Gent injections

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by LisaB, Sep 27, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I have had menieres for 12+ years, and have had 2 sac surgeries with good but not permanent results. My doc says he thinks it's time for somthing more serious. I have great results with the meniette, but lately have been having more dizzies. No spinning or nausea, though, which I did used to have. I 'd love to get a job, but am afraid because of this. I am considering gent injections, and would like to hear from people who've had them. I've read about lots of good results........I'd love to hear any results. Thanks for any help. I mostly do well, but am tired of feeling I can't get a job in case I get dizzy at it. My girls are getting older and not getting out regularly is going to be harder. Thanks, Lisa

2. supplyman1240

supplyman1240 New Member

I would be interested too as I have only had one sac, but they are suggesting this be done to me too. I think I would be better with the sac again.

3. BostonPat

BostonPat New Member

Hi Lisa,

Welcome! Although I'm listed as a newbie I've been here for a while and couldn't get on under my old name.
    I had one gent injection in July of 2005 and it was successful. I was dealing with severe vertigo every week and a half or so, and it was taking its toll on my life. My doctor would only give me the one shot because he said it may only take one...and he was right. I know there are many people out there who didn't have a good experience, but I wanted to relay my good one to you. Best of luck. If you have any questions please ask.

Pat

4. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Thanks, Pat, very much! Lisa

5. dizzychick

dizzychick New Member

What are these injections? I'm so desperate to try anything, that I would be interested as to what this is? My doctor has never mentioned this, maybe it's because he still does not know how to treat me! Thanks for the input ::)

6. LisaB

LisaB New Member

These are one or more injections they inject into your middle? ear with the chemical gentimicin to kill your nerve cells in your ear that cause vertigo. For many this has relieved their symptoms a lot or completely. For some it doesn't work. You can do a search on the internet under gentimicin/menieres to read more about it. Since it is a destructive surgery, it is usually considered as a more last-option treatment. It can also cause permanent hearing loss and imbalance for some, so if your hearing is good your doc probably won't even consider it. Lisa

7. LisaB

LisaB New Member

"Videos on vestibular topics" in below post explains it very well. Lisa

8. supplyman1240

supplyman1240 New Member

My doctor wants to do that now. I can not find the same doctor that did the surgery the last time that done the shunts. I really think that I will do better with the shunts and not the injections. I would have to research the injections more. I still have some hearing in the ear and would like to keep it if possible.

9. LisaB

LisaB New Member

My own personal experience was that I was so happy I tried the meniette before doing gent injections. They cause no harm, and can only help, although some are not helped by it. But there is a free trial period so there is nothing to lose. It helps me so much, I can really tell, and I was not a believer before. Good luck, Lisa (Lately I've been feeling sicker but the doc seems to think it's from blocked tubes, so the meniette can't work. I am having a better tube put in my ear 10/26)