"Faking it" throughout the day

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by acujen, Oct 4, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. acujen

acujen New Member

Do any of you have jobs that force you to be "on" all day? I''m curious to hear stories of people who need to "fake" their way through their day. How do you cope with the fullness/pressure/tinnitus/foggy-brain/dizziness while you are at work?

2. daveTO

daveTO New Member

I couldn't fake it. End up under my office desk for 4 hours while everyone walk by. Now on short term disability.

3. it's not easy - i usually don't fake it they all know i'm sick and ask how i'm feeling - some folks are sincere don't know about all of them though. sometimes i feel okay and can honestly say okay but.....

chris

4. Maple Street

Maple Street New Member

My job is extremely busy and fast moving. I am always "on."

Fortunately I haven't had a vertigo attack at work, I've always been home when that has happened. If I were to suffer from vertigo at work there is no way I could fake feeling good. The only thing I woud be able to do is get to the floor and yell for help.

However, I very often feel off, and motion sick and on the verge of vertigo. It is very hard to work when I am feeling this bad, most people don't know what I am going through every day. They just think I am a bit odd. I think the fear of having an attack is the worst part for me. I could almost handle all the other stuff if I knew for sure that it wouldn't lead to a vertigo attack. Most of the time I work through it. Some days are worse than others and some times of the days are worse than other times. I like that I am extremely busy as that helps to occupy my mind with things other than being dizzy. Though there are times that I feel so terrible I wish I could just go out to my car and sit there until I feel better.

Jane

5. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

I am a CEO of two high tech companies so as you can imagine I am "on" 24/7. When I was being hit with two attacks per day I simply did not go to the office for over a month. Luckily I have not had any vertigo since Nov 09 and am basically working normally.

6. karenlr

karenlr New Member

Some days it's wild, I have had days where I was stuck at home but still had to answer the phones for the business.
    Some of my customers understand others not so much. One of my regulars a paint shop called when I was having a bad day.
    He asked me where I was, he kept telling me I sounded strange, I explained I was sitting on the floor in my office when he asked me why I could only tell him that was the safest place for me at that time. I had no idea what was wrong with me then.
    I make a lot of jokes about the brain fog, if I'm having a bad day I will tell them something like due to the rising cost of living I had to cut back on my brain cells they were getting to expensive to replace. Only a few people know the whole story about what is going on

7. egross

egross New Member

Used to be and it nearly did me in. Physically could not handle it anymore even though I tried. Had to retire on my doctor's orders and the company's doctor's also. SSD soon followed. I'm so grateful I no longer have that pressure. It's enough just to take care of myself and our home and finances. These seem to be my responsibilities right now. It's enough for now.

8. I try to work hard and am very dedicated even when i have to work at home but i hate being sick and feel bad if not 100% - i try real hard. I would love to be retired but that's another 7-9 years at least and that's if i get married otherwise prob can't afford it.

9. StephenB

StephenB New Member

It's tough when I am having the vertigo and the slightly sick to my stomach feeling. I just try to focus on what I'm doing and get through 1 minute or even a few seconds at a time.

In my job, I am at a PC doing network configuration, adding printer drivers, network administration, etc. for sometimes hours at a time which gives me a break from having to interact with people which makes it easier to cope in the bad spells. I can ignore a computer for a few minutes if I need to in order to get a little internal balance. Not as easy to do when dealing with people.

10. meetings are the hardest for me. I can't stand the crowds or bright lights. I am mostly behind a computer all day and have a few incandescent lights but i still feel very sick a lot - esp right now. It's hard but i try to make it through the day like i did yesterday and it comes and goes all day that's the thing.

I'm so sorry we are stuck with this illness. It's hard and some people don't understand because we don't look sick.

11. acujen

acujen New Member

Jane- your situation sounds a lot like mine. I work with people all day, so I tell myself to get through one moment at a time. There are times, however, I'd like to lock myself in a room until the dizziness passes. My mind is constantly wondering if the vertigo will hit at work....which will mortify me. The vulnerability it would show seems unacceptable in my position. (I know it's silly, but it's how I feel.) I admire all of you who have given yourself over to your fate and let yourself be vulnerable. I wonder if it is all of you "type Bs" from the pervious thread??

12. klauss

klauss New Member

I try and oush past it, but given my current job its not safe if I am having a lot of problems(i'm a phlebotomist). So now i'm looking for some sort of sit down job thats a little safer for all involved. I am also on short term disability

13. burd

burd New Member

I never let on to anyone I am not doing well unless it becomes impossible to hide it. I'm a good actress but when I'm hugging the wall so as not to fall then it becomes kind of obvious.

14. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Totally disabling vertigo cannot be faked through. When it happened at work, I called someone to take me home. I was usually back at work the next day -- sooner than if I had the flu.

15. SMRoz

SMRoz Coast Guard Dizzy! (Ret)

I force my way through. I puke I sit when I can but there is no understanding here. 8 more months until retirement.

16. wow 8 months til retirement that's great. I have 7-9 years or so - i don't know how i'll make it. I don't have too muh actual vertigo but everything else makes me very sick.
    SMRoz do you find any meds to help you just curious. seems like most foks don't get much help

17. snowsporter

snowsporter why go on a rollercoaster? live on one day to day

i used to work at completing high dollar jobs, but have been reduced to sitting behind a desk as a secretaries assistant, answering phones and entering or finishing out work orders. the phone or when the office is busy are the worst times as the noise can get so unbearable to handle. i try to push through each day, but against my PCMs wishes i now keep my valium close at hand. my balance has become moreof an issue as i now walk with a drunken stagger, bump into things and come close to just falling down quit often. all this is hard to hide but at least the office knows of the problem and understands when i will mention its time to go. like SMRoz the job has determined the my days are done and will retire me in another 8 months. with the vacation time i will be out the door in the begining of march. its just going to be hard since the wife does not work, so i may need to try to find another job to get into if the wife does not find one.

18. SMRoz

SMRoz Coast Guard Dizzy! (Ret)

I really haven't. I forced myself into exercise and starting the JOH and over the last few months have decreased my severe drop attacks to 1 a week or so. Though recent home stress is giving me an attack a day. Some months are just better than others I guess.

I am on Diazide, Valium (can't take it during the day because its against work policy), Prednesolone. None of those do anything for me so far (Valium will knock me out and allow me to sleep off some of an attack)

19. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

I often faked my way through a day with a smile on my face or maybe it was a silly grin! Some days were harder than others. One boss could always read me. He would ask, "bad day?" When I said "yes", he would tell me to take a break and then I would come back to my desk and find a vase of red roses waiting for me. Always made me feel better.

20. mom1234

mom1234 New Member

I am new to this site. Just discovered it. Hope that I can talk to someone else that understands.
    Diagnosed with Meniere's in Feb 2010. Since then, my life has turned upside down (literally). I am no longer working, but determined to do what I can when I can. I struggle with being a Mom and wife.
    Feel like I have done a lot to treat this...diet, meds, etc.
    I had unsuccessful endolymphatic shunt surgery and now doing gentamicin injections. Has anyone else done these? I had the 3rd one recently, but some days I feel worse than before I started them. My balance is a lot worse, now walking with assistance of a cane. I feel like I am in a fog most days, not to mention that the vertigo has not stopped. There are, however, longer stretches in between attacks, but they have not gone.
    What has everyone else tried?
    :)