Feeling accomplished and catch22.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by recentlydizzy, Apr 29, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. recentlydizzy

recentlydizzy New Member

Hurray, just competed my first graduate class! I have to say it has been an adventure here is why!

At this time last year I had my very first bad 2hour episode of vertigo. This time last year I had completed my undergraduate degree. Keep in mind I took four classes (12 hours) at a time while working full time. I was nearly a straight A student (not bragging just explaining). I was so excited about getting into graduate school until the cognitive effects of this illness started showing up!

In my graduate program they only allow you to take two classes or 6 hours at a time (one in the summer). I was able to see what these two classes required and immediately dropped one because I knew two classes was too much! Now because this is not considered full time or even part time for that matter, financial aid is not available. I tried to get a loan from the school provided list of lenders and could you freaking believe it they all said I needed a co-signer!

I haven't had a co-signer for a loan since I was a teenager... well hopefully my 401a will be processed soon so I can pay for this semester and maybe go again in the fall. This is part one of a catch22 and the other part is Social Security. I have been racking my brain on how to explain I can't work but I want to continue my education. Logically education and employment are two separate things but since when is anything Social Security thinks "logical". O well guess I'll jump off that bridge if or when I come to it. For now I feel amazing, three hours down and only 30 more to go!

2. Donamo

Donamo Guest

Congrats! I'm sure it's not easy when you have MD. And you're so smart you'll be able to figure out the catch 22 no problem! ;D

3. KennedyLane

KennedyLane New Member

Congratulations for your accomplishments!!!

4. recentlydizzy

recentlydizzy New Member

Thanks everybody! I might not have even mentioned this one class completion but with the way this illness has affected me I thought it was something worth sharing!

5. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

congrats!

6. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

That's fantastic! It's difficult to coexist with this disease unless one has a purpose. I'm glad you have found one. Keep at it even when things get a bit rocky. I wish you much success.

7. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Well done my friend!

What are you studying?

8. Aliza

Aliza I'm still standing, alone but upright

Congrats! All the best.

9. recentlydizzy

recentlydizzy New Member

My graduate course is in Health and Human Service Administration. The plan was hospital administration figured I could play the "bad guy" role really well. Also, I come from a health care providers perspective (LPN) so I figured it might be appreciated somewhere in administration.