Flu shot

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by mikeg, Aug 24, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

I'm convinced that you have more of a chance of developing an autoimmune disorder from the flu shot than of dying from the flu. And, since the swine flu vaccine will contain squalene, the chances of developing an autoimmune disorder is even higher.

Those of us here more than likely have at least one autoimmune disorder already, which means we are already at higher risk of developing more autoimmune disorders.

And at this point, drivers talking on cell phones seem to pose more danger than drunk drivers, as there are more of them!

2. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Taximom - I understand your concerns, and you may be correct, for you.

I have a documented allergy to thimerosol, but I get the flu shot every year. My only reaction is soreness at the injection site.

Last year, I got the flu before I could get a flu shot. Because of severe asthma (which I developed prior to ever receiving flu shots), I could not clear an airway. It was very scary. Intensive breathing treatments, steroid shots, and antibiotics to deal with a secondary infection kept me out of the hospital. I recovered enough to get the shot later on, and did not have another episode of flu.

Right now, more than 2,000 students at Washington State University have come down with H1N1. That is just during the first week of class. Will any of them die from it? I hope not. But I do think that's a graphic illustration of just how fast this flu can spread.

I don't think this is just media and drug manufacturer hype.

3. Shining

Shining "knowing is half the battle" ~~~GI Joe

NO. I do not need the thimerosal/mercury poisoning my system, and the govt can put stuff in those shots you would NOT believe. Word to the wise!

4. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Deercharmer, the FluMist is thimerosal-free, but is a live vaccine--I don't know how that would work for you. There ARE single-dose ampules (in other words, preservative-free) flu-shots, but they are not readily available, and you would have to have your doctor special-order them. They are also more expensive.

With thimerosal, the initial reaction is not necessarily the dangerous one. Since mercury crosses the blood-brain barrier, and then doesn't cross back, cumulative mercury exposure is extremely problematic. One shot might not cause more than site soreness, but cumulative exposure causes significant neurological problems.

If you look at the AMA-accepted symptoms of mercury poisoning (which every chemist is taught), the symptoms are nearly identical to those of autism.

When I had my first Meniere's attack (or at least, it was diagnosed as Meniere's--I'm still not sure what it was), I remember wondering if this was what autistic toddlers felt like. All I wanted to do was go bang my head against the wall to make the horrible sensations go away. It was extremely difficult to speak coherently, and I couldn't focus my eyes on anything to save my life (eye contact, anyone?).

Imagine feeling this way as an 18-month-old, and it not going away.

I'm not saying that thimerosal causes EVERYONE'S Meniere's, or EVERYONE'S autism--but dang, there sure seems to be an obvious link here.

And there is no way I will willingly have thimerosal injected into my body. And if the "science" behind the flu shot and the H1N1 shot continues to insist that they are safe, the way they continue to insist that thimerosal is safe (in spite of reams of proof, including leaked memos amongst the producers of vaccines admitting that they DO cause neuro problems), then I don't feel that I can trust ANY of the current vaccines.

I'm not thrilled about that--I don't want to see a resurgence of horrible diseases like polio any more than anyone else! But knowing what the risks are, and knowing that I am the group that is highly susceptible to those risks, it would be suicidal for me to get a flu shot or an H1N1 shot.

I don't know what to say about the risk for people with asthma problems. I know that the current medical wisdom is that they are more at risk for complications from the flu, and that's true. But when I had bronchitis/pleurisy as the result of a flu shot, the TREATMENT for that (Serevent and Advair) nearly killed me. Turned out, those two inhalers made my breathing far, far worse, and the doctor didn't believe me when I called him. Once again, the mantra was, "but they don't DO that!"

I went off them against his advice--and several months later, found that they had both later instituted black-box warnings that they had caused deaths in some people.

I probably would have been listed as one who had died from the flu, bolstering the argument that we need flu shots, when in reality, the flu shot made me sick, and the treatment made it worse.

Incidentally, I never had bronchitis before having flu shots. I had 2 flu shots, and immediately developed bronchitis (and the second time, pleurisy as well). That was years ago. I haven't had the flu since.

I don't know about the Seattle area, but in Western PA, the H1N1 virus is spreading pretty much like the common cold (i.e., quickly)--AND REPORTS HERE ARE THAT IT IS NO MORE SEVERE THAN ANY OTHER MILD VIRUS (gee, like the common cold). Nobody here has died from it, nobody has required hospitalization, and most people recovered quickly without any treatment at all. Remember, swine flu has been in the US since 1975. People who have been alive since then are likely to have some form of immunity.

I do think it is a good idea for people with ANY virus to stay home, although I understand that some people risk losing their job when they do that (another debate where I do see both sides). Maybe that's one good thing coming out of this, that people are now more aware of the risks of going out and spreading their germs unnecessarily.

5. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

I might, I might not. I have asthma and my mom has severe asthma. I go to a large university and my cousin just came down with it. But what I'll probably end up doing is taking a probiotic that has been absolutely amazing for a weak immune system, take 5,000 IU vitamin D3, maybe some garlic, and a multi. I do not want to end up with the flu and I've had it every year for 3 years straight it's been horrible. Hopefully this year I can avoid it. John of Ohio has a point; people get more vitamin D in the summer and therefore do not get sick. Last year I got the flu shot and guess what? I still got the flu.

6. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

Vaccines do not cause autism, nobody knows what causes it but genetics looks to play a large factor.

7. June-

June- New Member

Has anyone asked their neurotologist or allergist or immunologist this question - whether the flu shot is a good idea for people with hydrops? I think I will ask mine. I really don't know the answer to this for myself. I was all for it til the nurse at my family dr's office said it would be 3 shots. First the regular flu shot, then wait a month, the h1n1 in two shots - not sure how far apart. That does seem like it might be a little too much for my wonky immune system to digest at once. Otoh, I hang out in the dr's waiting room weekly for an allergy shot and I will surely get flu this year if I don't get the shots and I don't want to get it or give it to DH and the rest of the family.

8. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Actually, over 1800 cases have been won in court, where vaccines WERE showed to have caused those particular cases of autism. The press has only reported about 2 cases recently, where the court decided that there wasn't enough evidence. Apparently, gag orders were instituted in those cases, but they had to be reported to VAERS.

Interestingly, in the most recent case (Hannah Poling), for the purposes of the court case, the lawyer for the plaintiff didn't call it autism; he called it Pervasive Developmental Disorder--which is another term for autism. The reason for this is that the lawyers, pharm companies, and medical consultants on the defendant's side use "But we know that vaccines CAN'T cause autism" as the official defense.

And we don't know that. There are no studies of vaccinated vs un-vaccinated kids, and there needs to be. One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to look at the numbers and realize that in un-vaccinated communities--the Amish, the home-schooled, for example--autism rates are almost unheard of. But that isn't a peer-reviewed study.

We don't know that vaccines cause ALL cases of autism, but we do know that they CAN cause autism. Over 1800 cases won in court , remember? Just like we know that smoking CAN cause cancer. But in the case of the tobacco companies, they weren't allowed to fund and run their own studies, and then use them as "proof" that smoking didn't cause cancer. But they did their best to bury whatever studies they could, remember?

As far as genetics are concerned, one screamingly obvious link here is that the kids who are reacting to the vaccines, and the kids who have severe intestinal problems (which CAN be triggered by vaccines, it's been shown in a study that was conveniently buried by the pharmaceutical industry) are the ones who are genetically susceptible to developing autism. In fact, one of the studies held up as supposedly proving no link between vaccines and autism did not admit kids into the study who had a family history of autism, intestinal disorders, autoimmune diseases, etc. A memo leaked to the press (it was posted on nvic.org) from the CEo of the pharmaceutical company (who funded the study, hmm, conflict of interest here?) to the director of the study said "Remember, you can control the outcome of the study based on whom you let into the study."

In the famous (or infamous) Simpsonwood meeting of pharmaceutical CEOs and the AMA, they ADMITTED that thimerosal could cause autism--and then they put a gag order on everyone at that meeting.

Intrepid, I LIVED with an autistic child, and also worked with others. I think it depends on the severity of the autism. The ones who are banging their heads on the wall, and are unable to communicate--those are the ones that I am talking about, and I don't believe you or I KNOW how they feel.

Look at a chart of mercury poisoning symptoms at some point. It's pretty much identical to the symptoms of autism. In fact, there was an occurrence in the early 20th century of something called acrodynia, or pink disease, with symptoms matching those of autism. It was traced to mercury-laden teething powders. The powders were taken off the market, and acrodynia disappeared forever.

But the first identified autism patients were children in the 1940's--and thimerosal-preserved vaccines were introduced in the 1930's. Two of those children had parents who were chemists, working with mercury.

As far as Jenny McCarthy is concerned, I am a fan of anyone who stands up for truth. Remember, she isn't saying "no vaccines" She's saying, "we need SAFER vaccines."

My son had a very similar beginning (diagnosed with autism at age 3, by not one but 4 doctors, as we didn't want to believe it) and outcome to hers, and my experience with the medical community was nearly identical as well--the doctors didn't listen, wanted to medicate, insisted it had nothing to do with his digestion (and then he was diagnosed with celiac, so yeah, right), etc. He also had a severe reaction to not one but two rounds of vaccines.

Do you have any idea what it's like to know that something is wrong, and to know WHAT is wrong, and why, and not have any doctor listen to you? Did you have that experience with Meniere's, or were you lucky enough to find a doctor right away who didn't think you were either hysterical or making it up?

One last thought: the pharmaceutical companies now have blanket protection regarding vaccines. If you have a severe reaction, if you DIE, they owe nothing. They are legally protected from liability, 100%. Those 1800 cases that have been won were paid by the government, not by the pharmaceutical industry.

One of my colleagues found this out the hard way, when her sister died of Guillaine-Barre disease, contracted from a flu shot. The pharmaceutical company was not responsible, even though every doctor on the case agreed that it had been undoubtedly caused by the flu shot. And since the flu shot was not required for adults by the government, the government wasn't liable, either.

If you really feel you need a flu shot, please ask for a thimerosal-free one. The FluMist is thimerosal-free, but is a live-virus, if that's an issue for you. Your doctor or pharmacist can special-order a thimerosal-free vaccine, but it will be more expensive, as it comes in a single-use vial. You should ask the nurse to show you the package insert, so you can check for thimerosal. At one of my daughter's appointments, they told me that the DTP shot they were about to give was thimerosal-free, and were very annoyed that I asked to see the package insert--which clearly stated that there 25 micrograms of thimerosal (which is MORE than a serving of tuna, BTW).

9. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

10. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

Ok TaxiMom, I worked in Autism clinic all summer; watched how they diagnose Autism at one of the top hospitals in the country so I know nothing is that what you're saying? I'm sorry your son has Autism, it is a horrible condition. And yes I've felt that way with doctors, I had surgery for MM and now I don't even believe I have MM. But are you studying medicine, psychology? Have you worked in an Autism clinic, where top doctors diagnose Autism and say vaccines do not cause Autism? Or have you just read materials online? Nobody knows what causes Autism, nobody but genetics look to be a huge factor, brain damage is another; those are the top two that I delt with all summer. Nobody would know anything about the Amish because I'm sure the Amish wouldn't allow themselves to be studied, you could say the same thing about Hispanics; all summer working in clinic I saw one Hispanic child that didn't have Autism but he came to Autism clinic. Amish children "might" have Autism and Hispanics might not come to clinic because they don't feel confortable. So please don't act like I don't know anything when it comes to Autism, because that is wrong, just because I'm young doesn't make me stupid or as if I don't know anything about certian diseases; I'm studying to be a nurse for crying out loud and I've worked with Autistic kids and their doctors the past 3 months now so yes I do know things about Autism.

11. ShariN

ShariN New Member

My MM showed up before I started Flu shots. I got the flu shots because I would end up IN the hospital sick if I did not take them. DS had very serious Asthma problems so he ended up taking the flu shots too.
    I have no worries about the normal flu shots, for me and my family they work.

However because the H1N1 is so new and they are rushing it,, I will pass on this one. And the family already had a case of this a few months back.

People are more likely to have health issues because of the every day toxins people are exposed too. Polluted ground, air in most areas, toxic cleaners in and around the home, toxic stuff they pour on their lawns to keep the weeds away, toxic stuff in regular shampoo, soap and so on. I can go on and on.
    Learned a lot with DS asthma and what his triggers are and my allergies to many man made things.

All a person can do, is the right thing for them.

12. June-

June- New Member

I consulted my allergy doctor who is also an otologist and my MM dr and she said there was no reason from the allergy point of view for me not to get the shots. So I will. My concern is not that I will get the flu(s) but more that I will transfer it to children or other family members who might not be able to handle it. I would hate to think I did that. So, I have an apt for the reg flu shot next week and h1n1 whenever it is ready.

13. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

I'm with you June I'd hate to think I passed it on to my BF's grandmother, she's been in and out of the hospital all year. We got our yearly email here at work when we're getting our shots and they're trying to find out if we can also get the H1N1 sometime too.

14. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

The Vitamin D Council has a rather extensive literature and cited studies list showing that the rise in autism cases in recent decades can only be explained by vitamin D deficiency. As exposure to sunlight has dwindled, in part because of sunscreen and also because of a now sedentary interior lifestyle so common among moderns, autism has elevated.

I do not wish to get into any sort of fact-slinging match with anyone on the matter. I suggest merely that anyone interested in how vitamin D deficiency causes most autism, and how proper vitamin D supplementation can prevent the condition, do an extensive read on all the links on the Vitamin D Council's "Autism and Vitamin D" page here:

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/health/autism/

To neglect the vitamin D deficiency role in autism would be major blunder.

Then, the prophylactic benefits of vitamin D in the prevention of H1N1 influenza are rather dramatically illustrated in Dr. Cannell's postings here:

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/vitamin-d-and-h1n1-swine-flu.shtml

If vitamin D deficiency isn't a major cause of influenza cases, in this case H1N1, I'd like to hear anyone's explanation of where Cannell and his contributing physicians have it wrong.

--John of Ohio

15. mikeg

mikeg New Member

I can`t coment on the vitamin D but i can say that the B12 shots have worked wonders for me. I only bring this up because i believe a vitamin deficiency can do all kinds of stuff to you.

16. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

Vitamin D may be the new magic bullet.

John, the Vitamin D Council is a industry sponsored group, so whatever claims they make should be double checked with other sources.

But I'm a big convert to the Vitamin D bandwagon. It has apparently been linked to heart disease, colon cancer, fibromyalgia and depression, especially SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).

My GP decided to test me earlier this year, and I was deficient. He put me on daily supplements plus a two-month course of weekly 50,000 iu mega-doses. I'm now taking 4000 iu daily. It has increased my concentration and my energy tremendously, back to levels I've had in the past.

The only way to get Vitamin D is through sun exposure, milk and supplements. Of course, your doctor will tell you not to get any sun exposure due to the risk of skin cancer, so if you don't drink a lot of milk, you're probably deficient. Have your MD check your Vitamin D levels the next time you have lab work.

Of course, when it comes to the flu shot, it's important to know that you're getting the correct kind of flu shot:

[​IMG]

17. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

Not sure..don't really believe in vaccines.My neighbors friend had the flu shot last year and ended up parylized from the waist down..took 9 months to walk again.Although it can happen in 1 in 100,000,it scares me.When the chicken pox vaccine came out I didn't let my son get it.we all had the chicken pox as kids..why stop it now.I didn't let him get it until it was mandatory in schools.I would'nt be suprised if the flu shot ends up mandatory in schools.

18. June-

June- New Member

Do you know what caused the paralysis, how the flu shot can do that?

19. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

It's rare but the flu shot can cause Guillain-Barree syndrome where you can become paralyzed. Here's some info about it:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/guillain-barre-syndrome/DS00413

20. WhitHanFan84

WhitHanFan84 Doing what I love....traveling to concerts!!!

I'm definitely going to get both the standard flu vaccine and when available, the H1N1. I get the flu every year, sometime multiple times. The shot does prevent it from getting worse and me having to be hospitalized.