ECOG, ENG and ROTARY CHAIR TESTING.... please read

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by GinaMc, Sep 29, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. GinaMc

GinaMc Me and my friend Sally :)

Ok, I just heard from my ENT's office and they are suggesting these tests. An ENG, ECOG and Rotary Chair testing prior to my appt. I have an appt on Monday to have these tests done and I was wondering if anybody can give me some advice as to what each are? and what they are looking for? The PA that I talked to said it will be a good test to find out if the most recent attack I am having is in fact the MM flaring up or if I have fluid in the inner ear?? maybe a PLF leak?? Just wondering if anyone has had any or all of these test and what it's all about. I would appreciate any advice.... please...

GinaMc

2. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

LOL Gina, I've had MM for so long, that these tests were not invented when I was diagnosed. However, when the technology became available, I was tested and the same diagnosis and findings, severe-bilateral Menieres.

3. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Hi GinaMc -

Like Sheba, I had those tests a long time ago. They are trying to determine if you have inner ear damage that's causing your symptoms.

ENG: http://health.allrefer.com/health/electronystagmography-info.html

ECOG: http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/testing/ecog.html

Rotary Chair: http://www.mayoclinic.org/balance/rotary.html

PLF: http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/unilat/fistula.html

4. GinaMc

Thank you SO much for the information... this board is a godsend... I just want to know what to be prepared for and as Im sure you all know... you don't get much information out of them when you are asking questions. thanks again

GinaMc

5. ToniG

ToniG Guest

I have been formally dx'd 4x...for me ONLY, the rotary chair is the worst.

6. AnnieKYOH

AnnieKYOH New Member

GinaMc,
    I just had these tests this past week. I was diagnosed with MM 1.5 years ago, had shunt surgery, and am now bilateral with the disease. People respond differently to these tests. For me it was very difficult. However, you may have a totally different reaction. So relax and try to go in positive. This will help you. Also, I had someone drop me off at the medical office and pick me up later in the day after the tests were over and I saw the doctor. If you can, have someone go with you or at least arrive after the last test, just in case you have a strong reaction. You will need the support and may need some help because your balance may not be working well. After I was allowed to drink something (Sprite) and take some valium to recover... I started feeling better. Within an hour I was actually able to eat something which also helped. I called a friend that understands my disease during the time I was in the waiting room trying to recover. She stayed on the phone with me until the valium kicked in and I started gaining some strength and had the ability to think more clearly!:)

Take care and hope it all goes well.

7. GinaMc

Hi Annie.. thanks for the info. I will definitely have someone bring me as I haven't be able to drive since last tuesday. I am a little concerned about having the tests done because my symptoms are real bad right now and they want me off my meds (valium) for 48 hours before the tests... how the heck do you do that? I cannot function without the valium and will it give a correct reading if I'm already dizzy? what are they looking for? if it's to see if I get dizzy during the tests well that isn't going to be accurate because I'm friggin' dizzy all the time.. it's so frustrating. I did express this to my ENT's office but they said that i would be ok and they have to do these tests first to determine what I have going on.. is it MM acting up or is it a PLF leak.. as I've had surgery for that several years ago right after a head injury. it's just nuts.. nobody seems to understand.. i was fine right up until last Tuesday and I got out of bed and went right down... how do you explain that to someone that has never been thru this.. you're fine one day and the next your vomiting and spinning out of control... they think it's BS and it's so hard to explain. what do you do? well wish me luck.

GinaMc

8. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Gina: Good luck. At all 4 of my separate testings it was mandatory I have a driver to drive me home.

9. AnnieKYOH

AnnieKYOH New Member

Hi Gina,

Trust me, I had the same problem coming off my meds that controlled the symptoms. But this is the only way for them to see how the disease is actually behaving (1.5 years for me). The tests will let them see how your eyes are responding (part of the disease as well) and can tell them if both ears are affected. It will also let them see how the cochlear (bones) are responding. My audiologist ask me "they already know you have Menieres- why are they putting you through these tests?" When I explained that the doctor thought it had moved to the other ear - she knew why I needed the tests.

You may not be very comfortable while the testing is being done. However, hang in there - they will be over before you know it and you can start taking your meds to control the dizzies and go home and get some sleep.

Keep us informed on how you do. Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

10. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

If you get dizzy during the ENG test, that usually means you're okay - that's what the vestibular system should do.

If you don't get dizzy, that usually means there is damage to the vestibular system.

It's still best to wait and see what the doctor says about the results.

11. buschiabo

buschiabo New Member

I know this is an old posting but I found it and since I will be going thru ECOG in February, found it interesting. My ENT suspects a "leak" and I guess this test will let him and me both know if it is MM or a "leak". I'm kind of hoping for a leak 'cause he said they can fix that. Oh well, pray for me as I pray for all of you.

12. June-

June- New Member

Good Luck Gina. I think these are all pretty standard tests for people with vestibular problems. The only one I have had recently was the ecog. No big deals, just a bunch of clicks.

13. cherylmcgr

cherylmcgr New Member

Gina,
    I have had all 3. I got my official dx after the ecog test the others were inclusve. Good luck to you.
    Cheryl

14. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man Menieres symptoms off and on for 3 years, left ear

How do they determine a PLF and what exactly is that? I assume that can cause Meniere's symptoms? Thanks in advance for your input.

15. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

http://www.menieres.org/jacki/jackis70.htm