good source of info, especially for newbies

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by tucker, Mar 5, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. CE

CE New Member

Hello,

I was officially dx 2 weeks ago! UGH!! Had the flu at the same time and was an awful 2 weeks. How feeling better but when I try to lay down to rest/sleep I get dizzy! Any suggestions????? I want an MRI but know that I can don lay down for it. I am drinking tons of water, and very LOW sodium but still get dizzy when I lay down. Is this my life!!!!!????

Cindy

2. Lorian

Lorian New Member

I do recall when I first heard of Meuniere's that it could be caused by the use of aspirin. When i went to my doc the other day (the first time this dx was mentioned by any of my docs), he mentioned the connection as well. And you can also look it up on wikipedia or probably any of the md websites, such as webmd, etc. I hope this helps.

3. Doug

Doug New Member

Hi all... I have had menieres in my left ear for 25 years....I had the shunt surgery done 20 years ago...It did well and just had few problems other than the progressive hearing loss over the years untill 2 years ago....This time it came back with a vegence.... The attacks would last 1 to 4 hrs...I would be very sick and had no control over my eye movments.... Went back to the doctor and he did a shot of getamycin in my ear... this made things worse for 5 to 6 weeks and then started to settle down but I had this off balance feeling all the time...I guess I have to live with this...Know I have been having ringing in my right ear and am very worried that im getting memieres in my right ear...Also would like to ask why my left ear is wet all the time..Is this normal...Thanks for listing..Doug

4. bbuchanan358

bbuchanan358 New Member

hello all im a newbie here i have been suffering with vertigo for 4 years i just found out that i had menieres disease its a blow to my ego and im still learning alot from it

5. lilttleme2

lilttleme2 New Member

I am also a newbie and only came across this site as I searched for more information on "vertigo". My "vertigo" started in 2001, very suddenly. My first episode was a heavy pressure on the top of my head, then light headedness, then nausea and then the utmost need to sleep. All this happened within just a few minutes. I was driving at the time, had the sense to pull over, locked the doors and slept for 4 hours. When I woke up, I felt fine. I put the episode down as having spent too much time on the computer, editing motorsport pictures. These episodes kept occurring with what seemed to be no rhyme or reason. I practically lived on motion sickness pills. I was sent to a neurologist, had an MRI, which showed a very tiny tumor (2mm). The doctor didn't think there was any relationship and I was given no explanation or help. I went back to my primary care doctor and when she saw the report, reviewed my symptoms, her nonchalant response was "you have vertigo". Little did I know that vertigo is simply a symptom...not a disease. Not much help was offered. For a while, the attacks were sporadic. I could go weeks without one and then suddenly I would have 2-3 attacks in that many days. During the attacks, I almost wished I could die. The lightheadedness, nausea, pressure on my head was almost more than I could endure. This past summer, I was living and working in Canada, which meant I had no health insurance. There was a lot of stress involved and the attacks were hitting me several times a week with a bit of relief here and there. Upon my return to the States, I went immediately to my doctor (a new one as I am now living in Texas). The first question she asked was "are you under stress?" A new MRI didn't show any change in the tumor, my hearing loss in the right ear had worsened (almost deaf in the right ear, can't hear very well out of the left!!!) I have constantly told my ENT doctor that it felt like cotton had been stuffed in my right ear. After being home for awhile, I was free of attacks, until I got stressed out over some home renovations going on and then the attacks started all over again. It was at this point that I started doing more research on "vertigo" and was pointed in the direction of Menieres disease. The description
    of the symptoms fit 100%. I notice that "bbuchanan" has only recently been diagnosed after 4 years...Is Meniere's really that hard to diagnose? I am waiting for a call back from my ENT doctor as I want to know, if in his opinion, this is Meniere's. If it's not, then what is it??? Does this sound at all familiar to any of you?
    BTW, bubuchanan, why is it a blow to your ego? It was a huge relief to me to think that maybe I had found a name for all this nastiness! You are no less a person because of it.

6. Wobblyjess

Wobblyjess New Member

!!!! If this is true, it's rather alarming that my ENT told me to take a baby aspirin every day after diagnosing me with MM. Then again, since I wasn't taking it before (I usually take ibuprofen or acetaminophen for aches and pains, if anything), it's sort of impossible that it caused my symptoms. Still, a little disconcerting.