good source of info, especially for newbies

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by tucker, Mar 5, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

2. annegina

annegina New Member

Danny-

Thank you so much!! I'm not a newbie and I havent seen this site before. Very interesting!

3. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

As expert as this site might be, it misses a number of promising MM developments, particularly the involvement of both herpes viruses and allgergies as causative agents. The site has a 2004 date, so it's a bit out of date. And it's posted by a physician, who may not be aware of (or support) new MM therapies.

The Meniett device is mentioned, as it should be. But there is very strong data from Japan that the control of herpes viruses with acyclovir (or other antiherpetic drugs) can significantly or completely reduce MM symptoms. The involvement of wheat and other food alllergies as a MM factor has been described on this board in detail by several posters.

Of course, there is no mention of my MM regimen (http://www.menieresfoundation.org/johnsregimen.htm) and the very frequently effective use of lemon bioflavonoids, vinpocetine, Vertigoheel, and other agents in the regimen against MM symptoms.

And of course, there has just recently been a lengthy discourse on this board of a chiropractic approach to MM.

Except for therapists restricted to older medical textbook approaches, it's not just salt restriction, diuretics, sedatives, and the Meniett anymore.

--John of Ohio

4. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

John

you are right, but it is a good basic page of info to start with, especially when you just been dx. I like the part where they list what to do when having a rotational attack.

5. thornapple

thornapple New Member

A labyrinthectomy is done by this doctor as an outpatient procedure? ARGH! That is what it says on that website. Can you imagine having something that serious done as an outpatient? Go home in X hours whirling and puking and in pain? I would not want to be a patient of his.

the more of this stuff I read, the more I want to pick doctors very carefully.

6. KareBare

KareBare New Member

I had not heard about the Danish scientists, anybody know what became of the research? Good site though for a starting point.

Karen

7. Deb S

Deb S New Member

Thanks for posting the article. This one is good to pass along to loved ones of MM suffers since it is easy to read, and to the point.

8. Seatlegirl

Seatlegirl New Member

Dr. Gates, the author of the paper, is one of the leading Meniere's Researchers in the world. He's not my physician, but I've read quite a bit about him as he practices in Seattle, where I live. He had a piece published in a local health journal last year, which I found on his clinics website. It might be more current than the piece listed here, but I felt it was excellent. Thanks for posting.

9. cheese

cheese New Member

Good one tucker. I like pages like this that leave you with a sense of optimism. Rather than the ones that make you just go "I'm farked"

Karebare - Here's some more info on saccin and glycoprotein if you'd like to read it. This entire article is actually excellent and well worth a read.

http://gmtv.medicdirect.co.uk/clinics/default.asp?step=4&pid=12
    "Most recently, a disorder of the endolymphatic duct has been reported where it seems to become obstructed. The endolymphatic duct is probably important in the maintenance of inner ear fluids in terms of both their volume and pressure. The endolymphatic duct and sac produce two chemicals that have roles to play in this system. The first are glycoproteins which are hydrophilic, which means they attract water. The second is a substance known as saccin, which appears to have a positive effect upon the inner ear in producing endolymph. If an obstruction occurs within the endolymphatic duct, perhaps due to virus particles or protein accumulation, an increase in saccin and glycoprotein production may arise. Glycoproteins produce a pulling effect upon the obstruction and saccin, by means of increased endolymph production, produce a pushing .action. These two forces combine to move the obstruction which results in a sudden change in endolymphatic pressure. This may well result in the sudden onset of vertigo, tinnitus and hearing loss which then settles as the pressure in the endolymph subsequently reduces."

more on glycoprotein from an Aussie doctor.

"But the most fascinating discovery has been the intermittent presence of glycoprotein within the ELS. Glycoprotein is an intensely hydrophilic substance and it can 'suck out' the content of cells but the cells of the ELS have an ability to withstand this substance. The secretion of glycoprotein by the ELS seems to be related to longitudinal flow and may only be needed on special occasions when the endolymph volume needs adjustment. It's not known what triggers the secretion of glycoprotein but naturopeptides have been identified in the cochlea and pressure receptors are seen on the intrinsic surface of the round window membrane. In animals with experimentally induced ELH, 'dark cells' proliferate in the stria vascularis. Whether these cells actually produce endolymph or whether these cells are trying to remove the excess endolymph is unknown."

10. cheese

cheese New Member

Actually, can I just endorse this link again http://gmtv.medicdirect.co.uk/clinics/default.asp?step=4&pid=12

It's also a great source for information if anyone is keen. And like tuckers link, it leaves you with optimism rather than gloom

11. Adri_onboard

Adri_onboard New Member

good information for all off us

we should keep it bumped

12. noumena

noumena New Member

Hello everyone,I am noumena from the uk,have been experiencing dizzy spells for years,plus ringing in the ears,and deafness in one ear,consultant has just told me this week that I have menieres disease,I work in nursing in England,and find it very difficult at times to do my job,because of the dizzy feelings i get,these are getting worse,wonder if I can keep my
    job,worrying times these are.
    regards noumena

13. sonic

sonic New Member

noumena...could you tell me how long a typical dizzy spell lasts for you? & did you ever get a hearing test for the ear you have problems with? I am trying to get a diagnoises myself...so just curious~~
    good luck 2 you~
    sonic

14. Bjoyce

Bjoyce New Member

I am a newbie here.... not to Meniere's though, I was diagnosed in 93. I am wondering because of a recent event that I went through if anyone has ever heard of an association of Meniere's and asprin products. Not that you should not take them but that they may be the cause of it?

15. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Hello and welcome!

I haven't read about it, but I don't think it's the cause. Cause and cure are unknown.

16. DizzAJ

DizzAJ New Member

Overload! ;) :D ;D

But, each site if worth a read.

Thanks

17. Joe V

Joe V New Member

Hello,

I'm a newbie. I was diagnosed this past June/July so I have not had the experience that most of you have had nor do I want to. My doctor put me on a low salt diet and a salt reducing pill (Triam/HCTZ). My hearing got better and then he decided to take me off the pill. Now, this past week I have has full blown trip down vertigo lane and spent some time talking to his majasty the porcelain god. Not a very nice night as most of you know. I had another attack yesterday while officiating a volleyball match. I am still very active and also officiate basketball and baseball at the high school level. What do I tell my doctor? Any suggestions?

18. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Welcome, Joe!

You will get more responses if you make your own post in the Living Room.

19. baby04

baby04 New Member

Hello I am 26 and i have just been diagnosed with mineres disease.I have been fighting with this for about 13 years i went to doctor after doctor trying to find out what was going on with me.This past year i was diagnosed.I constantley have ringing in the ears really high pitched noises,dizzyness,vomiting headaches really bad vertigo where at times i cant stand without falling,And i my eyes start twitching when i have my spells.At times i get really sleepy and almost worn out after haveing a bat of spells.I have had a hearing test done and on my right ear it was a 30 on my left ear it was a 35.Right now i am on a diuretic and a potassium pill.My doctor keeps bringing up to me about the procedure where they use the needle in the ear drum.I am very scared of this procedure,But I need some relief.i have 4 small kids and my husband is over seas working.It makes it impossible to do normal things that we all take for granted.

20. salgal

salgal New Member

Hello
    Wow!! I can relate with both of you. I have always been healthy and very active. I love to run, bike and work out with weights. I work as a surgical tech, and have always had a very fast paced work life. Aug 31st I woke up with all the spinning room, vomiting, no balance, etc. I went to the ER was diagnosed with BPPV. I slept for 3 days and nights after my 1st attack partly because of the drugs partly because of the experience. 2 months later I have had one other big attack and now seem to be off balanced, groggy, not myself. I had formal hearing and balance testing which revealed that I have Meniere's. My life as I know it seems to be turned upside down. I have had to miss work, at work Im not my best which is a place that requires good attention skills, good hand/eye skills, etc,etc..
    I have started on medication , strict diet restriction, time off of work, limited exercise. I have only been doing this for 3 days and I actually feel worse. I guess I was hoping for a little improvement. I plan on investigating on alternative treatments. I have to try to be positive and know that I will find something that will help.