Halloween

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by barnyardbird, Oct 20, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

Evangelical minister says Halloween candy is demonic
    http://www.examiner.com/atheism-in-los-angeles/evangelical-minister-says-halloween-candy-is-demonic?cid=examiner-email

2. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Sounds like they are pretty uptight to me, and I have always celebrated Halloween and have never once felt the need to do anything demonic.

3. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

Halloween has long been my favorite holiday. It's the only day of the year where otherwise normal women decide to put on lingerie, high heels and a pair of cat ears, and claim that they're dressed like a cat.

4. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

LOL

5. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Maybe that evangelical chef, Jamie Oliver, can get the message out that candy is demonic as it contributes to childhood obesity...

6. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

Oh good grief! I guess I am demonic too, because I love Halloween and Halloween candy. ::)

7. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

I love candy any day of the week so what does that make me? And I do love Halloween.

8. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Growing up, things were tight financially in our neighborhood. Still, somehow most parents were able to get new costumes for their kids each Halloween. But each year, at least for a few, my buddy Mike, would come dressed out in a cat costume. But to get around it, and keep up with the Joneses, his mom would tell him he was something different each year. Like I said, things were tight.

Anyway, after about the third year of being a cat, I remember saying to Mike, "Cat again, eh?" To which he responded that he was not a cat, but a devil. I said, "Mike, your a cat!". I could not convince Mike that he was a cat.

So the moral of the story is that he or she who has the moral authority, owns the truth. In this case, Mike's mom told him what he believed. He trusted her. So he was a devil. Coincidentally, that was the last year he wore the cat suit.

9. Titus

Titus New Member

[​IMG]

Trick or Treat? MEOW.

10. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Wow, what an interesting looking cat.

What breed is it?

11. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Or, sometimes candy is just candy ;)

12. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

My parents were both very religious growing up but they still let us just be.........kids, and enjoy the fun of being a kid wether that was Halloween & trick or treating or going to a scary movie and eating a ton of popcorn.

13. Titus

Titus New Member

She's a Cornish Rex. They don't have a top coat and they feel like velvet. They originated as a natural mutation in a barn cat born in Cornwall, England, in 1950. They can actually get a sunburn and they get cold easily so they're indoor cats. Her name is Elizabeth Barrett Browning....Lizzy for short.

14. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Thanks Kim. She's beautiful and has a interesting history.

Does she belong to you?

15. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Maybe we could pick on the 'horrors' of other celebrated holidays, hmm? As for handing out candy, I don't do it because I have two pitbulls (bad reputation) that would scare the heck out of the kids although they'd only be trying to lick them to say 'hello'! Besides that, the parents probably steer clear of the 'old scarey lady's house'.

I also agree with Intrepid, we all wear our masks every day of the year...I like candy and it's cheaper around halloween!

Oh, if I remember correctly, Halloween isn't the only day those bad people celebrate their devils.

16. Titus

Titus New Member

Yes, she'll be three in December and I've had her since she was a tiny kitten.

17. June-

June- New Member

Halloween is a holiday on which the creative people rule. I was always a bit jealous of the inventive kids and moms.

Also my mother handed out healthy snacks, mini boxes of raisins and apples, which embarrassed me no end. It's not my favorite holiday.

18. June-

June- New Member

Does that mean no treats? Where i live you just turn off your porch light and no one comes to your door.

19. June-

June- New Member

I have never heard about that around here. The main issue here is what day, what time each little municipality designates for trick or treat. My township is old fashioned and does it on the 31st, 5 to 7. When I worked it was a pain because it meant I had to get home from work early, then hold dinner til 7 even though no kids usually came. We are a long walk from the main drag. Then there are the safety issues, kids taking candy from strangers and tripping on their costumes and so forth. It's not the carefree little mob of unsupervised urchins it was when I was a kid.

20. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

one of the many churches I attended (this one for several years when my kids were young) had relatively benign objections to it, so they held their own celebration for kids--many churches here in the Bible Belt do that--I don't choose to debate them or anybody about it

however, when I was a kid (late 50s, early 60s), I lived in places like St Louis, Columbus, Ohio, suburban Washington DC, and we always went trick or treating--everybody did--6 or 7 year olds going to 30 or 40 houses in a two block radius of where they lived, with NO adults--adults would have really been a bummer--by the time we were 8 or 9, we were veturing out more like a mile--parents didn't freak out or worry about razor blades in apples or LSD tainted candy--we had great fun and I don't recall any unfortunate events--I don't think it is merely a sign of aging that causes me to believe we were a less paranoid country then--but, racism and sexism were rampant, survival rates for cancer were grim, and we didn't have computers or other fun stuff--guess I gotta take the bad with the good--bye bye carefree Halloween! hello brave(?) new world