Flu shot

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by mikeg, Aug 24, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. June-

June- New Member

Hmmmm ... THey are being given in the other order here. I guess I will cross my fingers.

2. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

3. June-

June- New Member

I haven't had one for a long time so I am ok then. I wonder if it could relate to the population who gets flu shots? Here it is mostly people over sixty or who have underlying medical problems that make flu riskier. I wonder if they would be an at risk population regardless. I also wonder if they would be a population who sees the dr more often and therefore are more likely to be officially diagnosed with flu?

4. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Never had a flu shot, those things scare the hell outa me :D I saw some pretty bad reactions to them that have had lasting results. I know many get them and do fine but just my luck I won't be one of them.

5. lynnyloo

lynnyloo New Member

The four companies that will be dispensing the vaccines are CSL limited, MedImmune, Novartis, and Sonofi Pasteur

From the FDA website:
    These are links for each of the companies package inserts for the vaccines:

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM182401.pdf

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM182242.pdf

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM182404.pdf

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM182406.pdf

The vaccines will be available with and without thimerosal.

6. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

lynnyloo, thank you very much for posting the links.

I don't see adjuvants listed--and my understanding is that all vaccines today are formulated with adjuvants. Why aren't the adjuvants listed? Or did I miss it?

According to this site http://www.whale.to/vaccine/laursen.html,
    "On July 23, 2009, the FDA announced, “Currently, no U.S. licensed vaccine contains the adjuvants MF-59 or ASO3 (squalene). It is expected that a novel influenza A (H1N1) vaccine manufactured using the same process as U.S. licensed seasonal inactivated influenza vaccine but administered with MF-59 or ASO3 will be authorized for emergency use only.”

Furthermore, “Two of the manufacturers (Novartis and GSK) have proprietary oil-in-water adjuvants (MF-59 and ASO3, respectively) which have been evaluated in a number of clinical studies including studies with influenza vaccines. These manufacturers will include an evaluation of the utility of the adjuvant for dose sparing and higher effect in their clinical studies.“

"The same document indicates that vaccines containing the un-approved adjuvants will be given to 100 children 6 months to 3 years old, 100 children 3 years old to 8 years, 100 individuals 18 to 64 years old and 100 individuals 65 and older in each of the multiple clinical trials. In addition, 700 individuals in each trial will be given non-adjuvanted vaccine".

Now for the immunological side effects of squalene to occur takes months to years – and cannot be evaluated after up to 6 weeks of observation. Der Spiegel (9) calls the mass vaccinations on Europeans a gigantic cost free experiment to provide the FDA with mass vaccination experience to clear the track for sale in the US."

EMEA admits that side effects can only be found through extensive vaccination campaigns! (1)."

This is confusing.

The FDA found squalene in the anthrax shots that the Gulf War soldiers were given--but squalene was never listed as an ingredient in those shots.

I think it is a legitimate question, to wonder if it is in any other shots without being listed, as well.

Sigh.

7. June-

June- New Member

I did a little reading about Gulf War Syndrome and I think I understood it to say that while the early antrhax shots in the early nineties may be implicated, that squalene was not.

8. June-

June- New Member

Got the reg flu shot at 1:45 today. My hearing went south about an hour ago. I think it will be ok tomorrow. Maybe it's not even related.
    Seemed to be chilled last night while I slept. Better to day. Probably shouldn't have scared people with my post. I was miffed at the time.

9. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

From what I have read (Gary Matsumoto's Vaccine A"), the manufacturer of the anthrax shot claimed that squalene was not in the anthrox shot--but the FDA analyzed a batch and did find squalene present.

Check out www.vaccine-a.com

10. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

I didn't see anything scary or miffy about your post--maybe I missed it? Anyway, I hope you are feeling better. If you received FluMist, it's a live vaccine, with a higher chance for you to develop a mild case of flu, but at least there's no thimerosal.

Unfortunately,I think the people who are at more at risk for flu complications are also more at risk for adverse effects to vaccine ingredients, so I guess it's something of a crap shoot, either way.

Stay hydrated if you think you have a fever!

11. June-

June- New Member

This was for the reg flu and it was a shot so I think not live. I have enough problems with viruses as is, I don't want any live ones. The thing I read about the anthrax indicated sqalene was present but was not the problem but that there was a problem with the first anthrax shots in the 90's.

I think I will go ahead and get the h1n1 for the reason you stated. If the shot messes me up what would the actual flu do! Also I don't want to be a vector and spread it to young members of my family who I understand are more susceptible due to their age. But next year, I don't know, may go back to taking my chances when the pandemic has run its course.

12. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

I'm defiently thinking about just getting one; I go to a college with 30,000 other people and we're packed in like sardines. I can't afford to have the flu and to retake a bunch of classes because of it; I need to get the seasonal flu shot ASAP. This is what is best for me and I'll be getting the H1N1 when it comes out as well. Every year for the last 3 years I've had complications from the flu so hopefully this year will be different.

13. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

June and vikinggal, please make sure you ask your doctors for thimerosal-free shots.

According to the manufacturer's instruction for thimerosal, it should never be combined with aluminum--which is exactly what they use in the flu shot as an adjuvant.

The links that someone so kindly provided on the previous page, that had the package insert for the h1n1 shots available in the US, did not list adjuvants, but unless they are live viruses, they will have to contain adjuvants. I think it's more than a little scary that this information was omitted from the package insert.

The thimerosal-free shots come in individual-dose ampules--no preservative necessary!

Unfortunately, there is no way to predict which would mess you up worse, the shot or the flu.

Both the flu shot and the h1n1 shot can cause Guillaine-Barre syndrome, which is an autoimmune paralytic disorder can be fatal (I know someone whose sister died of it, and she got it from just one flu shot). If you already have an autoimmune disorder, you're at much higher risk of developing others. If you get both shots, I think it's a reasonable possibility that you would be more at risk for developing GB.

But then again, if you already have one autoimmune disorder, you are also at higher risk of complications from the flu, especially if you have asthma. Interesting thing about asthma is, it can be caused by food intolerances/allergies (especially wheat, but sometimes dairy as well, who knows about other possibilities). But that's not something the Claritin and inhaler manufacturers advertise.

Whether or not you get the flu shot, wash hands (washing is WAY better than Purell, which supposedly kills 99% of the germs, but it leaves them on your hands!), get adequate rest, exercise, avoid unreasonable amounts of sugar (some would say avoid it altogether), and plenty of vitamins C and D. I read that vitamin C is most effective in its natural state (i.e. fresh oranges).

One of my friends just sent me some info to wade through on probiotics. I haven't gotten through it yet, but the gist seems to be that if 80% of your immune system is in your intestines, then the intestines need to be in good working order! Apparently, the sugary Dannon and Yoplait yogurts are mostly ineffective in terms of probiotics, as the sugar feeds yeast, which overpowers the probiotics. They recommend plain , unsweetened yogurt (which, of course, doesn't taste NEARLY as good :( )

14. June-

June- New Member

I seem to be back to normal today.