Flying

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by julie321, Oct 12, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. julie321

julie321 New Member

Is flying a big problem? I usually have a couple of holidays abroad in a year. I dont feel like going on holiday at the moment but whats your experiances of flying with menieres?

2. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

I fly all the time -- no problems at all, except the sensory overload at the airport and not being able to hear announcements. I try to find a spot away from people to wait, and I make arrangements to preboard.

Flying affects the middle ear......not the inner ear.

3. abra

abra New Member

I've been wondering about this myself. I know flying and elevation aren't supposed to affect the inner ear....but when I spent a week at 11,000 feet in the Rockies this summer then came back to my normal 700 ft, that's when I went from "I have a little ear stuffiness" to horrible stuffiness, major tinnitus, etc, and haven't recovered yet. But my middle ear keeps testing fine. I was fine in the mountains...it was coming back that set everything off.

So I really wonder what tens of thousands of feet up in the air would do, or more correctly, landing after it.

4. daisycow

daisycow Moo to you, too.

The only problem I have is not being able to wear my hearing aid for the duration of the flight - and the fact that carrying it in my hand-luggage once set off a security alarm!! How embarrassing was that...

Liz.

5. SMC

SMC Look for the footprints in the sand......

Hi Julie
    Go for it! This thing affects each of us differently. While one may have a horrible time, another may actually feel better when flying. The only way to know for sure it to try it. Be armed with your meds thought just in case.
    SherryC

6. ripper roo

ripper roo lisa

julie

i wondered about this as well, but we went on a holiday a few weeks ago
    the plane flight wasnt that bad in fact i found if i wore ear plugs everything was fine,
    i say give it a go, you wont know how it affect you until you try

lisa

7. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Like Linda, I fly at least 3-4x a year. No problems.

8. Carlson

Carlson New Member

I must have MM of the middle ear then, as when I go to the mountains it takes me a week to adjust. Horrible pressure, tinnitis and vertigo. Also just traveling in a car I can feel my ears spasming inside, like a fluttering. It is horrible and usually when I feel that "fluttering in my ear" I have a MM attack..
    Maybe I have other things wrong with my ears, not just MM..
    I have been told in the past I have eustachian tube dysfunction. I had this conditoin before MM was diagnosed but it did not incompacitate me.
    I also have really bad sound sensitivity only in my right ear though, the one with MM... Also had TMJ surgery on that same side 25 years ago. I wonder if that is playing a part...scar tissue, etc. this is all so complicated and takes so much energy just to try and "figure it all out"....
    I just read were more people are diagnosed with MM than are diagnosed with epilepsy.... then why have most people never heard of MM?? and why is there not more research being done? Makes you wonder.
    I also found out that if I change insurance companies, that I will not get coverage or get "rated up" on cost if they see that you have MM...
    Now I am trapped in a job that I can barely function at just to keep my benefits...
    Carlson :'(