Has your disease made you a better person?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Intrepid, Aug 10, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. survivedit

survivedit New Member

There ya go - see 'trajectory' above :D

2. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Andalusia Andalusia Andalusia

3. June-

June- New Member

I don't need empathy. I need a great diagnostician and no arrogance. When I am sick, I don't have energy to cater to the dr's issues. That's what the dr's coworkers should do.

4. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

No, i am who i am, sick or not. i think we just deal with it differently.

5. Steffrz

Steffrz New Member

BEFORE: I was a work-a-holic, feeling forced to work because my husband is a realtor and times are tough (and I had the health insurance), didn't make much time for family because I was busy working, not taking care of myself (skipping lunch because I was too busy to eat, getting 4-5 hours of sleep so I could head into work early), allowing my bosses to stress me out more than I've ever been at any job................................until 4/26/11 and my life changed when I was visited by THE BEAST.

NOW I take care of myself - eat right, go to the gym, go for walks with my husband, make more time for my husband, kids (all adults now) and grand kids, and I sleep (have no choice - boy this MM makes me tired!).

I can't say its made me a BETTER person but it has certainly helped me to assess life and how I should best spend my time. Which is good for me and my family.
    And I quit that stressful job.

Life is too short.
    Go live it.

6. Funshine

Funshine New Member

In a word: No. This "disease" per se does not define me one way or another.
    I did find the topic of empathy to be somewhat compelling. In my opinion we are hardwired for traits/characteristics which further our survival. I believe that empathy, though subjective, is still based on what one objectively interprets, believes, or judges to be another's feelings. As such I do not believe that empathy can be tested or sustained in a situation when ones own survival is at risk.

7. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

It's sort of hard to improve on perfection.

8. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Let me count the ways... :p

9. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I find the subject of empathy compelling as well. Not just how it manifests itself but why and why not.

10. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

If you think becoming a parent is profound, (I think it is) wait until you become a grandparent. That puts things to a whole different level.

My disease is for sure not a blessing . It doesn't define me. It has changed me but not for better or worse, just different. I was always a strong person, mentally so that has helped me with this crap, but it was always there.

I have been accused several times of being too empathic long before I ever got sick.

I guess I'm weird. Tough as nails most of the time but too empathic to suit some people. Hmmmmm.

11. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I can live with many health issues and still have a life with friends and family who are empathetic towards me and will help me in any way they can. Even if they don't truly understand just what I go through, they trust that I am going through it. I used to be able to do it all myself - now that I need help with some things - there's so much love and help out there for me that I never recognized before. I'm grateful to have learned what I do have in my present life. I don't ask for much - I'd hate to overstay my welcome, so to speak. ;)

12. Brook76

Brook76 New Member

I have always felt that I would not be the person I am today if I had not had Meniere's disease my entire life. This is my norm and I have never known anything different. I feel that I am more accepting and appreciative of what I have than others. Also, though at times my world seems horrible, I know that I am lucky to have the good days and there are people out there who have it much worse than I. At least after an attack I know I will have some good time to go out and enjoy life..be normal. There are other conditions out there that would never give you such relief.

13. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

"Re: Has your disease made you a better person?"

No, it's made me a cranky bastard.

14. June-

June- New Member

Life has made me a better person. It's been one factor in my life experience. I'd just as soon not had it.

15. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

:D :D :D

Trust you to tell it like it is!

16. Alex

Alex New Member

I'd say it's made me a better person, and a bit wiser to boot. I certainly have a lot more sympathy for people with chronic conditions, plus I'm a bit more philosophical about my own life and place in the Universe, etc.

A much tougher question would be - was it worth having Meniere's to learn that? haha, that one i've got no idea about.

17. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

[quote author=Alex
    A much tougher question would be - was it worth having Meniere's to learn that? haha, that one i've got no idea about.
    [/quote] That's an excellent question, my answer....with age comes wisdom no one needs to have meniere's to learn this, they just need time. ;)

18. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Fantastic, Alex :D

19. daBronx

daBronx New Member

I'm about the same although there was a period of time when I was living in Mission Viejo,a friend of my wife whenever she would see me and we would talk she always used to laugh at me because I couldn't understand what she was saying.That annoyed me terribly.
    P.S.I'm single sided deaf and have sensorineural hearing loss.

20. Michael

Michael New Member

Hmmmm. I think Zen and Judo made me a better person and the skills I learned there made MM easier to take.