Has anyone been on Neurontin (Gabapentin)?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by feelbizarre, Oct 11, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

For those of you who have MAV or chronic neck pain, has anyone been on Neurontin? If so, what positive or negative experiences did you have?

My experience, so far, has been improvement in my gait and the oscillopsia and nystagmus have been reduced. So overall better balance functioning, The tinnitus has diminished too. The negative effects are cognitive issues ranging from word finding difficulties, problems remembering things, and I feel depressed.

I titrated up from 300mg. a day to 1200 mg. now. Went slowly because there were other side effects associated with increasing the dosages that would dissipate over time.

Just want to know others experiences. Thanks.

2. lizzyD

lizzyD New Member

I am on a similar drug to Neurontin and have been taking it for around 3/4 years now. However, my dosage has been kept low at 200mg and 300mg when things seem to be escalating. It has kept my Meniere's attacks away although I can tell when the spinning would otherwise be there. My disease has been very active this summer and I have had loud tinnitus, more deafness and pressure but no spinning attacks. I have had a few wobbly days but I am thankful it is never any worse than that. In comparison to my previous experience, it is a breeze. It doesn't interfere too much with my life. Your dose is much higher than mine so I'm not surprised you experience these side effects,

Liz

3. FreshFaith

FreshFaith Ride to live. Live to ride.

hey Joanne.. look, i'm following you again.. teeheehee...but in answer to your REAL question..yes, i had a former neuro-oto prescribe it for me along with a host of other meds... i'm glad its worked out for you so well...i found i didnt like it.. i couldnt get over being sooooo sleepy... but then i also got "better" too... and now only take the maxzide daily and valium for attacks... which, would be today...anybody got a valium on 'em? i need one...left mine at home...

becks

4. sparrow

sparrow Guest

When I had my first flare up in 1996 I went up to 1200 mg of neurontin. I wasn't happy with the effect of neurontin and it didn't help me at all, just made me feel like I had a double very dry martini all the time.

Sparrow

5. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I feel like that already, heheheh.

I am on 80 mg of verapamil, which makes me constipated and doesn't seem to do squat else since I have gotten much worse while on it (since second week of August).

6. sparrow

sparrow Guest

My neurologist wants me on Tegretol as she believes this will be the end-all of my dizziness. Just her saying that has set my teeth on edge, how the heck does she know that??? Does she have a crystal ball? Well, that was 7 weeks ago and I can't bring myself to open the bottle and go on yet another medication. I don't want to feel any worse than I already feel. I am already on 14 medications, most of them for my asthma.

Thornapple ~ As far as your constipation... I take Colace. It's an over the counter stool softener and it works for me. Also, I eat an apple before I go to bed, that's full of fiber too. Watch out for hemroids !!! Okay, I will stop there, LOL.

Sparrow

7. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

My father inlaw is on it and when he upped the dose he said he was very emotional. Hes in lala land when he first takes it. They had to drop the dose again. I notice he slept more and his balance wasn't as good.

8. lizzyD

lizzyD New Member

Sparrow,

The medication I was on first of all was Tegretol. I was given it for my shingles pain initially and it very unexpectedly stopped my very frequent severe, lengthy vertigo attacks at the same time. It also lessened my tinnitus and I could actually hear better. It transformed my life which had been miserable in the previous 6 months becuase of attacks 2/3 times a week lasting between 12 and 18 hours. I developed an allergy to the Tegretol after 3 months and had large urticaria all over and had to discontinue it. The current medication keeps the attacks away but doesn't have that very beneficial effect the Tegretol had on the other symptoms. I was on 200mg twice daily. Hope this makes you think about having a try. I understand how you feel, but it might just be the thing that will work.

Liz

9. Brian B

Brian B New Member

Yes, I have tried that medication and took myself off of it in less than 3 months. I was having major problems waking up, depression, cognitive abilities, and a constant headache the whole time I took it. All of my MM type symptoms went away though.

I am currently taking depakote with tolerable side effects.