Going Deaf

Discussion in 'Your Writer's Den' started by Linda1002, Aug 24, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

I'm sure there is a difference in the culture.

I'm DEAF with my hearing aids out, and HEARING IMPAIRED with them in, so I understand the difference. But I still live in a hearing culture, so my perceptions would differ from the deaf.

My original statement was a feeling expressed in the Writer's Den based on my personal experience. I wasn't looking for additional information, just "writing" as others do in this room.

2. ToniG

ToniG Guest

I was sharing from the Canine Companion for Independence calendar.

3. Titus

Titus New Member

Linda, I so wish my mom could have met you. She had mm and was deaf without her hearing aids and impaired with them. She lived in another world (she was bi-polar, also) and had so much to offer but had no confidence because of her disabilities. She also had to suffer the ridicule of my alcoholic father who needled her for not being able to hear and that she mispronounced words. Now I understand the genetic component my dad's problem, too. I wish they were here so I could help them cope with their afflictions.

I think as we grow older and mature, we find a deeper understanding of the differences that polarize us and the similarities that draw us together.

4. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Thank you, Kim. You are so wise!

5. magpiejen

magpiejen Where's the mute button? I think mine's stuck "on"

AMEN.

I hate it if, when people ask if I can hear them and I say "yes" and their immediate response is "huh?"

I know its people trying to be cute, but come on--let's not pick on someone else's reality. You don't walk up to a person in a wheelchair and ask if they are really not able to walk, nor do you throw something out in front of a person walking with a white cane to see if they will fall over it. Why pick on people who can't hear? Don't they know its hard enough as it is???

6. lillyrose

lillyrose Life is short live it not diet.

My 4 year old grandson said it best when he said to his grandpa " Papa, nana didn't here you ...remember her ears are broken."...out of the mouths of babes.

7. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

8. Cara

Cara New Member

On the days I can't hear I fight back tears all day..........its exhausting........but I will not stop.

9. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Cara - "Find grace in the things you cannot change" certainly fits!

10. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

cara~~ hugs/prayers

11. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

Most 'hearing' and 'healing' is done in silence.