Fair warning - I will be resetting this forum...

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by solari, Nov 9, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. solari

solari Administrator Staff Member

...for a fresh start. This means all posts will be wiped out, unfortunately, but it's the only way I can see getting this done the right way.

This forum has always been intended a place for spiritual and religious SUPPORT, not DEBATE. And despite my pleas above to the contrary, it continues.

Instead of just shutting this down, I will instead reset it and see if everyone "gets" it with a new start and try once more. If not, then so it goes.

Thanks,
    Ray

2. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

If that is what it means, that is what it means.

But before you do, I would like to know whether discussing the meaning of the scriptures is support, or debate. I do not want to violate any rule of this forum, and I do discuss the meaning of the scriptures. If that is wrong, or not in keeping with your intent, Ray, I would like to know that. I believe that we have had some good discussions, even with unbelievers taking part. But if that is not what this should be about, then I, and perhaps others, would like to know that now.

Thanks very much for all that you do.

Hank

3. SMRoz

SMRoz Coast Guard Dizzy! (Ret)

Welcome back Ray. its good to see you here.

4. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

It does occur to me to say that except for one abjectly disrespectful person, whom even those who agree with chide as disrespectful, this would not be coming to the nuclear option. It occurs to me to say that when the button is pushed, this person accomplishes his goal of bringing down this entire forum. He wins. Disrespect wins. I cannot help but put that on record.

That said, I understand the decision.

5. June-

June- New Member

All we are losing is a bunch of old posts. Just a lot of blah blah blah, not holy scriptures ;) It's kind of nice to have a clean slate and have all of our 'sins' washed away as it were.

6. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

I disagree with this point Hank, there is more than one person that has been disrespectful here and I think it is very unfair to blame only one person as that is not truthful. We all need to look at our own contributions to any disrespect including you and I.

I can't disagree with the point about the forum coming down being a shame but again I feel it important to say that this is not the work of one person or one group such as the atheists.

I think you miss the whole point by blaming it on one person or one group.

PS - I hope I didn't just do what we are not supposed to do but I felt the statement was unfair and that is what initiates the friction here.

7. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Caroline, with every discussion we have ever had on this forum, until this Barnyardbeast came here, uttering filth, intimidating, blaspheming every other sentence, we never had these kinds of problems.

As deep into our beliefs as Sarita and I am, still we are friends and there is mutual respect. I have learned much of spiritual value from her, and you, and INS, and even my buddy Scott. I understand much more about the way atheists think now. (I know you are not an atheist and do not mean to lump you therein.) And I am friends with all of them. And I expect that due to my efforts and the efforts of my Christian friends, they understand things better from a Christian perspective.

And these discussions can be frank. But since this one guy has been here, placing gratuitous filth, intimidation and hatred of anything Godly on display, this forum has turned topsy turvy. And yes, it is because of one individual. This individual has tried to intimidate me personally by placing my personal contact information on this site. Now that doesn't bother me because I have done that practically myself. But it goes to the mindset of this individual and tells us that he will not be respectful no matter what.

So whether Ray sees fit to oust him or not, I do not know. But he is daring Ray to do it. He does it for whatever reasons he does anything, which I do not understand. But he has no respect for Ray, has told us as much. He has no respect for anyone here. He has told us that much as well.

So why we need to sit and see his disrespectful posts come up time after time, and in the end possibly lose the entire spiritual forum, just because of this one guy, and yes, I put it on this one guy, I do not know. His disrespect for Ray today will not change after the forum is reset. That is obvious. So what is the point of resetting? I certainly do not know.

8. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Hank, please do not take my post as a defense for BYB... that is not my intent but since I came to this area to have discussion on this topic I have seen and heard a lot of nasty things and that was before BYB came along so to blame he/she exclusively for the trouble is short sighted and is not the reality that I have experienced here.

There is no question that BYB is posting to aggravate you and others and I don't really understand why but there are also other posters who also post things to aggravate others.

Understanding others who are not like ourselves is a worthwhile pursuit and I would like to see that from others too including BYB. People who disagree in their beliefs can have civil conversation and discussion with each other because for most of us we are much more than our belief systems and have other things in common which join us as humans.

I agree that the reset will probably not change some posters and I will hate to see this section go if that is what happens.

9. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Caroline,

I do not disagree with your last post. Yes, respect is the key. And BYB has told us all that he has no respect for any of us. He has told us that he has no respect for Ray. So if respect is the key to maintaining a good forum, then we will never again have a good one if it includes such a person.

Heck, when it comes to disrespect, Scott was a piker compared to this guy. And the point is that this guy WILL NOT change his attitude by resetting the forum. For that reason, we are in real danger of losing the forum right now, because that is the next step. And that is a real shame because for many people, this forum is the glue that keeps us together. Without this forum, I would not have the ability to have gotten to know you as I have. And that would detract from my life. So that would be an entire shame.

No one is going to teach respect to BYB. Jesus Christ said that we will know the tree by its fruit. I have known this fruit too well, too long, to imagine that it will change by resetting the forum.

So reset if you will, but that would change nothing.

Maybe speaking like this will get me removed. If so, so be it. One of us needs some relief.

10. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

And if this forum goes away, which one is next? My guess is the Front Porch because that is where BYB has already demonstrated his propensities. He will just place the same wares on display there. That is because with people like that, it doesn't matter where they post their filth, rather it is that they post it. My guess is the Front Porch, then Fun and Games.

11. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

OMG...., not the fun and games room.

12. Butterfly

Butterfly I will learn to fly agian.

This is exactly what I think will happen too. I have gotten a lot of support and gave others support in this section and would be very sad to see it go. I think BYB would consider it a victory if this section was closed. With that said I do support Ray in whatever he decides he is gracious enough to provide us with this web site which has been a lifesaver for me.

13. June-

June- New Member

I think Ray can figure out what to do in that case.

14. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

I agree... he's watching and evaluating

15. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

We're all culpable in that we answer to those posts which become disrespectful of the forum. I have enjoyed discussions regarding religion and the different beliefs even though they might not all be specifically about Meniere's.

It's taken my mind off my problems with my monster because it's become our monster. I too have had my hand in it and if we all don't put our own hand in it because we continued to read or inject our opinion, then what more could Ray do than shut us down?

It's our responsibility to make sure that the people who trash a site aren't allowed to by our own hand/replies. It shouldn't have to come to Rays attention. We are, all, at fault.

16. DizzyinColorado

DizzyinColorado Formerly known as DizzyInColorado

Look, I have been reading these posts for a while now but have chosen not to participate for several reasons. One would be that I feel strong and secure in my faith and I don't feel the need to defend it to someone who clearly just wants to stir the pot. Secondly, I don't participate because I am still appalled at the treatment of my friend, Aladdin. I feel that I need to make a comment here however. The easiest way to shut someone down is to just ignore their postings. All he is doing is trying to rile everyone up and it has worked magnificently so far. BYB posts something that is sure to anger Christians and he gets exactly what he wants. That is just my 2 cents.

edit: Oops, I just read that Intrepid posted the same thing earlier. I am in complete agreement with you Sarita. Dawn

17. cowcollector

cowcollector Don't hug a tree, hug a cow!!

ray,

i miss this forum, it is just not what it use to be.....
    God will win in the end.... believe in him or not.....

my prayer is that menieres would finally be cured and we wouldn't have a need for a "support" forum anymore.......

as for those who like to stir the pot, my prayers are with them as well.....

i miss everyone, thank u again ray for all u have done.
    bye guys.... :-*

18. Jazza

Jazza Saved by Grace Thru Christ Jesus

I'm sorry to hear some of my old freinds are no longer here because of some of the heated debates and some fighting here on the forum.

19. tm53

tm53 New Member

Certainly nothing you did. You and Jordon have always been quite civil, even in less than civil situations IMHO.

20. joy

joy New Member

:-* back at ya. (well, what I mean is I agree with you...)

So ... did he 'reset' & I missed it or what?