For those who do pray and still have active vertigo

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Center' started by jim1884again, Nov 11, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

For those who do pray and still have active vertigo, does anybody pray for relief during an attack? Do you ever feel like it helps? I don't mean really stopping the attack although that would be great, but is it comforting to you? Does it calm you might be a better way to ask. Also, do you pray that you won't have an attack at a really inopportune time like walking your daughter down the aisle at her wedding, or when you are giving a speech at work or driving in rush hour traffic (my personal favorite)?

2. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

I have prayed when I am in the grips of an attack Jim. It does comfort me, I don't feel so alone then.

I mostly pray that I don't have an attack in front of anyone. Not that it embarrasses me, but because it is so violent and unsettling to witness that I don't want to subject my family or friends to having to see it. The people I have had an attack in front of say they will never forget it. It makes me sad to think that it had that kind of impact on them.

3. jim1884again

that is very kind of you to worry about the feelings of others who witness it (to me it was always worrying what they would think of me without regard for their feelings)
    thanks for the answer to my question--I hadn't thought about it helping because it made one feel less alone

4. Skye76

Skye76 New Member

Hi Jim,
    I have prayed during attacks, but haven't yet felt that comforting feeling from it. I do think God hears me, but during attacks, I feel very, very alone. I usually end up crying at some point, confused as to why the horror of vertigo exists. It could be my own fear and sickness that keeps me from feeling his comfort.

The hardest times are when I know an attack has been coming-increased ringing, pressure, etc, and I prayed and prayed and prayed that the attack wouldn't come, only to be hit by a vicious assault. Those are the really difficult times.

Mostly, though, I pray for the doctors and researchers. I pray for a cure. I pray for an end to vertigo for all of us. I pray for everyone on this board. There has to be something better for us than the hell of MM.

5. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

When I use to get bad attacks I would pray. It also helped me feel not so alone. I think those were the times I felt it was really just me and God. It would calm the anxiety which helped lessen the attack.

6. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

During the worst of it I would pray for God to take me, I didn't want to live one more minute with daily vertigo so severe I could barely function. Obviously the answer to that prayer was "no". I did not feel any sense of comfort and at times it has caused me to doubt my faith.

7. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Lorrie, I get what your saying. You know I use to be so active in the church when my kids were young and I was well.There came a time when my prayer life suffered after being ill for so long. I am back to just talking more to God here in the past 6 months. I always felt God was there but I also felt he was so far from me. I know I pulled away dispite my knowledge of the bible and how God works.

8. Titus

Titus New Member

Yes, I have prayed and God took the fear from me. He filled my thoughts with scripture and that reminded me that this is temporary. Sometimes it's too hard to even focus on praying.

Jim, I do have a story that relates to prayer and healing. I was dx with a heart arrhythmia years ago. My heart has an extra electrical pathway and sometimes it speeds up.....way up. I've spent many hours in the ER getting it to "convert." One day, I was getting ready to to to a church about two hours away for a special service. My arrhythmia kicked in and I just put my hand over my chest and YELLED the name of Jesus and it went back to normal rhythm. Ever since that happened, when my heart starts to flip out, I can get it under control. I have not been to the ER since and it has been 9 years. Prior to that I went several times a year and sometimes several times a month.

9. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

In the past when I did have frequent active vertigo attacks, I did often pray for relief, something to make them go away, to die and just be done with it. ???

I felt that, often, it was helpful just to know that I did have a higher someone in charge of what was happening, but I also know that rain falls on the good and bad, and that sun shines on everyone, regardless of prayers, and that trials and tribulation will come to everyone, regardless of what we believe. It seemed the disease had a mind of it's own and I often missed important family events, had to help plan for a funeral for my mother after a vicious attack which left me still unable to function the way I wanted to, and it ruined many of my vacations, but I kept going anyhow. Yes, even driving - I prayed just to allow me to get home without an attack and many times had to be driven home from work by my boss and a co-worked (one to drive my car and one to take my driver back to work. ??? ::) :eek:

I will say that looking back that I am glad that many of those prayer requests that I just be taken home and relieved of this, didn't happen. :eek: I'm still here and thankful for that.

I needed to go through the dark tunnel in order to more appreciate the light. I needed the adversity to make me stronger. For what? I don't know what is ahead and don't want to know. I just hope that I will be up to the next challenge. ??? Right now it seems to be excess weight gain and age. ::)

We need opposition in all things, for, without the bitter, we don't know the sweet, without the negatives, we don't know the positives. Without pain and discomfort, we can't more appreciate it when we feel good. Without the trials, there may be no growth.

Eventually, when the attacks went away, I found that I could live with not being able to hear well, I could learn to live with two noisy ears, and I could live with the fullness and the recruitment and all the rest.

Without having this disease, I wouldn't be on this forum and I would have never met some really fabulous people - like yourself, Jim - and all of your have touched my life, have helped me feel better about myself and have enriched my life. For that I thank God. ;) :)

10. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

When my vertigo was active, I prayed for it to stop. It wou,d ease up somewhat. I mainly prayed to be able to keep working and functioning socially. That worked for me.

11. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

Oh my Skye, that sums up what I feel!! I did not know how to express it and then I read that. Thank you! I really don't think I could have put it so well.

Lorrie, I have also felt that way - praying for God to take me and feeling that the answer was "no". However, doubting my faith was not a result of that no and you may think the reason why is ridiculous or ... whatever. I felt that the no was because there is a "lesson" (I don't express myself very well) that I still need to learn or a reason that I am still on this earth. I definately do not appreciate that while in the throws of an attack and can have some very harsh words with God, but I do feel that when the attacks have lessened and I am starting to get better those thoughts come back to me and that's when I feel that there is still something he wants me to do or a lesson he needs me to learn.

Can't say that I like it, but those are my feelings and I guess my relationship with God.

12. DizzyinColorado

DizzyinColorado Formerly known as DizzyInColorado

When I was in the throes of 8+ hour vertigo attacks, I would not only pray but also imagine myself at the foot of the cross with all the thousands or millions of other people who were suffering from one thing or another at the same time. It not only gave me a sense of not being alone, it would also help me to imagine the absolute horrific suffering that Jesus went through on the cross for all of us. Somehow, it made my suffering a bit easier to handle and would calm me down. Another thing that I did at times when I would become panicked during an attack was say Jesus or some other prayerful thing over and over like a mantra. That would calm me, too. Anyway, that is how I managed to get through my attacks. God bless! Dawn

13. cowcollector

cowcollector Don't hug a tree, hug a cow!!

hi jim,

sure have been missing you...

i would always talk, (i call my prayers talk), and thank God that i am not going thru it alone.
    no matter where i am, what i do, who i see, God is always there with me.....
    many times we tend to forget that, just like trying to be quiet and "hear" God speak to me when all i "hear" is my constant tinnitus..... it is a physical manifestation of what most don't understand as a distraction from God....

14. Skye76

Skye76 New Member

Cdedie-I too think there is a lesson to be learned here. Though, at times, I keep thinking, "Ok, haven't I learned enough yet?" :p I hope I can get to the heart of the lesson soon, and that the difficulty of this will end. I want to get better so that I can spend time helping others. Really hard to want to help others, but you feel too crappy to even help yourself. :(

15. cdedie

Oh dear Skye, I most definately would like that lesson to be OVER AND DONE too!!!!! I guess we are always learning. It's just my way of dealing and keeping my faith in my own way as I am not one who is into "organized" religion.

I think by being on this forum and talking to others you are helping others. ;) Maybe not the way you want or think, but so many will gain so much from things that you post evein if you don't know it!!

16. Skye76

Skye76 New Member

Thanks for saying that. I hope you are right. Brought tears to my eyes. :) You're helping people like me as well.

17. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

Prayer has stopped attacks for me many times, God is listening, I have not had an attack since March of this year when I prayed while riding on a boat on the Sea of Galilee, Praise the Lord!!

18. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Jim,

When I was having vertigo, while I would lay there for 12-14 hours, I would indeed talk to God. I asked God to lead me to the cause for my symptoms. But I also asked Him to teach me why I was having these symptoms. I am the kind of person who believes that everything happens for a reason. So I wanted to know the reason this was happening.

Now, I'm no different than anyone else, and I have no better line in to God than you or anyone. But I do believe that my prayers were answered, in both regards. Not many folks get to live with Meniere's symptoms and then walk away from them. So I do believe that my prayers were answered.

Had I never had these symptoms, I would never have been here and I would not know any of you. Furthermore, knowledge of the upper cervical cause of Meniere's symptoms would not be as far as it has gotten. I firmly believe that good things will yet happen in the research and knowledge base of upper cervical Meniere's, and because I had these symptoms for the time I did. Of course, I need to help initiate these events. In my way of thinking, I expect that God wants this knowledge understood. In furthering that cause, I am merely a tool. We are all God's tools in some respect.

Since the onset of Meniere's symptoms, and their successful treatment, I have changed my focus in life. I am much more focused on healing of mind and body, also spiritual healing. So Meniere's was a hinge point in my life. Other events have occurred to change my focus as well. But it all started with Meniere's, and talking with God while under the influence of Meniere's symptoms.

19. jim1884again

So you prayed for wisdom, strength and healing, as opposed to simply immediate relief from suffering. In the end, you were able to make meaning of the suffering. To me, that is what religion has to offer--not an easy path free from pain, but some way to make sense of the pain. I also have often thought that praying is best used for strength and wisdom to endure the suffering, since we know that for many, the suffering does not end. The fact that the healing does not always take place doesn't mean the praying was in vain, only that it wasn't meant to be.

With your testimony, I think you have articulated what many would see the essence of prayer and religion to be.

20. cdedie

Amen!!

What a wonderful experience Vic!!