For Those Interested in Putting Together a Cookbook...

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Aladdin, Aug 12, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

for MRI (Meniere's Resources, Inc) - please respond to this thread. Low salt recipes and such - even gluten free and celiac option recipes welcomed. :)

2. June-

June- New Member

Gee, I don't have a recipe but maybe some tips and sources.

ie

Trader Joe's has a lot of good no sodium spice combinations.

For soups, chilis and stews use low sodium broth - which still has a good bit of sodium - and then don't add any other salt to the stew.

If you need to lose weight, remember that eating half of much of something cuts the sodium in half.

Using dried beans instead of canned reduces sodium to zero, saves money and improves flavor. If time is an issue, canned beans can be rinsed to remove most of the sodium before adding to the dish.

3. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

thank you and those are great tips :)

4. mcdizzy

mcdizzy "Now Who's the Dumbass Dumbass"

Excellant idea A!!! Be glad to submit some!

Becky

5. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

oh please do and maybe others will join in

6. SMRoz

SMRoz Coast Guard Dizzy! (Ret)

Last night I took a yellow squash and cut it into 2mm strips on my Mandolin Slicer. I covered that in simple tomato sauce cutting in onion, green pepper and mushroom. I used the squash as noodles covered it in sauce and put my chicken breast on there. It was really good. If you want I can make that into a recipe format for you and give more details and even pictures.

7. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

yes please do and the amount of sodium if you could

8. tm53

tm53 New Member

I'm in.

9. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

oh gosh this is great...

okay - whoever interested please start posting recipes on this thread or pm me - this is so great- Ms. headnoise has been wanting a cookbook for MRI for awhile and I am so glad we are getting one together...Ms. headnoise is undergoing a lot of issues with her eyesight and being deaf (no help from CI) either she is awesomely sweet and anything to make her life easier... :)

10. SMRoz

I will do this this weekend for you.

11. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

thank you so very much

12. SMRoz

This will need some editing but here is how to do it.

Ingredients

2 yellow squash as large as possible
    2 Chicken Breasts (1 if you eat smaller portions and want to share)
    Low Salt Tomato Sauce (18 ounce or larger) or make your favorite kind to avoid salt
    Garlic 1 clove
    Mushrooms 2-3 buttons
    Onions 1/3 of a small

How to do it.

Peel skin off squash using potato peeler
    Use a mandolin slicer if you have one and cut the squash long ways into 2-3 millimeter thick strips (think lasagna noodles)
    Use a regular knife if you don't own a mandolin this will take a little longer.
    Dice Mushrooms, onions and garlic

Lightly season chicken (garlic powder, Italian seasoning and black pepper) on both sides
    Season your pan with nonstick spray and put chicken over medium heat until center reaches at least 165°F
    Fill medium sized sauce pan 1/2 full with water and start to boil
    Put sauce mushrooms, onions and garlic in a small sauce pot over low heat stirring occasionally season to taste
    When water gets to a boil add the cut pieces of squash and cook for 1-2 minutes drain immediately and submerge in cold water to stop the cooking process (use the sauce to make the squash warm again)

When the chicken is completed move to a plate and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes.
    Put down squash on a plate and cover with sauce
    Put chicken on top of sauce/squash pile (you can add cheese if you would like)

Enjoy.

13. mcdizzy

That sounds very YUMMY.....will be trying it!

14. mcdizzy

Here's mine:

Becky’s Family Summer Picnic Salad

3 heads broccoli , blanched and use florets only
    2 heads cauliflower, use florets only
    1 bunch green onions
    4 cups grape or cherry tomatoes
    1 can small black olives, drained
    16 oz Italian Dressing (or less to taste)

Entire recipe contains 480mg sodium – (depending on brands of olives and dressing). I use Wishbone brand – 320mg sodium per 16 oz
    Feeds 16-20 people

Blanch broccoli heads in boiling water. just long enough to green the heads. Cut florets into bit size pieces. Wash cauliflower and cut florets off into bit size pieces.
    Add washed tomatoes to broccoli and cauliflower. Dice up the green onions, I use a lot of the tops too for flavor and color. Drain black olives and add. Mix well and add dressing about ¼ bottle at a time and mix until desired amount. I use about ¾ a bottle for this recipe, Refrigerate until serving.

Can serve right away or let marinade. Good either way. Also holds up well without refrigeration at gatherings.

For a variation I add cooked spaghetti noodles.

:)

15. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

awesome

smr - what would you call your dish?

my very first recipes :)

16. SMRoz

I don't even know... Maybe Squash Pasta? or Squashed Pasta because squash took over the pasta spot

17. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

18. Butterfly

Butterfly I will learn to fly agian.

Im looking forward to this cookbook.. :)

19. SMRoz

Did anything happen with this?

20. amberini

amberini New Member

Spaghetti Squash:

Cut one Spaghetti Squash in half length wise, scoop out all seeds and discard.

Drizzle olive oil over both halves, season as you wish.

Bake in 350 degree oven for ~ 45 minutes. Squash will be soft.

Let sit for 5 - 10 minutes. Then take a fork and "shred" the squash length wise to form "noodles". The shell will remain hard, throw this part away.

From this you can make many dishes.

Shrimp scampi. Stir squash noodles into melted butter and chopped garlic.
    Spaghetti and meat sauce
    Any Italian dish that uses pasta
    Veggie marinara
    Base for Beef Stroganoff
    Base for Stir fry