FATIGUE - Why am I so tired??

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by dizzjo, Oct 4, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Lisa MS

Lisa MS New Member

Hey All,

I am new to this site but not new to M....has anyone found that some antidepressants can aggrivate M's symptoms?

2. Jazza

Jazza Saved by Grace Thru Christ Jesus

Hi Lisa

Welcome. I don't have MM and my husband who does hasn't ever taken anti-depressants. Sorry I can't help you with this topic.

Speaking of topics. Don't be shy click on New Topic in the "Living Room"and start one with a subject line like "Antidepressants are they linked to MM attacks" or whatever. That way as people are checking out the new topic subjects they can decide if they have any valid info they can share with you. If you stay under this topic people will assume it is still tiredness and not realise you asked another question.

I hope I haven't confused you. Please reply to this and I'll reply back with better instructions. Good luck posting. Lots of friendly people here with good advice to share.

Milica

3. Erosangel

Erosangel New Member

I am on Lexapro and have not seen in change in the syptoms either for the good or the bad. I've been on it for going on two years.

I have had MM as long as I can remember.

4. Deb S

Deb S New Member

During my last attack the roaring sounds went on forever! I realized I was straining to hear everything, the TV, people, phone calls, you name it. If more than one person was talking I would have to plug the ear that was roaring and then turn my good ear toward them to hear what was being said. I was even hearing things in the roaring ear that I knew weren't there, sounded like someone somewhere had a radio on. By the end of the day I was so exhausted I could barely stay awake. All I wanted to do was crawl in bed. The good news was that I would sleep for many straight hours. But the bad news was that I was worried I wouldn't hear my kids if they needed me. I think it was hard for my family to understand why I felt so exhausted for a full month or more. (This attack has been on and off for the past 2 months or more. The roaring lasted initially for a full 4 weeks at least.)

I hate this condition. It really stinks!

Deb

5. mcneillsgirl81

mcneillsgirl81 New Member

I was diagnosed 2 years ago. Have extreme fatigue, am only 26 years old. Have to take off work here and there to catach up on sleep or I am completely ineffective.

6. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

Some of you may be like I was which was low on b-12, it does give you some strength. A lot of people with this crazy disease do have to take the pills or a shot. Have your doc check it out. The most important thing for me though is a good nights sleep. Especially if I can sleep until I wake up and not have to set that darn alarm clock. What a crazy life we live!!!

7. johnny pinwheel

johnny pinwheel New Member

its just comes with the territory. a friend of mine has mm and he can sleep 18 hours at a time when he's tired. i can't do that but i do become exhausted quickly. my stamina is a fraction of what it was . i need naps or i drag the last half of the day. i've felt tired like i've never felt before.

8. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

Hi Leviticus
    That is a good point and worth having checked. I have had mine checked twice - the last time more recently and it is completely normal.

Even though I am not having attacks any longer I still get exhausted early and more frequently. I know it is trying to stay focused on things I don't generally need to think about.

The worse my hearing is the more I try to stay on top of attempting to hear, keep my balance and try to tune out the exceedingly noisy tinnitus going in both ears. My hearing is so poor that the audiologist said it was difficult to attempt to get any good hearing for me - I have terrible recruitment and increase in power of the h/a only makes for louder distortion.

I have talked to others who suffer from a chronic disease and they are easily fatigued too for different reasons.

Johnny Pinwheel - I do hope you get your disability approval. It makes things worse when you have additional things to worry about.

To other newbies - please do post on the Living Room area - your special needs will be more quickly responded to there.

For the record - I need a nap time some days - it all depends on what is on the agenda. ???

I appreciate all the responses here - they help others but if you are looking for better and more responses about your own problem - there is the living room..

9. im2dizzy

im2dizzy New Member

I'll tell you all one thing I've figured out with being so fatigued with M.M. My 6 month old recliner is not going to make it for a lifetime. I'm gonna have the damn thing worn out in 2 years at the rate of the hours I'm spending sleeping in it.
    I'm pretty sure my 10 year old Sealy matress is going to last longer since sometimes I never make it back to the bedroom to lay down. Just a thought. i'm2dizzy

10. twinklenani

twinklenani Guest

Thanks for sharing your "spirit" with us! So much of what you write expresses my frustration and feeling of helplessness that I didn't have before menieres! I try to find a lesson in all of this, but I haven't been successful yet! I know that my hubby of 49 years has had to "learn" to be more involved, since he does most of the errands. For the first 40 years, he didn't know what the inside of the grocery store or drug store looked like...lol The one aspect of this that I don't accept, is my inability to pick up the babies and walk across the room with them. I have to set down and have someone put them in my lap and then set beside me to make sure I don't spin! But, at least I am getting the pleasure of holding my great grandchildren and that is something a lot of people don't get to experience!!! Blessings, twinkle

11. noumena

noumena New Member

I am feeling very weary lately,sapped of energy,in particular if i have a bad dizzy spell
    hope this will lessen when this new medication I havejust been given takes effect.

regards noumena

greetings all from the UK to you,just joined up today.

12. dizzjo

I am bringing this to the top to respond to several who are tired all the time, etc. I thought it would help. :D :D

..• ´*¸ ¨¨)) -:¦:-
    -:¦: Live, Love, Laugh!´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.•´Be Happy! •´ -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸. •´

13. Catalina

Catalina New Member

Hi Joyce,
    It sounds really wise, to take one day at a time. I totally agree that accepting that you are different is hard but a "must" when it comes to start dealing with the psychological aspects of our disease.

I am a full time worker, a Teacher Educator, long term contract. I work an average of 10 hours a day and I love my job. But in the new stage of my Meniere, I feel that I cannot cope with all my professional duties and I do not know how long I will be able to hold my present job.

I often feel too tired. The vertigo crisis comes now every two months. I have had to take some medical licenses; then when I come back to work I have to make up for my absence.... really exhausting!!!

Every advice will be most welcomed! I live in Chile, South America.

Catalina

PS: I am a Spanish-speaking newby... English is my second language, but I love it!

14. dizzjo

Hi Catalina,
    Welcome to a wonderful support forum.

It sounds like you have already accepted part of dealing with this disease on an ongoing basis. I don't think anything truly prepares us for some of the difficulties we adjust to in life and when a chronic condition comes along, it is challenging.

My own experience differs from all others and yours will differ from all others. It is hard to not make comparisons, but we seem to do that anyway.

My own Spanish is un poco filled with como se dice this and that. I have forgotten so much that I learned in school and only use it on occasion. I wish I had better retention of what I learned.

I hope you will introduce yourself to everyone on the Living Room page of the forum, where most of the discussion about the disease takes place. When you are ready and when you need others to cheer you along, that is a good place to be.

I am glad you found us. I came here over 8 years ago when faced with disability. I have been retired almost that long now.

Thank you for your own comments on this thread. I hope things are going fairly well for you. :D :D It is nice meeting you. :D

15. havocat

havocat New Member

I am new to this forum but have been diagnosed with Meniers for the last couple of years. Starting in my left ear and has now moved to my right. I am also tired all the time. Currently I am on a c-pap machine for sleep apnea which should help my tiredness but does that affect my meniers? Anybody else have this delightful (sarcasm) combo?
    Thanks-

16. dizzjo

Hi havocat & welcome. You may want to direct your question to all the people in the Living Room area. My own fatigue is centered around stress and Meniere's problems most of the time.

I have a son-in-law using the c-pap machine because he snores and has sleep apnea. I would think that anyone with a sleep disorder would suffer from fatigue. I remember my father was always seemingly sleep deprived but then I found out he had narcolepsy - sleep seizures - so that was his problem. His attacks were helped by medication and several short naps during the day time.

Welcome to this forum. I hope you find "others" here with same problem so you can exchange information about how you deal with both. :D :D

17. Willi Johnson

Willi Johnson New Member

Thank you so much for discussing acceptance. That is, indeed, one of the most difficult aspects of this disease. I formerly had boundless energy and could work 60 hours per week, multi-task, and go, go, go. I can no longer do any of that. It was necessary to take early retirement, after 32 years of dedicated service (and I loved my job), because I could no longer handle it. I find strength and peace in God. I am learning to accept.

18. Liz

Liz New Member

Since being diagnosed in June, 2008, I have struggled with fatigue and weakness. I am trying to return to my job which is very physical - not sure how long I can do it. I have never fully recovered from the episode since I have lost most of my hearing in my left ear, couldn't walk, & fight imbalance constantly. My sister who is also my reflexologist started me on Nature's Sunshine vitamins, herbs and minerals as soon as I left the hospital. Later on added Citrus Bioflavonoids and Nutri-Calm, and saw an improvement in my fatigue and weakness.

Now my problem is trying to sleep and being awakened by pain from fullness in my ear, above my ear and in my sinuses above my eyebrow - all on the left side. I take an OTC sleep aid at night which only lasts about 4-5 hrs. It isn't quite so bad as trying to sleep during the day without anything but OTC pain reliever (Valium made my nausea worse, so had to quit it). Sometimes I am at my wit's end when the pain and fatigue wear me down! God is helping me cope day by day.

Thanks for helping with good advice about how to live with this (uninvited and unwelcome!) disease!

19. Cara

Cara New Member

I finally have accepted the fatigue as a major part of all of this. But, recently found I am also anemic. The quilt of requiring so much rest is less now. I too was one of those people with boundless energy, taking on projects and going non stop until completion. Not any more. Took me like for weekends to paint my living room last winter, but when I started I paced myself to it and found it less frustrating. I think once week accept, it makes things a little easier to handle emotionally.

20. ToniG

ToniG Guest

I over do it when I feel "normal".
    I wish my family could live in my body one day.