For those who read the Bible, I have a ??

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by leviticus, Nov 7, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

What is your favorite Version? I prefer the King James, but I need a new modern translation for the young new believers.
    Currently read the New Living Translation, just wondering what everyone else is reading??

2. June-

June- New Member

I like the King James but I am very old. :D

3. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Ditto

4. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

I know I am a heathen agnostic, but I have a preference for sure--the Oxford annotated. I really like all the footnotes (which I can only read now with both my contacts and reading glasses). For the years we took our children to church, as the minister was quoting and referencing different passages, I would compare mine to my wife's New International Version, and found very interesting differences--mostly just a word or two in a verse, but if I had not been listening to what the pastor was saying at the same time, I could have come away with different meanings from the same passage based on the two different texts.

I think I prefer the Oxford because the verses, although often bordering on the poetic, are not easy for me. The copious footnotes were always very helpful.

5. June-

June- New Member

I remember the Revised Standard when I was a child a million years ago. It was supposed to be modern but I didn't understand a word of it. Then when the New English came out, I was shocked that it just blah blahed away putting scripture in every day language. I somehow liked the vintage language of the King James because if you heard the thees and thous you knew the Bible was being quoted. If you heard the New English it could be anyone.

As a child, my grandmother had a New Testament with red letters for Jesus' words. I didn't like it at the time for some inexplicable reason. I was kind of an old testament child. But now I like to differentiate between Jesus words and say the Acts of the Apostles. I don't put equal weight in the rest of the New Testament that I do in Jesus words. That is where I find the good stuff.

No offense intended to anyone who sees it differently.

6. Jazza

Jazza Saved by Grace Thru Christ Jesus

NIV which was bought for me to replace my Revised Standard version(RSV). I agree the RSV that I had 30 years ago was in ye olde English and hard to get my head around. The NIV is much easier to understand.

I haven't found any of the modern translations are as good as some of the Versions we have had for a while now. KJV, NIV and American Standard. All these are very good translations. I believe there is a New Revised Standard Version.

Give them a bit of a read before you buy and get one you find most comfortable for you.

7. charlesj

charlesj New Member

I also like the NIV. The Good News Bible is also good.

8. GreatfulTed

GreatfulTed New Member

We use the English Standard Version. We spend a lot of time with the youth and young couples (keeps us young and on my toes) and they seem to like this version. It is easy for them to read and they seem to like it.
    I have found nothing that I disagree with in its translation. Alot of the kids coming out of seminary are also using it.

9. rev

rev New Member

I read multiple versions and struggle through the Greek on occasion, but I like Jazz's answer for most of us.

10. rev

rev New Member

Forgot to add the "Amplified" bible - no pun intended since many of us have hearing difficulties. It is exceptional in aiding understanding.

11. June-

June- New Member

I have to admit that some of my affection for the King James has to do with the fact that all the verses I learned as a child were from the King James. When I hear the same verses from more modern versions it takes me a while to catch on. And to my ear there is a poetry to the King James. I think part of the reading of scriptures is a letting go and getting in touch with a right brain understanding of the world and that is conducive to it for me.

Once again, no arguement intended for those who wouldn't see it this way.

12. joy

joy New Member

Dad reads the King James faithfully (literally as well as figuratively) & always will. I've had King James from early grade school, then a Revised Standard, then got a Living Bible for 8th grade graduation. I like the Living Bible best ... however I do also have an NIV which seems pretty cool. If I were a theologian my opinion would probably be more valid - I don't know how any of these stand up to the 'original texts'. If I come across a verse/chapter I don't completely understand, I'll compare the Living with the NIV with the King James ... & if I still don't understand, I ask the preacher.

If I were buying a bible for a 'young' person or new believer, I'd probably stick with the NIV.

13. tm53

tm53 New Member

NIV Study Bible.

I started with the King James version but got bogged down, then again, I didn't start reading the bible until about 10 years ago.

14. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

I have the NIV and really like it.

15. Jazza

Jazza Saved by Grace Thru Christ Jesus

Rev I forgot about the Amplified also as my hubby mainly reads it and it's not one of mine. I have tried it and I love how it expands the meaning of some words in brackets to help you get a better understanding of the scripture you are reading.

:D My hubby bought the Amplified because it was the only big print Bible in the store at the time. So he can read it without his glasses. ;D

16. chill1479

chill1479 New Member

I read both the KJV and the New Living Translation. Since being diagnosed I have been reading on BibleGateway.co. It is too hard for me to focus on the smaller print of my bible. At this website, you can pick whichever version you want to read ~ or read the same verses in different versions to help make things more clear.

17. Titus

Titus New Member

NIV Study Bible....in LARGE print. With Jesus quotes in RED.

I love the King James for Psalms and other poetic books but I find the NIV reads easier, for me.

When I taught Sunday school I used a special NIV translation for kids. It had lots of maps and pictures and made it interesting.

18. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

I use Biblegateway.com all the time, you can look up scriptures quick and easy, and all the translations are there, I am going to read the Bible through using the NLT and see if it grows on me, but I will always keep me a KJV handy..

19. Titus

Titus New Member

I've been using QuickVerse because it has so many translations, commentaries, and other related books. The one thing it lacks is Through the Bible with Vernon M. I miss that.

20. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

Would that be J Vernon McGee you are talking about!!