Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by dolfan, Oct 31, 2013.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

My new premium came.....are you ready, 869.00 a month. I think between car, home and health....don't forget windstorm, we are way over 20,000 a year. :eek: :'(

2. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

If it covers your family of four you're in a good place. Many people have it a lot worse.

3. Titus

Titus New Member

I'm lucky to be on my employer's group plan. I only pay $46 a month for Blue Cross (Florida Blue) with a $500 deductible and very reasonable co-pays. My friend, who just turned 60, pays $1,500 for his wife and him.

4. June-

June- New Member

I paid over $7000 a year for just myself and that with a $500 deductible til i became medicare eligible in August. But i was glad to pay the $7000 because no other company would sell any policy to a 64 year old. This company couldnt get rid of me because of hippa.

This summer, i became medicare eligible and went to the medicare exchange for advantage plans and got to actually choose from several good options.

5. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

My health insurance is ending Dec 31 :( I made an application on the NY Health Exchanged and qualified for a subsidy, the bad thing about the exchange plans are, the ones with the lower premiums have deductibles and coinsurances in the $1000's, and the copays are high as well. Not so "affordable" IMO

6. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

edit: Exchange*

7. Halos

Halos New Member

8. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

AFLAC......AFLAC, AFLAC, AFLAC,.........AFLAC!!!! :D

9. valsc0508

valsc0508 New Member

Well our crap insurance with huge deductibles and out of pockets is $1547 a month.....A MONTH.....like $18, 500 a year if you are adding it up. It is killing us! Moving to a marketplace plan in Jan, thank goodness, which will save us like $700 a month and only has $500 deductible with the same company and doctors.

10. June-

June- New Member

Glad to hear it. I became medicare eligible 4 months before the new plans became available. I checked to see what i would have under the new plans. Less than half what i paid! With no subsidy. If i had had access to these competitive rates for the 10 years i paid for my own insurance i would have saved on the order of $25,000 out of pocket. So for anyone on the individual direct pay market, this is going to be a nice surprise.

A few people may pay a little more but that happens, just like i paid school taxes for 45 years even though i dont have any kids. We have certain responsibilities to the community we live in.

11. angrychicken

angrychicken New Member

My brother in law - who has 5 kids, a mountain of debt and limited income has been staunchly (and vocally) against "Obamacare" from the get go. He recently found out that his family is eligible for a subsidy and will reduce their premium from $1500/month to about $300/month - with much lower deductibles and co-pays, and better coverage. He hasn't admitted he was wrong yet :)

12. June-

June- New Member

He's getting that from the Affordable Care Act which is a good thing. That Obamacare is still a bad thing. ;)

Watch the name change as people get to like it. :D. It always happens.

13. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Watch the Jimmy Kimmel segment where people he interviews are very against Obamacare but support the Affordabel Care act...hahahahaha! :D

14. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

I saw that a few weeks back ... it was hilarious and at the same time scary that people are that uneducated about such an important thing.

15. Halos

Halos New Member

looking at some of the reports coming out it seems nobody is really signing up. i saw that only 1 person in delaware and 5 people in north carolina have signed up. Hopefully it is a problem with the website not working and not sticker shock at some of the prices and deductibles being offered by the exchanges.

16. June-

June- New Member

Minn had something like 35,000 sign up i read. I dont think it is sticker shock cause the price here in PA is half what i paid last year for a similar cost. I think it is the fed website issues plus the policies dont actually start before jan 1 so people arent rushing. They said a similar thing, ie late signing up, happened in Mass when they did this a few years ago.

Young people always wait til the last minute. I am counting on their parents to get to them over christmas about the importance of having insurance. Not that young people will listen ...

17. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Many young people cannot afford the cost of insurance even under the ACA. I can't and I'm not young. You have to consider everyone's personal story, financial situation and income.

Healthcare, even under the ACA isn't really affordable for everyone.

18. June-

June- New Member

Have you checked the subsidies that apply to you? I am surprised that it is more under th aca than before because as i said min is half and you are ahem, not 19, and have preexisting conditions so i think you'd be in the place to benefit most cost wise. Of course TX is a foreign land to me.

19. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

TX is a foreign land to me too. I don't understand it and don't really care to.

20. Halos

Halos New Member

Just Released

only about 27,000 have signed up and paid for insurance on the ACA
    only 106,000 have registered or created an account. (27,000 paid)
    5 million people have been canceled as of now on their insurance from the report i heard.
    Businesses have been given a 1 year delay
    According to the report they needed 7 million people to sign up to make it work.

Maybe it is time to start over and do this right or just go to a single payer system and if the wealthy want private insurance and their own doctors they surely can afford it.

I was hoping the news would be better.