Flu shot

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by mikeg, Aug 24, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. mikeg

mikeg New Member

You guys gonna get a Flu shot?

2. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

3. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Yes. In a cat scan, you can see the scars on my lungs from the last time I had the flu.

4. Chipmunk

Chipmunk New Member

Yes! I sure hope I can avoid the flu until Nov. or Dec. when it is available. They haven't yet announced which categories of folks will be first to get it here in Canada, but I suspect health workers, followed by school children will be first, and that's as it should be. I'm 60, so will probably be far down the list. Do you suppose MM is one of those conditions that could cause complications. I would not look forward to blocked ears and even more reasons to puke.

5. burd

burd New Member

Oh yeah. I get hit extraordinarily hard when I get the flu.

6. vikx

vikx New Member

You Betcha! VK

7. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Yes - first the generic flu shot, then when it's available, the H1N1 flu shot. (According to my PCP I'll be on the list because of severe asthma.)

8. Aznalla

Aznalla New Member

9. June-

June- New Member

Undecided.

I just watched a segment on tv that said if you get regular and h1n1 you have to wait 3 weeks in between. The h1n1 won't be available til mid Oct. It is guestimated that it will hit up to half the population and kill between 30,000 and 90,000 people. THe regular flu kills about 36,000 annually. It is believed the h1n1 will kill more younger people than the regular flu does.

10. mikeg

mikeg New Member

Define younger..

11. June-

June- New Member

Not sure whether it means children or just younger than the usual victims of flu who tend to be senior citizens. I am not sure it is because older groups have more immunity to this strain or that it spread through the schools.

http://www.themonitor.com/articles/swine-29870-area-well.html

"So far, swine flu does not seem any more deadly than regular strains of influenza, but schools aren’t taking any chances. Children seem to be especially susceptible to the strain — 81 percent of the people in Texas who had the disease were under the age of 18 during the first months of the outbreak. As of the end of July, there were 5,200 confirmed cases of H1N1 and 28 deaths resulting from the virus, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services.

About 15 percent of those deaths were people under the age of 24, according to the health department."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/08/24/us.swine.flu.projections/index.html

12. mikeg

mikeg New Member

Thanks June, i haven`t really been keeping up with the flu news. I do have a 4 year old son in preschool and want to keep him safe. Also my wife is a teacher so we tend to get whatevers going around.

13. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Nope.

I'm going to rely on my enhances
    d immune system, which got that way by taking 5000 (not 500) IU of vitamin D3 each day.

Which raises the question (Does it?) of just why influenza epidemics always occur in fall and winter and spring, never in summer,any where in the world. Vitamin D is the answer.

The conventional explanation is that in summer, people aren't crowded into offices, classrooms, and other interior spaces where they easy transmit the virus to others. In cool seasons, we are all packed together sneezing and wiping our viruses among ourselves. Or so the theory goes.

But it's wrong.

Influenza cases just never reach epidemic levels in summertime because (at least in earlier times) enough people got enough ultraviolet-B (UVB) from sunlight to photosynthesize adequate cholecalciferol, vitamin D3, which the body then uses to convert to the immunologically active form of calcitriol. With enough of either of these (for vitamin D3, 30 to 60 ng/ml, most moderns are in the vulnerable 10- to 20 ng/ml range), the influenza virus has a markedly reduced chance of causing an infection.

I also take (in my Meniere's Treatment Regimen) 2000 mgs of sustained-release vitamin C, 400 mgs of vitamin E, along with a handful of other health-promoting supplements not in the regimen.

With all of this, I haven't had a cold or flu in 10 years.

--John of Ohio

14. amberini

amberini New Member

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

15. joy

joy New Member

Yep, always do. My husb had a kidney transplant so it's important that we don't get something & pass it to him. (Plus when I get sick nobody waits on me so it's really not any fun ::).)

16. petalpusher

petalpusher New Member

I will get both flu shots. I have problems with arythmia, and brocinal infections and also have Graves disease to go along with the MM

17. ShariN

ShariN New Member

Yes

The years I did not get a flu shot, I ended up in the hospital.

18. maryjobo

maryjobo New Member

I've been getting flu shots for 5 or 6 years with good results and I plan to get both kinds this year.
    My husband refuses to get them, but he's a window clerk in a post office where he gets exposed to hundreds of people every day with people coughing in his face and all over their letters and packages and he has a bad habit of licking his fingers when he's sorting through letters--ICK!! So every year he gets sick and then I have to put up with the world's worst patient. ::)
    I figure the injections are free and the clinic is close to my house. And as Joy said, when I get sick, nobody waits on me!
    MaryJo

19. akem

akem New Member

I'm a teacher so heck yeah! Germs...the germs are...everywhere!!!

20. tirednwinded

tirednwinded New Member

Read somewhere about the correlation of getting the flu shot and then started getting the MM . It's pretty high and usually three weeks after the shot...