God, I know you're there

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Center' started by hollymm, Sep 30, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

God I know you are there----comfort all those in need of comfort tonight.

2. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

God, I know you're here.

3. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

Yes He is - isn't He?

4. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Yes, he is. They all are.

God, I know you're there.

:)

5. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

gina - when you say 'they' you are speaking of the Trinity right? Father, Son and Holy Spirit?

In Protestant terms we use God interchangeably. Meaning, God is God but also Jesus and/or Holy Spirit. Even though a separate Being and yet the same.

I don't know if you saw this? I am just curious. I have a lot of Catholic friends and most believe in the Trinity as I do. But when you say Gods are you meaning the Trinity or other gods that people worship? If this makes you uncomfortable answer me in a PM.

6. Michael

Michael New Member

Please note Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5 (the language in both passages is almost identical) -

"I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

It doesn't say that aren't other G-ds. In fact, it implies that there are. What it says that to be members of that particular tribe and faith you don't them worship in place of this G-d.

7. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Michael, I went on the internet and put my search in for Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5. It was all over the place. I don't think anyone said the exact same thing. It did list the usual thou shall not kill, covet, lie etc.. but the words you posted are obviously missing from all of the texts. They all leave out the , "which...house of bondage". Where would I find that? It's extremely interesting to me that this would be a huge part of the ten commandants and yet left out of so much of the verbiage that I found on the net.

It seems that the people who have transcribed the bible have left out some very important information. Why should it matter how many gods there are if we are to worship Him before all others?

8. Michael

Michael New Member

There's a couple of interesting points there. This was written in Hebrew and in a form of Hebrew that's very different from spoken Hebrew today. Translation of the OT is extremely difficult. A lot things were left out on purpose. A lot of things were written in later and it isn't easy to find in English. In English translation, things look a lot more coherent. On top of that, the OT was peiced together from writings that spanned around 3,000 years. The names used for G-d, even the gender of those changes throughout. So whaty exactly are you saying when you say there's one G-d.

Why should it matter ? I have no idea. That's something we each need to figure out for ourselves.

9. Michael

Michael New Member

To answer your question, I was quoting from the 1769 King James Version

10. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

As I said before I am no Theologian nor great at Bible verse but am familiar with the verse you speak of Michael. :)

I am a New Testament Christian. I believe that there is a God creator of all universe. He sent His son Jesus (through the virgin Mary and conceived by the Holy Spirit) who came and lived as man until He was crucified. That during His life time He took upon our sins and become our sacrifice - He also gave us new covenants to live by and fulfilled the prophecy of the Old Testament. When He died and went to God - the Father, God The Father sent or gave us The Holy Spirit to live within us - those that believe in Him and ask for this to happen. (thus the Trinity - Father, Son-Jesus, and Holy Spirit - Three different Beings but one Being God). The three in one belief.

The reason why I ask Gina, is because there are many false gods in this world.

I know the Islamic faith and Jewish religion belief differently and I respect this. I ask Gina this question because I was curious as to the Catholic view and Protestant view - in similarity?

Not to debate as this is not a debate forum - just a mere question. :)

edited for grammar - even still needs more but too tired

11. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

There are many times god appears and there are many gods in this world but I believe there is only one true God but a complex Trinity of God the Father, Jesus the Son, and The Holy Spirit. Three in one - all being God.

Reader's digest version. Edited for that.

12. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

That is so true. You are inspirational.

God, I know you're there.

13. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Michael I apologize profusely. I read your entry wrong. I read 'thee' as 'three'. I feel so stupid right about now... I completely misinterpreted what you wrote.

But, the point still stands about how differently the same belief is written. Like you said, a lot of things were left out on purpose. Which may or may not change the meaning. I don't go by the literal written word of the bible because of that (although I can not deny the good words found there as in other writings also). A group of people decided what should and should not go into the writings of the bible. Do you believe that? I know I ask a lot of questions but I have my own beliefs through life experience and what knowledge my higher power, God, has given me in my heart. I also know that you have much knowledge about not only the bible but of other religions as well.

As to why it should matter about how many gods there are, I agree that it is something we each must answer for ourselves.

I hope it's not offensive that I call my higher power God.

14. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I don't find it offensive, holli, I agree.

I like the term, "higher power!"

15. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Thanks Gina :)

16. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Your welcome, holly!

17. Michael

Michael New Member

yes I believe that. People decided numerous times over several thousand years what went in the Bible. Both testaments. Out a few hundred versions of the Gospels, the Roman authorities settled on 4. The of Job was added late in the game and has a vision of theology radically different from anything else. There are folk tales from pre-Jewish sources. Why is anybody's guess, we have changed a lot since this all written down. Theology, language, politics have all changed. So what does this mean to the history of religion? What's the difference between belief, knowledge and faith. We each get to figure that out.

18. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

I guess Michael for me Belief, Knowledge and Faith - I give to God. Meaning that everything you say is true about the Bible but I believe my God - the God of the Old and New Testament fills my head and heart with the knowledge I need to understand my faith and to believe in Him through the Bible and although scholars and men argue over the Bible - that with God's divine wisdom that I will get the knowledge to increase my faith and love in God and make my belief in Him stronger. :) Simple - I am simple I know. :)

19. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Dear God-- in a world gone mad and completely out of control I know you are still there for me.

20. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Amen.