now and not worrying about following a God or Jesus. Okay, if that is your belief than that is fine and you encourage others to do this as well. However, my belief is to believe and follow the teachings of Jesus and if I encourage others to believe in what you 'preach' (sorry lack of word) to follow their own path to live for me and the now - and not follow God or Jesus...than I am doing a grave sin against Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and God. You may not care about others afterlife but I do. I do not mean that flippantly but I really care what happens to forum members after they die. I care tremendously about their 'now' status but I also care about where their soul will go.

note: I've spent years of my life searching and reading about other beliefs and non beliefs - for lack of word. I've read and studied Islam, Buddism (sp) no specifi religion belief - Wicca - I was searching for something and never found it...that is until I truly met Jesus. Although being brought up in a church and Christian home - to me Jesus was non tangible or not reachable - all of those years I never thought or prayed to Him or had a reltionship with Him...so those years spent searching I never knew that I had the answer already with me...and that answer was not Budda or Prophet Muhammad (peace) or whatever...it was Jesus.

9. egross

egross New Member

I've been reading past posts on this thread, I just came upon this last night and posted based on the title. But there was so much that seemed to veer away from the title and I wondered how? So I read. It's very interesting. I can relate somewhat to you Chris since I am too a recovering alcoholic and drug addict 19 years clean and sober. It's funny I keep listening to my ipod over & over to Springsteen's, Streets of Philadelphia, because as a child of the 60s that's where my friends and I hung out in "hippie" clubs, getting high, listening to bands play, walking the streets of Philly. When I got older I stopped the drugs, married, became "respectable" had children and drank. But see that was ok, that was acceptable, that was normal, that was my family's traditional activity. Totally acceptable. Not okay to get physical, nor too sloppy. OK to be funny and stupid. I justified my drinking for years. Didn't get sober till I was 40. My first AA meeting I went to was with a friend who had a problem not "me". Right! In that room I heard my story and it changed my life around and it changed who I was as a human being and it gave me a relationship with a power greater than myself - God. How lucky was I!

10. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

egross - what an accomplishment and story - i love that song - streets of philadelphia as well - now when I hear it (when I can) I will think of you and chris' accomplishments with a very hard disease - addiction

11. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I agree too egross that was a very good in depth post into your past life, and thank God for me I never had a problem with alchohol and still don't to this day and only do it occasionally and socially.

12. pardonme

pardonme Guest

13. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Well then Heaven's gotta be better than that, right? There's the uplifting belief that there's always tomorrow to try and fix it. I kinda like thinking of heaven like that.

14. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Huuuuuh? Not unless you plan on dying and then coming back to life out of the ground.

15. egross

egross New Member

There but for the grace of God, one day at a time.

16. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

No problem, you just didn't catch the meaning I intended - another day perhaps...

17. egross

egross New Member

Did you mean like Scarlett O'Hara's "Tomorrow is another day"? That's funny. I've always said that in jest. But it has helped me get through a tough day with a laugh which isn't bad sometimes.

18. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I get what you're saying egross - but i thnk I must've been mixing my metiphors or something.

Chris, it seems was talking about once you get to heaven, there's no 'fixing' so he'd rather do that now while he's here on earth. Seems kinda difficult when you don't know how you will be judged. Seems also as though there's a lot of scared effort in that. I was just saying it'd be nice to be able to fix them once you know what they all are - in heaven. That's all I was saying... do ya know what I mean?

19. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I was just saying that you probably won't be able to change what already happened here once you are up there.

20. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Yea, I guess what's done is done - I just hope that God doesn't hold us to his standards - since he already said we could never do that in this reality, so to speak. Is there a place in the bible where it talks about this? Expectations?