Dramatic Change in Hearing?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by kaiguy55, May 4, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. kaiguy55

kaiguy55 New Member

Hi All,

My low frequency hearing in my MM ear had been really bad for the last month or so, and some of my mid and high frequencies had dropped for the first time as well (according to a hearing test last Wednesday). My doctor prescribed some steroids and later than evening I had a vertigo attack. When it was over, I could hear better again (this is usually what happens for me) but after a day, I noticed my hearing was really off and my tinnitus was the worst I think it has ever been.

What is really strange about it, however, is that this time, my high frequencies have all dropped dramatically (I checked with an online hearing test) and my lows stayed okay. This has never happened to me before.

Just looking to see if anyone else has experienced something like this before. Do other people have losses before/after attacks that shift substantially from one end of the hearing spectrum to the other?

2. recentlydizzy

recentlydizzy New Member

My objective experience (audio tests) is a fluctuation of hearing loss. One very complete hearing test one the first of the year 2013 and another in November 2013 small doctor office showed differences from high lvl loss to "stone cold normal" per small office ENT. It is strange and maybe medically not strange at all but when I have lots of ear pressure I can tell (subjectively) that my hearing isn't as good as it should be. It feels like after a vertigo attack the ear pressure is less and my hearing feels improved. Those are subjective experiences as I live too far away 140 miles from the nearest audiologist to get tested mid episode.

3. kaiguy55

kaiguy55 New Member

Thanks for your reply, RecentlyDizzy. I think what is so scary/difficult about this constant fluctuation is that it is getting progressively worse and every time there is a dramatic change I am always left frightened that this is the time it won't recover!

Anyway, just wondering what other's out there have found with their hearing issues.

4. nicmger

nicmger New Member

Initially for the first couple of years all of my hearing loss was specific to the lower range. However, the past couple of years my upper tones have been dramatically impacted as well. Last year hearing test at the audiologist was I had one (1) tone that I heard perfectly...that was it. Every time leading up to vertigo my hearing drops, each time after vertigo hearing comes back but never as "good" as it was prior.

When I lost my hearing suddenly and completely overnight, the steriods did help me get most of my hearing back.

Good luck