Earthquake

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by dolfan, Mar 29, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

Every time I hear about an earthquake, I think back to when my mom an dad took me to see "Earthquake" in sensurround with Charlton Heston. That movie gave me nightmares for weeks. :D I really hope that L.A. does not get the big one. It is a beautiful area of the country.

2. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Beautiful indeed!

I have heard San Francisco is the most beautiful city in the country with San Diego right there. I have been to neither.

3. chrisk

chrisk New Member

The epicenter was 2 miles from our home and only 1 kilometer below the surface, that means we were really close. Shook us pretty good, some minor damage in the area but we got through it ok.

4. Nathan

Nathan New Member

If by "the big one" you're referring to the tectonic subduction of megathrusts along major convergent boundaries, the Cascadia subduction zone is of no exception. Vancouver Island/British Columbia, Washington, Oregon & California have drifted atop of this Fault line & will remain calmly seated above this North American & Juan de Fuca plate separating boundary for millions of years to come.

The above Province & American states have had & will inevitably experience Megathrusts again. Whether or not the latitude of Los Angeles grants enough distance from northern California's greater vulnerability, whether or not infrastructure along this fault line holds & whether or not further subductions occur within your life time are different questions.

Perhaps look at it this way. The geological beauty of California is due to geological activity. If we were to live on a geologically inactive planet, we would cease to obtain a planetary dynamo. In the absence of a molten metallic dynamo, Earth would be devoid of a magnetic field & subsequently a protective magnetosphere. Without a magnetosphere our poles would be stripped bare of majestic aurora, our breathable atmosphere would sputter slowly, the oceans would boil, the diversity & beauty of all life above Earth's surface would be radioactively vaporized by the Suns solar wind &, if defiant, remaining life would be helplessly exposed to the sporadic bombardment of solar flares & coronal mass ejections.

Have a nice day.

5. daBronx

daBronx New Member

In October 1989 during one of the World Series baseball games the S.F.bay area had the Loma Prieta earthquake.It was 6.9 on the Richter scale.It killed 63 people.Thank God I wasn't living here then.I was living in Mission Viejo in southern California.In 1906 I believe San Francisco had a very big earthquake.We coninue to get tremors here every now and then.It's all part of life.Some places get tornedoes,some places get hurricanes and some places like Nathan has mentioned get earthquakes.There's nothing we can do about it.